Edge - guitar heroics in Rotterdam 1990

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sting said:

I know you are but what am I?

Who are your favourite guitarists out of curiosity?

Well like I said I’ve a wide range of favourites but here I go nonetheless.

Paco De Lucia
The Edge
John Frusciante
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jeff Beck
Joe Satriani
Bernard Butler
John Squire
Jimi Hendrix
Tom Verlaine
Tom Morello
Omar Lopez Rodriguez
George Harrison
Robbie Krieger
Steve Morse
Django Reinhardt
Robert Johnson
Johnny Marr
John Williams
Tony Iommi
James Dean Bradfield

I love them all.

:wink:

Last edited:
I would say there are too many Edge wannabes out there or at the least too many "minimalists" out there to count in popular music b/c they're all too lazy to practice or too uninspired to go beyond atmosphere or power chords.

Sting said:

The guitarists you mentioned are good, no doubt. I never said EVERY Shred guitarist is overrated. But I feel these classically trained guys alot of times are missing something. They sound so used. Its been done before. There are millions of Randy Rhodes wannabes out there(as opposed to the 50,000 Edge Wannabes out there :wink:) . I just feel that it takes more talent to make a song sound full by doing less than crowding a song with solos. Again. I am not saying everyone is like this. I personally like the minimalist guitar approach... and I find shred guitarists for the most part boring. Sorry.

Illinformed? I don't like shred guitarists. I tried and tried and tried to like the metal greats and guitar virutosso's... I tried to see what people got about them so I could maybe get it. I can't. Laaame.

ZeroDude said:

Well like I said I’ve a wide range of favourites but here I go nonetheless.

Paco De Lucia
The Edge
John Frusciante
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jeff Beck
Joe Satriani
Bernard Butler
John Squire
Jimi Hendrix
Tom Verlaine
Tom Morello
Omar Lopez Rodriguez
George Harrison
Robbie Krieger
Steve Morse
Django Reinhardt
Robert Johnson
Johnny Marr
John Williams
Tony Iommi
James Dean Bradfield

I love them all.

:wink:

where's Clapton and Jimmy Page my man?

Flying FuManchu said:
I would say there are too many Edge wannabes out there or at the least too many "minimalists" out there to count in popular music b/c they're all too lazy to practice or too uninspired to go beyond atmosphere or power chords.

For every "minimalist" you name I can name at least 4 "shred" guitarists. (p.s. I wouldn't call someone like Billy Joe from Green Day a minimalist guitarist just because he plays power chords - it takes more than that to be atmospheric and assuming your a guitarist you should know that). There may be "too many" "Edge wannabes" out there but there is MANY more Yngwie wannabes.

JMScoopy said:

where's Clapton and Jimmy Page my man?

He's got Morello, Johnson, and Hendrix on their! Thats good enough.

Although Jimmy Page and Clapton are heroes too.

Sting said:

For every "minimalist" you name I can name at least 4 "shred" guitarists. (p.s. I wouldn't call someone like Billy Joe from Green Day a minimalist guitarist just because he plays power chords - it takes more than that to be atmospheric and assuming your a guitarist you should know that). There may be "too many" "Edge wannabes" out there but there is MANY more Yngwie wannabes.

Why wouldn't you call Billy Joe a minimalist? He plays the fewest amount of notes compared to the "shredders" of the past era and now? Almost no real solos?

The Edge influence isn't just about a sustained single note played over many beats... I mean what do you mean by "atmospehere?"

Besides... you make it out like shredding is dominant form of guitar play today which isn't. It died like in the early nineties. To shred in a song these days in popular music or even in college music is almost unheard of. There aren't anymore lead breaks in songs anymore b/c most songs these days seem to forgo the guitar solo.

JMScoopy said:

The Lovetown tour is unique in that it was the only tour that Edge really showed off his technical guitar skills, other than using effects. During the early tours, Edge played some pretty good guitar stuff then, however most of that was on the album. The solos heard on the Lovetown tour were mostly fabricated for the tour and inprovised, so the solos were mostly different each night.

Interesting point,

I would argue Edge has showed off his technical guitar skills on other tours since, though you're right that during the Lovetown tour they do stand out.

I have always thought that Rotterdam 1990 is far superior than the famous Dublin 1989 :drool:

chickadee said:
I love Edge. *swoons*

There you go, the girly take on this. ;)

PLEBA is a few forums down.

I think it's a bit of a pity that the traditional "guitar hero" has disappeared. I personally prefer to play with a minimal style - but that's only because I can't solo to save my life. There are some shredders who don't play with emotion, but I wouldn't go out and say they're all like that. I'll take one of my favourite guitar heroes, David Gilmour. Now, he certainly wasn't a shredder, but he wasn't a minimalist either. Don't tell me you can listen to something like Shine On You Crazy Diamond and not feel moved.

Music does have its place for long solos. There are a lot that don't work, but the ones that do are magical. I'd love to see Edge play some proper solos on the next album, seeing as I'm losing faith that he'll ever record with anything more complicated than a delay pedal again.

GibsonGirl said:

PLEBA is a few forums down.

I think it's a bit of a pity that the traditional "guitar hero" has disappeared. I personally prefer to play with a minimal style - but that's only because I can't solo to save my life. There are some shredders who don't play with emotion, but I wouldn't go out and say they're all like that. I'll take one of my favourite guitar heroes, David Gilmour. Now, he certainly wasn't a shredder, but he wasn't a minimalist either. Don't tell me you can listen to something like Shine On You Crazy Diamond and not feel moved.

Music does have its place for long solos. There are a lot that don't work, but the ones that do are magical. I'd love to see Edge play some proper solos on the next album, seeing as I'm losing faith that he'll ever record with anything more complicated than a delay pedal again.

The sad thing is, even a Gilmour-esque solo or a old school Clapton solo alah Politician (which aren't even about speed) aren't even around in today's music. They almost seem none existent.

I think the Edge has lost interest all together in solos which does seem sad b/c he isn't bad at them.

Morgoth321 said:
JMScoopy, have you taken the video file down from your site? I was looking forward to watching it!

the YSI link died. im making a new one, it'll be on the site in a few hours or so.

agreed with GibsonGirl and FlyingFuManchu's last posts...:shrug:

anyone have ysi's of Desire with that solo, or any of his other best ones? (the link on the first page is expired). Lovetown boots are amazing, I only have Osaka (one more piece of shit of him and he's out of here!) and one of the Dublin ones, the 30th I think...but they're becoming some of my favs very quickly. :rockon:

I never bothered to listen to All Along the Watchtower on either of them cos I figured it'd suck, but I listened to both of them the other day and they weren't half bad.

edit: n/m I just read jmscoopy's last post, thanks a lot! :bow:

And what about the solo in Bullet the Blue Sky, specially in the Chicago DVD where the Edge's guitar has a cleaner sound. Its amazing, it´s sounds very similar to a Hendrix solo.

Last edited:
:banghead:

i totally forgot i had this.

i have a video clip taken from an audience member from one of those Rotterdam shows. it's ok quality and the volume is kinda low, but clear. it only has 4 songs on it, but i'll post it on my site sometime today. i wont spoil what songs are on it.

Last edited:
^ the link is now up, get it while you can

for some reason the songs are in the title of the file, so if you wanna be suprised, dont look at the name and save as a different name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom