Edge Not Supporting Bono - HOW RUDE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure if I read the same comments as you did, but I think you are extrapolating way too much from these offhanded comments made by Bono about Edge's concerns about Bono's meetings with conservative politicians. Trying to stir the pot a little, eh?

I think Bono or Edge or both was only making light of the irony and outrageousness of what he is doing and that it looks uncool. I don't think anyone would seriously say that Bono shouldn't do what he is doing because it might make certain fans uncomfortable. The only problem with Bono's efforts from the rest of the band's perspective is the lack of focus on making music and U2. That is the real concern.

Karl

Republicans are cool. Why else would Bono want to be seen with them. Bono is the wants to be cool and chic. Edge is sort of geeky, so he wants Bono to have some photo ops with geeky liberals rather then the cool conservatives... it happens. Its like a tv sitcom when the geek friend hangs out with the cool kids and gets his/her old geek friends mad. Its not a big deal. I'm sure someone will learn something from this experience.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

my friends, I know that I am a mere ape, but listen to me when I say:
just because they are in the same band, it does not mean they must agree about all things political
Mr. The Edge's concerns, if truly stated here, are I feel, valid-- he does not, I am sure, want to see his bandmate used or abused by anyone, whether they be a liberal, conservative, or an ape such as myself. Mr. B. Vox, for his part, is surely trying to secure aid for the underpriveleged, a fine goal and one worthy of emulation by conservatives and liberals, alike. Also, it would seem that Mr Vox feels he has a good deal of influence and some would say, control over the situation, thus feeling that Mr The Edge's concerns are invalid and maybe even selfish and petty. Perhaps Mr The Edge pursues similar admirable goals out of the public eye; then again, perhaps he does not-- who can ape-ily say? In either case, let us be sure not to slip on the banana of speculation and read too much into their remarks. I shall caution that when remarks come third-hand, my human friends, they should be regarded with the most delicate of care. mr the edge's remarks were filtered through bono's ears and then those of the newsmedia before appearing on our own interference.

I apologize for my apey long sentences. They are most uncouth. What matters most to me, I must confess, is that they make beautiful music together as a unit. I care not if the band's political situation is one of discord.

I shall leave you all be now, and return to my PLEBAn habitat, but not without first presenting you with this:
*banana of unity*

------------------
"You might say I'm the 'top banana'!" ~ myself

it all comes down to this: U2 are a BAND first and foremost, it's nice that they have used their fame to help people politically, but their main objective should be to play MUSIC.
i honestly could care less if they did anything else. i believe Edge is right, Bono needs to stop fucking around with politicians and concentrate on music.

I remember a little while back when there were terrible floods in Mozambique (thats in Africa!) Bono AND Edge went over there to do their bit to help out with the humanitarian aid effort. I think that tells you where Edge's thoughts lay.

I don't see why so much fuss must be made out of third-hand remarks. We don't know whether it was meant seriously or mockingly and whatever we're trying to deduce it's like trying to guess what the cat looks like when all you see is it's tail.

(from The Guardian): "It's a strategy that comes with risks. Is it possible to appear in public with the likes of Helms and Bush and preserve that precious commodity - street-cred? If it's not, says Bono, it's a price worth paying. "Edge was pleading with me not to hang out with the conservatives. He said, 'You're not going to have a picture with George Bush?' I said I'd have lunch with Satan if there was so much at stake. I have friends who won't speak to me because of Helms. But its very important not to play politics with this. Millions of lives are being lost for the stupidest of reasons: money. And not even very much money. So let's not play, Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? Let's rely on the moral force of our arguments."

Hhhmm - maybe you all read a different quote, but what I 'heard' when I read this was that rolling his eyes, sarcastic, OH GOD here we go again, speak between good friends. You can always count on your mates to be a touchstone to refer back to.

------------------
Mone

You ain't nothin without a rhythm section to back you up.

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

Bono cannot make an appearance without the ?U2? association. Unless the band breaks up, and Bono is perceived as a solo artist, The Edge concerns seem very legitimate to me. I hope that Bono will consider his fellow band mate?s feelings. Sometimes one needs a true friend to tell them things they cannot see for themselves. The Edge has been there from the beginning. Who better?

Originally posted by rafmed:

Too bad we cannot have an argument here bassed on ideas, but on dismising people calling them ignorant dense or in a pedesal, I think that to call someone like that one has to be actually in that position. To know someone, just let him talk, and the way he talks that is who he is.

