Edge takes the lead vocals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Phes

The Fly
Edge has taken the lead vocals a couple of times - should he take them more often or should he stick to his guitar playing?

Stick to the guitar Edge...
icon14.gif

I adore Edge's singing, and Van Dieman's Land and Seconds (I think he sang that) are some of my fave past U2 moments..

But unless the song is really special, I think if he and Bono were to trade off verses in a song it would sound to Boy Band-y. Edge is such a presence with his guitar, I guess I would have to just form an opinion on a case by case basis.

i love edgey, but if he sang what would bono do?

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I adore Edge's singing, and Van Dieman's Land and Seconds (I think he sang that)

Edge did not sing Seconds. It was Bono(obviously, since it wasn't Edge).

I think Edge's voice has greatly improved since Van Diemen's Lan. I for one, hated his singing in that song. It Sounded like some one trying to sing for the first time in his life. But now, it seems as though he's been taking singing lessons cause he's reaching notes that I never thought Edge could reach. I didn't even know it was him singing in Stuck.

It would be great to hear him sing one or 2 songs in the next album.

Originally posted by Seconds:
It would be great to hear him sing one or 2 songs in the next album.
I'd prefer a U2 christmas album

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Edge did not sing Seconds. It was Bono(obviously, since it wasn't Edge).

You were joking about that, right? Because if I recall correctly, there is a bit in the Flanagan book ATEOTW that deals with exactly that. Edge singing Seconds and people assuming it was Bono.

I didn't even know it was him singing in Stuck.

Neither did I!! ANd when I saw my first Elevation show and there he was singing away, I was soooo impressed. But I prefer him in those roles, singing back-up. I think a whole song would be too much, even though I am a HUGE Edge fan.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Im trying to think of all the songs that Edge sings lead in...

Seconds
Van Diemen's Land
Numb
Corpse

thats all of em right?

------------------
And I felt like a star...

I think it should be up to Edge himself. He's got a GREAT voice and is a VERY talented musician with the guitar. Either way perfect music comes from that man. But I think how about him singing a lil more with the guitar to show off a bit. Come on Bono has the spotlight on him enough lol. give the others a shot. ok i'm done.
LATERS!
-Me-

isnt he the lead singer?????? oh i hadd them confused....hahah kidding
i didn know he sang van diemens land. i always wondered who that was though. but even if edge is kind of good, bono is so much better than anybody else singing. have u heard second 4:00 on heartland? thats just amazing.

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

I've said it many times before, Edge NEEDS a solo album that will showcase his amazing guitar work AND HIS VOICE!!

A mere 3-4 songs over 25 years is all we get? Come on, you guys!
biggrin.gif

Hey, what the hell, throw Lardence in there as well!
wink.gif

disco

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
You were joking about that, right? Because if I recall correctly, there is a bit in the Flanagan book ATEOTW that deals with exactly that. Edge singing Seconds and people assuming it was Bono.

Damn Crap Son Of A motherless goat!! You're right!!! That is Edge singing the first verses. I had no freaking idea!!! What else don't I know? Does Larry sing One?????

not to fear edge is plottign to take over u2 you see....underneath his beanie..he stores the plans for overthrowing bono at the microphone..he already plays bass...all he needs...is to pick up drums..and he will clone himself...and have the rest of the band liqudated...or..jus lock them in the pub..if it didn't close..they'd never leave anyways

Damn Crap Son Of A motherless goat!! You're right!!! That is Edge singing the first verses. I had no freaking idea!!! What else don't I know? Does Larry sing One?????

No, Larry's moment to shine is on the little known song "FOAD". Perhaps you've heard of it?
rolleyes.gif

Actually, in addition to all of the songs listed above, I love the part in Rattle & Hum (the movie) where Bono & Edge trade vocals on "Gloria." It sounds great!

-Mike

------------------
My U2 Bootleg Archive

Edge has got a lovely voice, but he sings best as an echo/backing to Bono, (they just go so well together).

Although on the Popmart video, he sings Sunday Bloody Sunday solo and it just makes the hairs on the back of neck stand up....WOW!!!
Mandi

Originally posted by madonna's child:
i love edgey, but if he sang what would bono do?

Play the tambourine!
tongue.gif

------------------
Hey Nico, stay strong in this world.
My girl, ignore their cold words.
The song of your heart's so true, the sai is a way for you.
Hey Nico, stay strong in this world, my girl.

SlipStream Soul

Did Edge also dress up as a cyborg cow bow and sing Pride during the Pop Mart tour?
(Which was apparently too much for some people to handle)

Originally posted by Diemen:
Actually, Edge did sing in Seconds - but only the first verse.

Well, he starts off, but they share the vocals later, after that "military sargeant and girls" bit.
Right?

I wouldn't want Edge to do a solo album. One of the great things about his singing is he always leaves me wanting more. I would love to hear his voice more, but I wouldn't want to see him split lead vocal duties with Bono.
I agree that he has a surprisingly good voice. He's come a long way since Van D's Land. The first time I heard Popmart Sarajevo, there were many times that I thought I was listening to Bono and then realized it was Edge's part I was hearing. That's a great show for listening to Edge sing, because Bono's voice was so gone that night. One of my favorite moments is when Bono introduces Staring at the Sun simply by saying "Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here."

Originally posted by Arun V:
...all he needs...is to pick up drums..

And as mentioned in Flanagan's book, he is a frustrated drummer! So, he might, in fact, be plotting against Lardence! Maybe that's why he brought back his old Gibson Explorer.

Have you ever been hit on the head with a 14 lbs. of solid mahogany? That's gotta hurt.

It's a conspiracy.

------------------
Atr?eme con tu est?tica
Quiebra mi conciencia
Novato sin pr?ctica
Adicto a tu presencia...

Back
Top Bottom