Edge Not Supporting Bono - HOW RUDE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Recently, Bono has stated that the Edge was annoyed/concerned/upset (I'm paraphrasing) with Bono for associating with such conservative leaders.

Some "fans" jumped on this saying that the "Edge knows" - meaning that these fans feel the only reason these conservative politicians are meeting with Bono is to "look cool." These fans also believe Edge feels this way as well.

Admittedly, there is a bit of truth to this. As oft stated in the press as of late, the Republican party in the U.S. only has Arnold as a famed celebrity backing them. So by associating with Bono, the lead singer of a popular rock group, Republicans may "look cool" by association.

But what annoys me is that this is NOT the reason Bono is doing this. Even more annoying is that these fans - and especially the Edge - can't see through this. They are only looking at the surface issues. What is the alternative? Should Bono sit back and wait until the U.S. has another Democratic president before he takes action? Should Bono only talk to Democratic congress-people and senators? Should he only align himself with the liberal parties around the world?

The fact is, conservative parties have a lot of power. Bono can and probably already has won over the more liberal politicians of the world - but to get action done, he needs to convince the conservative party. And this means that Bono has to talk to them, interact with them, and be seen with them.

The statements by "fans" are always questionable. Are these people really fans? Are they using Bono's exposure as a chance to slam U2 again? And how intelligent are these fans? Did they do their homework before spewing out how horrible Bono's deeds are? Have they considered alternatives? In other words, the average anti-Bono statement made by a "fan" is heavily biased and not well-researched. As such, it can almost be forgiven.

However, Edge is not a fan. He is a good friend of Bono's. Surely, one would expect that the Edge, of all people, would not only understand but support Bono's plight. Yet, we hear Bono stating how the Edge doesn't fully support him. And I have to ask why?

No, it doesn't "look good" for Bono to "align" himself with politicians (any politician - not just Republicans) - on the surface. But if Bono's actions bring about help for millions and millions of people in Third World nations, then isn't it worth it? Is the Edge really more concerned with his or U2's image than he is with helping these nations? Would he rather see Bono only align himself with the liberal politicians and complain about how nothing is getting done because of political bickering? "Too bad we can't save these people - but at least Bono looks good trying to help them."

I'm really disappointed in the Edge here. He seems more caught up with image and the thoughts of silly fans than helping save millions of people. I can only hope I'm over- or misinterpreting Bono's words about the Edge, but considering they came from Bono himself, I have to wonder... is the Edge letting me down for the first time ever?

Edge has the right to an opinion..he's the Edge afterall and as a bandmate and friend of bono's he has a right to comment on how he views certain aspects of bono's political crusade

Originally posted by Arun V:
Edge has the right to an opinion..he's the Edge afterall and as a bandmate and friend of bono's he has a right to comment on how he views certain aspects of bono's political crusade

As I have a right to an opinion. And to me, it appears that the Edge is far more worried about image and reputation than helping these people. Your reply almost seems dismissive of these thoughts and too accepting of the "U2 can do no wrong" beliefs of die-hard fanatics. Well, can Bono *and* Edge be wrong? I agree, Edge can state his mind, but at what cost? For if Bono didn't do these actions, MILLIONS of lives could be at stake!

maybe edge is wrong...but there is nothing wrong with him trying to maintain teh image of u2..because i's that image that's gotten bono this far (I'm not denying bono has other stenghts it's just that I'm sure reputation has helped")..now do I think edge should ahve said that publicly..maybe not
. Edge is just being practical
[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-01-2002).]

Is there anyway we'll really ever know what Edge believes? We don't actually know exactly that which he was annoyed with.
Bono may have been paraphrasing, or even half joking.

I think we have to ask ourselves this... after all, the media is no substitute for a quote from Edge himself.

------------------
And I felt like a star...

[This message has been edited by Dorian Gray (edited 04-01-2002).]

Ok here goes my opinion Bono is NOT dealing with these people to look cool!He is trying to do a good thing with debt relief.He has never said he liked these people but he knows he has to deal with them if the drop the debt campaign is going to work!It would be cool if the other members of u2 could realize that!