People assume lives are saved, what they don't see is that many will not be, if this are the kind of solutions this world is going to offer.

And I recomend better to get informed instead of assuming.

My "dense" and "ignorant" comments were in reference to the many people who ASSUME that Bono is simply trying to look cool, is a clown, doesnt really care about the situation in Africa and compare him to other celebrities who align themselves with causes to look good.

Yes, people who think that are IGNORING the FACTS. The facts are that Bono has spent much time, effort and money(being away from the band is money in itself) to help a good cause. Yes, many lives WILL NOT be saved in Africa and that is a terrible thing. However, Bono's work has at least brought attnetion to it and more lives would most likely be lost if he did not dedicate himself to this cause. To ignore FACTS is IGNORANT and DENSE. I am not ignorant and dense(at one pt. or another we all are, thought). I dont appreciate you accusing me of these dubious qualities, either.

I should have made this clear in my original post. Reply, if you may....

So did Bono make it sound like Edge was being sarcastic? a sarcastic tone doesn't come across in print.

was Edge referring to the fact that Bono has been seen with alot of conservatives and few liberals lately? [note the LATELY!]

does Edge feel Bono is taking too many people and losing the message?

who cares what Edge thinks? I support the band's view but remember they're a family. they disagree. they tease. and at the end of the day they make the best music out there. being a U2 fan doesn't mean you have to agree or disgree with the band. It doesn't mean you have to support Amnesty and Greenpeace and Jubilee 2000. It just means you have to enjoy the music. Debate the rest if you want.....the music is the music.

As others have said, we don't really know what Edge thinks. But just based on what is written here that he said, maybe it has less to do with image and more to do with wanting Bono in the studio instead of Washington. They are first and foremost a R&R band, after all.

I understand what Bono is doing (I think) and I support it. But nonetheless, it still makes my stomach turn a bit when I see these photos of him with Bush et al (Clinton, too)...just a gut reaction. But I also see the bigger picture.

Originally posted by MBH:
My "dense" and "ignorant" comments were in reference to the many people who ASSUME that Bono is simply trying to look cool, is a clown, doesnt really care about the situation in Africa and compare him to other celebrities who align themselves with causes to look good.

Yes, people who think that are IGNORING the FACTS. The facts are that Bono has spent much time, effort and money(being away from the band is money in itself) to help a good cause. Yes, many lives WILL NOT be saved in Africa and that is a terrible thing. However, Bono's work has at least brought attnetion to it and more lives would most likely be lost if he did not dedicate himself to this cause. To ignore FACTS is IGNORANT and DENSE. I am not ignorant and dense(at one pt. or another we all are, thought). I dont appreciate you accusing me of these dubious qualities, either.

I should have made this clear in my original post. Reply, if you may....

Speaking about Bono I have stated that I respect what he does, and that is a shame someone could ever doubt about his honesty.

What I don't agree are the methods, I have stated about them.
Speaking of the adjetives you used, I think are out of place, maybe as you say, it would be helpfull to clarify them better, I hope I wasn't harsh, I just felt I had to question them since I think it doesn't help a proper argument.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 04-02-2002).]

Speaking about Bono I have stated that I respect what he does, and that is a shame someone could ever doubt about his honesty.

What I don't agree are the methods, I have stated about them.
Speaking of the adjetives you used, I think are out of place, maybe as you say, it would be helpfull to clarify them better, I hope I wasn't harsh, I just felt I had to question them since I think it doesn't help a proper argument.

What methods do you disagree with? What suggestions would you make to Bono to get better results. You should state these methods if you are confident in them.

I clarified my adjectives in the 2nd post. People who ignore Bono's factual attempts at aiding Africa are IGNORANT or too DENSE to understand. If those are harsh words or if you feel that they dont help support my statement, then so be it.

omg!

it seems pretty plain to me that bono was joking. maybe edge didn't even ever say that.

you ever notice how bono says bye bye this way and edge says it that way? wassssup wid dat????????

