Edge is a great singer....who?s with me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Yes, he is...but he?s way tooo shy, LOL

Now seriously, I developted a new habit, which is singing along with Edge, instead of Bono, of course when Edge sings
biggrin.gif

I love some chorus and backing vocals he does regularly. In New Years Day, for instance, when Bono sings "I will be with you again", Edge keeps on singing ahhh...ahhh...ahhh...ahhh...okay you got it (at least I hope so
biggrin.gif
)

Another song I love to sing along with Edge is Staring at the Sun acoustic (from the single Please), he sings the 2nd voice so beautifully...Try that one, you?ll see!

And don?t forget the last verses of Stuck, of course (although I can?t reach that high)

And of course, the honourable mentionings of his solo work on Seconds, Van Diemen?s Land and Numb.

I think U2 is so blessed to have such a great guitar player...who happens to be a great singer!

Your thoughts?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 10-18-2001).]

Yeah.. the album version of Gone is just so wrong without Edge's harmony. and on the solo songs he is amazing too.. Van Diemen's Land is greeeaat! I think this song is generally underappreciated.

I think your exactly right! I think Edge is a great singer and for a while when I thought Bono's voice might be going I was trying to think of what U2 would sound like with Edge singing more of the songs. I am, of course, glad that Bono's voice actually isn't failing, but I hope to hear more from Edge! I liked Seconds.

I can reach the high notes at the end of Stuck, but only on my good days.

I think his backup singing is beautiful. He has a silvery voice. It's like this silver edge to Bono's voice. And I really mean "edge"!! I'm not just making a dumb pun!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Love is the heartbeat of the universe

Yaahh follower!! I'm always doing the Edge harmonizing parts! It's become a habit now actually, heh. But yeah! I love his voice- it's so purdy! I hope he's got another solo song coming up!!!!!!!!

My favorite part of Stuck is when Edge comes in - it's great. Van Dieman's land is just awesome, and I agree w/ Skeek. I haven't heard Seconds, forgive me. I thought I had, but someone in this internet world called it that but it wasn't.

Anyways, EDGE rocks!

I think Edge has a gorgeous voice. I love it when he sings solo. I have a version where he is singing Sunday Bloody Sunday live, and I ADORE it. It just has a different feel to it. His voice has an undescribable quality to it.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I think someone asked him in the chat last week how come he doesnt sing solo more often. I think he should! I know Bono is a great singer, but EDGE is great too
biggrin.gif
I can't even sing as high as he does in Stuck!

Other songs he sings, in Passengers-Corpse, and I have heard a live version of Party Girl sung by him on Bono's birthday.
Are there any other songs I missed, apart from the obvious (Seconds, Van Diemen's, and Numb)?

SkeeK dear, of course, Gone live! Especially the Popmart performances, that doooooowwwwnnnn, he makes the song perfect, the album version seems really poorer without him singing.

Right on ultraviolet299, how come I could forget him singing SBS acoustic? Really nice.

And what about Beautiful Day? His daaaaaayyyy is...well, a fine daaaaaayyy
biggrin.gif

Believe me, singing the harmonizing parts of U2 songs with Edge is good for your health, LOL

And Ivan, about Popmart from Sarajevo...I got that one recently, and I love it. If there is a bootleg where we can really hear Edge is that one...Bono?s voice was really weak that night and Edge?s support upon him is clearly noticeable IMO.

I love Edge's singing--I sing along with him too instead of Bono!!!! Love the live version of Gone, and his version of SBS...plus all the other good stuff too.

biggrin.gif

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...

More Edge!!
biggrin.gif

He is an awesome singer...so sweet, such a great and generous voice. I love it in Stuck...when he comes in that's when I usually "lose it". I always sing along to his parts in the car when I'm driving along, and I love Van Diemen's Land.

I love Bono's voice, but Edge completes a lot of their songs.

(*Psst-Adam needs to get on the ball, too-I loved his part in Your Blue Room.)

------------------
Proud Owner of Larry's Stick!!!

~*April*~

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

That reminds me at the show in Hamilton me and Adam decided to sing along really loud with Edge for a few songs, notably New Years Day. It was pretty cool. I was also really surprised I could pull it off because I was winded and my voice was nearly dead after Elevation.