I dont think Edge is being a team player.
Like did Bono diss Edge when he did that collabaration w/psychoSinead?
I also think that Bono's compassion knows NO polictical boundries, similar to GW's.
And John you need to respond to my thread.

Thank You-
Diamond

PS-
And for the record, The Republican Party has as celebs-
Tom Selleck
Bo Derek
Ricky Schroeder
Collin Powell..oh wait
Steve Young
DiamondBruno
and
Mr
Deep.

Mr Deep made a similar assertion (about Bono/Repubs) in a dimonconfidetail correspondence and was rebuffed.

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-01-2002).]

I agree with you that most of this "fans" are biased, as many so called "real" U2 fans are, if you don't agree with the way Bono is "used" by this right wing politicians, are you less a fan?, I don't think so.
I think everyone is free to think whatever one may think is the right thing.
Disagreein with Edge makes you less a fan?
I don't think so either.
I don't doubt of Bono honesty on searchig help for Africa, if anything the most important issue for a man with the spotlight like him is to point at the problem.
Obviousy his methods are not working, if anyone thinks that he has acomplished a lot by lobbing, then it may not understand the HUGE problem that AIDS and poverty is for Africa, the main winners so far are the politicians that look "cool".
I'm sure some will come and tell me, what are the option? what are you doing?
I don't think that many U2 fans actually do a thing about helping people in need, I will not brag here what I do or don't, that is private to me.
Bono is not the only one that is searching for solutions for Africa, there are many , that obviously don't get the spotlight that some others blesses with rock stars have, but with more intelligent and more honest to his beliefs , than endorsing some politicians that we all know do nothing to solve the real problems.
Charity is needed, yes, the situation is that bad, but charity will not solve the problem, but the most important is the investment on people, education, health, jobs, as long as this people need charity the problem will remain.
Bono thinks of a marshall plan to Africa, he compares Europe in the end of WWII to Africa, that shows blindes to the problem, Europe had,even in some cases damaged, many industries, people qualified to rebuild it, Africa is place that is starving.
Of course we see politicians faces, but the others that are behind the big corporate capitals, these are the only ones that have the amount of money to develope a viable solution, will they do it? will they invest in places where they may tale decades to see profits? or will they invest in things that will make their wallets bigger? War, speculative markets, making economies in emergent countries go up and down at will, I don't think that will chnage, and less if the so called leaders of opinion, the ones that can make an impact on youth, the ones that can raise their voices and had to be heard, endorse this stablishment, sorry, but that is my opinion and if anyone think I don't respect Bono or that I'm not a U2 fan for thinking this way, well, ask The Edge.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Originally posted by u2sangel:
Ok here goes my opinion Bono is NOT dealing with these people to look cool!He is trying to do a good thing with debt relief.He has never said he liked these people but he knows he has to deal with them if the drop the debt campaign is going to work!It would be cool if the other members of u2 could realize that!

*applauds!

I agree completely. Bono has stated many times how "uncool" or "unhip" it is for the two parties to be interacting. But the fact is, Bono must deal with these people if he wants to get things done.

Bono has also stated numerous times how he feels its asinine that a rich rock star is doing this work. But the fact is, no one was doing it. If it weren't for Bono, would we even have a Drop the Debt program?

Therefore, Edge's comments - albeit, through Bono's mouth - just struck me the wrong way. At least Larry, while expressing his annoyance that Bono wasn't there all the time during the recording of ATYCLB, stated that he felt this was the most important work Bono has ever done. In contrast, it just seems that Edge was more concerned about how Bono/U2 look to the public than the goal of this work. And that worries me...

There is a time for marketing and there is a time to put marketing aside. This is one of those times.

geez... I don't think Edge really wanted to stop Bono from meeting with Bush, my guess is on that he only expressed his 'immediate feeling' when Bono told him...
that was how I felt also when I first heard, but the next second I felt it's for the best and was happy how the meeting had resulted.
It was just an instant reaction, as a leftist
wink.gif

Originally posted by rafmed:
Of course we see politicians faces, but the others that are behind the big corporate capitals, these are the only ones that have the amount of money to develope a viable solution, will they do it? will they invest in places where they may tale decades to see profits? or will they invest in things that will make their wallets bigger? War, speculative markets, making economies in emergent countries go up and down at will, I don't think that will chnage, and less if the so called leaders of opinion, the ones that can make an impact on youth, the ones that can raise their voices and had to be heard, endorse this stablishment, sorry, but that is my opinion and if anyone think I don't respect Bono or that I'm not a U2 fan for thinking this way, well, ask The Edge.

But doesn't this make Bono's actions all the more important? Corporations - at least here in the U.S. - are far more conservative. If Bono wins over the Republican party - which he IS doing (so I strongly disagree with your statement that his lobby efforts have done little) - that will eventually win over the corporations.

But again, what is the alternative? Bono could give every dime of his own $$ to this cause and there would still be massive problems. No, this goes well beyond Bono's wealth or any one country. But the U.S. is one of the world's wealthiest nations and they don't do enough for other coutries (other than interfere...). This is why, to me, it's all the more important that Bono lobbies these politicians.

This isn't about being a fan. It is about support - and I wonder if the other members of U2, especially the Edge (albeit, based on Bono's one comment) - get that.

As I said I respect what Bono does, and I don't doubt in his honesty and concern of the situation, but I think we miss the importance of this in that we only see what he is doing and acomplishing, the main subject should be what can WE do?
I'm afraid that what politicians say when they see Bono is " oh no this wako again", and then they smile and check their budgets to see what they can give to look cool, what I'm afraid and this is my concern is that the next day this politicians or coorporate people don't care a shit about the whole issue, they can look themselves in the newspapers as if they were really saving the planet.
Again, Bono fight is the fight of a concerned and honest man, personally I think what we must do, if we agree or not with him, is to find the way to do something on our own.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 04-01-2002).]

How many of you are biased? How many of you overestimate the impact that Bono really has? I don't mean to downplay or invalidate his efforts, but I see so many people talking as if he is single-handedly saving billions of lives.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Republicans may "look cool" by association.

*gasp* NO!!!!

Uhm, Bono can do what he wants, he obviously has no affiliation with any American party, so if he wants to schmooze up the Conservatives this week and hit up the Liberals next week who cares? He's doing it for a fabulous purpose, and that's all that really matters.

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Originally posted by Lilly:

Uhm, Bono can do what he wants, he obviously has no affiliation with any American party, so if he wants to schmooze up the Conservatives this week and hit up the Liberals next week who cares? He's doing it for a fabulous purpose, and that's all that really matters.

I agree - which is why I find Edge's reaction questionable if not annoying and rather disconcerting...

Oh no, not another controversial subject!
eek.gif

I'm sorry to hear that. Never took sweet lil' Edge to be that type of guy.
frown.gif
It's sad when someone lets their own political predjudices interfere with a good cause.

It has bugged me for awhile but didn't want to post in fear of being flamed, that none of the other band members seem thrilled or supportive of Bono's extracurricular activities. Is it just that they take away from the band's time, or do they disapprove of some of his views? The others were noticibly absent from the "Love Rocks" tribute to Bono for his humanitarian work.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

i think maybe we are just looking too deep into this thing, when they are not touring maybe the other band members want their privacy away from it all unlike Bono.

Originally posted by z edge:
I don't see The Edge meeting with Dick Cheney

You don't see it because they didn't take pics.

Heee heeee....yea right! drumkeeran, indeed I see the point in teasing friends, hell I do it all the time! It's just a really weird thing to pick on him about---especially publicly. Whatever, they make music, I love it, and that's all I need.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Recently, Bono has stated that the Edge was annoyed/concerned/upset (I'm paraphrasing) with Bono for associating with such conservative leaders.

Some "fans" jumped on this saying that the "Edge knows" - meaning that these fans feel the only reason these conservative politicians are meeting with Bono is to "look cool." These fans also believe Edge feels this way as well.

Admittedly, there is a bit of truth to this. As oft stated in the press as of late, the Republican party in the U.S. only has Arnold as a famed celebrity backing them. So by associating with Bono, the lead singer of a popular rock group, Republicans may "look cool" by association.

But what annoys me is that this is NOT the reason Bono is doing this. Even more annoying is that these fans - and especially the Edge - can't see through this. They are only looking at the surface issues. What is the alternative? Should Bono sit back and wait until the U.S. has another Democratic president before he takes action? Should Bono only talk to Democratic congress-people and senators? Should he only align himself with the liberal parties around the world?