In my fisrt post in this thread I explained what I think and what other help organizations think.
Endorsing what politicians and corporate bussines men are doing now, just will delay a real solution.
People should put in perspective the amount of money given by the governments and organizations and the size of the problem,
if we are gona be happy and smile with Mr. Bush for the so called effort he is doing then we are blind. To know the facts, we need to research about quantities and needs.
Any organization that tries to help Africa should have wider expectations.
And if stating facts is dense or ignorant so be it as you say, and obviously is hard for some to post based on facts, many always have to turn to the adjetives without state reasons.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

In my fisrt post in this thread I explained what I think and what other help organizations think.
Endorsing what politicians and corporate bussines men are doing now, just will delay a real solution.
People should put in perspective the amount of money given by the governments and organizations and the size of the problem,
if we are gona be happy and smile with Mr. Bush for the so called effort he is doing then we are blind. To know the facts, we need to research about quantities and needs.
Any organization that tries to help Africa should have wider expectations.
And if stating facts is dense or ignorant so be it as you say, and obviously is hard for some to post based on facts, many always have to turn to the adjetives without state reasons.

I never said that stating facts is ignorant and dense. I said that some of the letters to TIME regarding Bono's activism are dense and ignorant b/c they are ignoring the fact what Bono is doing.

Yes, there is much that is not being done and more and more research is necessary. Many changes have not and will not take place in Africa. However, Bono's work is a step in the right direction and Africa is better off for it as people in Africa have stated(reference to old articles @ Youtwo.net)

By the way, if you want a hardcore conservative point of view on this, there is an article currently up @ Youtwo.net that rips into Bono. Check it out.

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
#1 PRIORITY:
MUSIC.

Why? Because they are a music group? Why can't family, friends or outside interests by the "#1 priority?"

Besides, U2 just released a major selling album with 4 singles (that included 3 new songs) and a tour that featured over 100 concerts. Bono and Edge are already working on other collaborations (Bono and the Corrs and the remake of "Stay") and U2 are now working on releases for the second "Best Of," the Martin Scorsese film, and the new album. Therefore, it seems rather naive to dismiss all of Bono's hard work on Debt Relief with a one-line comment about music being the #1 priority, when U2 have in fact done created quite a bit of music lately. And, as I wrote above, who said that music has to be #1?

doctorwho, do we have a quote of what exactly The Edge said? Sounds like it could've been an off-the-cuff remark that Bono uses as an excuse to remind people that just because he is associating with conservative leaders for this important cause doesn't mean he and the band are aligning themselves with the politically conservative viewpoint.

Originally posted by MBH:
I never said that stating facts is ignorant and dense. I said that some of the letters to TIME regarding Bono's activism are dense and ignorant b/c they are ignoring the fact what Bono is doing.

Yes, there is much that is not being done and more and more research is necessary. Many changes have not and will not take place in Africa. However, Bono's work is a step in the right direction and Africa is better off for it as people in Africa have stated(reference to old articles @ Youtwo.net)

By the way, if you want a hardcore conservative point of view on this, there is an article currently up @ Youtwo.net that rips into Bono. Check it out.

I agree on you on the perceptions on some magazines like TIME, and yes, is the right direction, only I think it can be do more, nothing against the B-man.

I read the article, what can I say, is bullshit, sorry.

------------------

I agree on you on the perceptions on some magazines like TIME, and yes, is the right direction, only I think it can be do more, nothing against the B-man.

I read the article, what can I say, is bullshit, sorry.

Why do you think the Time article is Bullshit? Biased, maybe; bullshit, no.

If you want to read someone that really thinks that Bono and his ideas is bullshit, go to U2news.com and click on the article entitled, "Bono and his Bandits." It appears on Worldnetdaily.com The writer cricifies Bono's intentions....Check it out if you'd like.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Why? Because they are a music group? Why can't family, friends or outside interests by the "#1 priority?"

Besides, U2 just released a major selling album with 4 singles (that included 3 new songs) and a tour that featured over 100 concerts. Bono and Edge are already working on other collaborations (Bono and the Corrs and the remake of "Stay") and U2 are now working on releases for the second "Best Of," the Martin Scorsese film, and the new album. Therefore, it seems rather naive to dismiss all of Bono's hard work on Debt Relief with a one-line comment about music being the #1 priority, when U2 have in fact done created quite a bit of music lately. And, as I wrote above, who said that music has to be #1?

because, Music is the way U2 expressed themselves primarily. you can use music to do all the stuff you mentioned. love, politics, morals, you name it. U2 has done that before, and they should continue to do so. therefore their #1 priority should be music.
just as we know little about their families, we know equally as much about their relationships towards each other and what edge really said.

Back
Top Bottom