Edge is a wonderful singer! His unusual, smooth voice perfectly balances Bono's power!
U2 would definately lose something important and fundamental if Edge ever stopped singing.

------------------
*It's just a moment
This time will pass*

I'm definitely in agreement that Edge's vocals add to the uniqueness of U2's music.

I also sing along with him, especially the harmony on ISHFWILF. It's mostly just one note, but it really adds texture to the song. And Skeek is right, Gone is not the same unless Edge is singing too.

And what about Mysterious Ways? His harmony there is spectacular. I could go on and on! Love the Edge...
smile.gif

I love Bono, I do.

But Edge...Edge IS the U2 sound...it's not just his guitar...it would not be U2 without him!
biggrin.gif

He hits some WICKEDLY high harmonizing notes ('Stay') and just generally 'rounds out' the sound of the vocals in everything he sings. I think he goes so well with Bono's voice because he sounds very similar to Bono. I only found out *this year* that Edge sang "Seconds" and not Bono! (yeah, so I'm a little slow)

I can't listen to 'Corpse' on Passengers without getting a chill up my spine...and I'd almost kill for a SOLO Edge album...and I'm not talking about 'Captive'...I WANT SOME SINGIN, EDGIE!!!
biggrin.gif

Edge once commented that the reason he didn't sing more in U2 was that they already had a great singer...that is just the way Edge is, always complimentive and unassuming. At yet, the finesse in his voice is always evident and welcomed to Bono's soulful voice. I, like many here, would love to hear Edge sing more than he has in the past. Seconds in 1983, Van Dieman's Land in 1988, Numb in 1993...The Edge's time is past due.
wink.gif

Chris

I'm with you! Edge's voice is sweet like honey.

Van Diemen's Land is sublime. A truly gorgeous song.

And I really loved the new way they sang BD at Notre Dame. In between Bono's "its a beautiful day"'s, Edge sings "Always". Anyone else remember that? It sounds really nice. Nice touch, Edge!

------------------
when i first met you girl, you had fire in your soul.
what happened your face of melting snow?

[This message has been edited by grace (edited 10-18-2001).]

He's great, with many different styles to fit the song. In fact some times he blends in with Bono so well I thought it was Bono! But his solo work is unique. I really think singing is a bit of a hidden talent with him. Hope to hear more of him on future recordings!

Of COURSE I agree with all of this 100%! I have always sung the Edge parts of songs, as well as the guitar parts!

I also lose it when he comes in in Stuck...I wish he'd bring back the karaoke....

Yes indeed, Edge's voice works very well mixed with Bono. And he sounds really good on his own too.

I can't believe no one mentioned Wild honey?!? It doesn't get much better when it comes to Bono and Edge singing together.

Well, i like Edge's voice, but ya know, he is kinda high pintched sometimes... While he does the fly back vocals, for exemple...

In Numb he is good, i must say but.... generaly, i would say that he isnt a so good singer...
eek4.gif

------------------
*+*Laura*+*
Bono's personal bellydancer

As mentioned above (I got your joke, Ivan), Popmart Sarajevo is a great concert to listen to the Edge sing. That's the show I first thought of when I saw the title of this thread. Just before Staring at the Sun, Bono says "Edge is a great singer...let's get the Edge up here." With Bono's voice as bad as it was that night, you get to hear tons of Edge. I'm amazed at how his voice blends with Bono's. The first time I listened to it, there were several points when I thought it Bono singing when it was actually Edge.
Guitar...vocals...songwriting...The guy has it all, he's just lettin' those other 3 chumps tag along for the ride.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Spiral_Staircase (edited 10-19-2001).]

I personally prefer his monotonous singing on Numb (very sexy) than on, say, Stuck. He is a great singer although sometimes when he hits those really high notes, it can be quite piercing. Love him! Want him!

yarof

My thoughts exactly follower. I was listening to the tape of the Irving Plaza performance yesterday and thinking what a good singer Edge is. I remember years ago, the moment of realisation as to what an important role Edge plays with his vocals.(And how loud some of the crowd were "Yankee baseball" indeed!! lol).
Yet another example of great minds thinking alike brought to you by Interference.com
smile.gif

Peace

Back
Top Bottom