The fact is, conservative parties have a lot of power. Bono can and probably already has won over the more liberal politicians of the world - but to get action done, he needs to convince the conservative party. And this means that Bono has to talk to them, interact with them, and be seen with them.

The statements by "fans" are always questionable. Are these people really fans? Are they using Bono's exposure as a chance to slam U2 again? And how intelligent are these fans? Did they do their homework before spewing out how horrible Bono's deeds are? Have they considered alternatives? In other words, the average anti-Bono statement made by a "fan" is heavily biased and not well-researched. As such, it can almost be forgiven.

However, Edge is not a fan. He is a good friend of Bono's. Surely, one would expect that the Edge, of all people, would not only understand but support Bono's plight. Yet, we hear Bono stating how the Edge doesn't fully support him. And I have to ask why?

No, it doesn't "look good" for Bono to "align" himself with politicians (any politician - not just Republicans) - on the surface. But if Bono's actions bring about help for millions and millions of people in Third World nations, then isn't it worth it? Is the Edge really more concerned with his or U2's image than he is with helping these nations? Would he rather see Bono only align himself with the liberal politicians and complain about how nothing is getting done because of political bickering? "Too bad we can't save these people - but at least Bono looks good trying to help them."

I'm really disappointed in the Edge here. He seems more caught up with image and the thoughts of silly fans than helping save millions of people. I can only hope I'm over- or misinterpreting Bono's words about the Edge, but considering they came from Bono himself, I have to wonder... is the Edge letting me down for the first time ever?

First of all, I think that many of us are over-reacting to this. We do not know exactly what the edge said. All we know is the small sampling that Bono revealed in the press. The Edge does not like Bono hanging around with conservatives. So what! It is not a big deal. He is not the only one who thinks that hanging with conservatives is wrong. Yes, many people cannot and will not see that the fact is that Bono is hanging with these people to do some good in the world and he doesnt care what people say about him. Good for Bono, I support him and I say forget about the ignorant people who are so dense and high on their pedestal and assume that Bono is being used. Maybe Bono is being used and he is using as well. If lives are saved, then it is all for the better.....

We do not know why the Edge disagrees or if he even wanted Bono to mention this in the media(Bono does tend to shoot his mouth of against other peoples will; I know, I am assuming again....sorry.)

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
I dont think Edge is being a team player.
Like did Bono diss Edge when he did that collabaration w/psychoSinead?
I also think that Bono's compassion knows NO polictical boundries, similar to GW's.
And John you need to respond to my thread.

Thank You-
Diamond

PS-
And for the record, The Republican Party has as celebs-
Tom Selleck
Bo Derek
Ricky Schroeder
Collin Powell..oh wait
Steve Young
DiamondBruno
and
Mr
Deep.

Mr Deep made a similar assertion (about Bono/Repubs) in a dimonconfidetail correspondence and was rebuffed.

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-01-2002).]

Let's not forget:
Bruce Willis
Charlton Heston (sp?)

Originally posted by MBH:
I say forget about the ignorant people who are so dense and high on their pedestal and assume that Bono is being used. Maybe Bono is being used and he is using as well. If lives are saved, then it is all for the better.....

We do not know why the Edge disagrees or if he even wanted Bono to mention this in the media(Bono does tend to shoot his mouth of against other peoples will; I know, I am assuming again....sorry.)

Too bad we cannot have an argument here bassed on ideas, but on dismising people calling them ignorant dense or in a pedesal, I think that to call someone like that one has to be actually in that position. To know someone, just let him talk, and the way he talks that is who he is.

People assume lives are saved, what they don't see is that many will not be, if this are the kind of solutions this world is going to offer.

And I recomend better to get informed instead of assuming.

------------------

U2 IS A ROCK BAND they make music.i think we have presedents and all these people in high power.bono should know that.
i hate people saying that lives will be lost what the fuck are the world leaders doing who put them there, does it take a rock star to show them the fucking light.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

[This message has been edited by shaun vox (edited 04-01-2002).]

Bono's saving at least a couple of hundred lives or maybe at least thousands... thats a lot of lives...

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Back
Top Bottom