Edge guests with Dave Matthews Band @ Jazzfest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmbfan825

The Fly
The Edge played with the Dave Matthews Band tonight at Jazzfest on the song "Smooth Rider" MSN will host a webcast of today's events during the day tomorrow.

This is what makes U2, U2.

They play with DMB, Wycleaf Jean, Gwen Stefani, BB King, Johnny Cash, Arcade Fire, Simple Minds, Ziggy Marley, Mary J. Blige, R.E.M, Pearl Jam, Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson, The Killers, The Alarm, Ash, Emylou Harris, Robbie Robertson, Little Steven, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Ravi Shankar, The Rolling Stones, Abba, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, Dave Stewart, The Corrs, Axl Rose, Lou Reed, Alicia Keys...

who am I missing?

MrBrau1 said:
This is what makes U2, U2.

They play with DMB, Wycleaf Jean, Gwen Stefani, BB King, Johnny Cash, Arcade Fire, Simple Minds, Ziggy Marley, Mary J. Blige, R.E.M, Pearl Jam, Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson, The Killers, The Alarm, Ash, Emylou Harris, Robbie Robertson, Little Steven, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Ravi Shankar, The Rolling Stones, Abba, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, Dave Stewart, The Corrs, Axl Rose, Lou Reed, Alicia Keys...

who am I missing?

Clannad, Melissa Ethridge, Pavarotti, not including the What's Goin On, Perfect Day, and Do They Know it's Christmas...

I just got home to find 10 messages about this from my friend who's at jazzfest this weekend. He didn't expect to see him with Dave. Very cool...:up:

MSNBC is also reporting that Edge joined the New Birth Brass Band: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12534859/

From the MSNBC article
While big names such as the Dave Matthews Band, Etta James and Herbie Hancock played at the bigger stages, one star casually dropped in on one of the smaller sets. The Edge, from supergroup U2, walked on during the New Birth Brass Band’s already enthralling set, joining them as they sang “Stand By Me” in tribute to New Orleans. The group inserted its own new lyric, singing “New Orleans will never die” defiantly during the song.

Band leader and bass drum player Cayetano Hingle said his group, which was forced to relocate to Houston after Katrina, met U2 when the Irish rockers saw New Birth performing in the streets of New Orleans.

Though The Edge had said he might stop by to see the band perform at Jazz Fest, Hingle was still surprised.

“I looked to the side of the stage and I was shocked,” he said, laughing.

blueeyedgirl said:
Well if Edge is getting out and about, then MAYBE they can get onto the revised tour dates, huh, people?????? :mad:

Now, now, be realistic. :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:
Well if Edge is getting out and about, then MAYBE they can get onto the revised tour dates, huh, people?????? :mad:

Or maybe The Edge has just suddenly changed from loving father to heartless bastard.... :ohmy:

:wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

Well it's easier to do a one date performance that no one knows you're attending, that way you can cancel at the last minute than it is to commit to 10 dates or so...

blueeyedgirl said:

Watch out Indra, 1000 IFers with no sense of humour will be after you now! :D

No worries, I'm already thought of as a sanctimonious bitch by many people here. :)

(I can't post what I think of them though... :uhoh: :wink: -- just kidding, folks! I don't really think that much about most people I don't really like. If I like you I think about you, but otherwise I might vent about you for a little while but then I move on to someone I like. :) That's why I think about that Church guy so much -- he hasn't pissed me off completely yet! :D )

I just read that there's a live web cast of the Jazzfest here-Bruce will be there today

http://music.msn.com/music/neworleansjazz

And after reading this who cares about who Edge performs with (I don't care anyway- it's his life and his choice, and I like to see them perform w/ a variety of people)

(AFP) "Jazz Fest is an economic engine, it's an emotional engine and it is a celebration of the culture we are," said festival spokesperson Matthew Goldman. "It's an important time to support New Orleans."

The city coffers are nearly empty and its economy is starved for tourism.

Reconstruction since the worst natural disaster in US history is going slower than expected.

The French Quarter and other parts of the city that escaped the floodwaters are still intact and functioning.

However, piles of storm debris, white trailers furnished by the
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and vacant homes in the flood-damaged residential neighborhood that hosts the festival serve as stark reminders of Katrina's destruction.

Undaunted, festival promoters entreat tourists and locals alike to the Fair Grounds racetrack with the theme: "Bear witness to the healing power of music."

indra said:

No worries, I'm already thought of as a sanctimonious bitch by many people here. :)

(I can't post what I think of them though... :uhoh: :wink: -- just kidding, folks! I don't really think that much about most people I don't really like. If I like you I think about you, but otherwise I might vent about you for a little while but then I move on to someone I like. :) That's why I think about that Church guy so much -- he hasn't pissed me off completely yet! :D )

You must think about me all the time then considering we're like best friends by now

according to an e-mail I got from atU2

MSN is doing a video webcast Sunday of some of the highlights from this
weekend's performances. A Dave Matthews recap is due in the 6:30 - 8:00
pm ET range, and might include Edge's cameo

ElectricalVoice said:
Cool. But I just wonder... didn't Dave Matthews Band "hate" U2? I thought I remember that. Maybe it was someone else.

I don't think DMB hates U2--atleast I've never heard this.

I know that Henry Rollins hates U2, though. I just ran across this transcript of an online interview from March 29th where he discusses "The Henry Rollins Show" -- he confesses to enjoying "Lemon" :happy:

Alexandria, Va.: Hi Henry, it is well-known that you hate U2 and their music. In my experience, I sometimes find myself liking a song by someone I usually hate. Has there ever been a U2 song of which you thought, "that's not bad?"

Henry Rollins: Yeah, absolutely. A song called "Lemon" is a great song because Brian Eno overhauled that guitar sound so much it sounds like an interesting Eno song.

I appreciate and applaud Bono's humanitarian efforts. He seems to be working hard at helping a region and using his celebrity to do that. A nomination for a Nobel that would put him on the shelf as other winners is a little bit of a stretch for me, but I appreciate his efforts all the same.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic :shifty:

ElectricalVoice said:
Cool. But I just wonder... didn't Dave Matthews Band "hate" U2? I thought I remember that. Maybe it was someone else.

Dave, was quoted as saying he thought 'One' was one of the best songs ever written, in a Rolling Stone interview years ago.

Back
Top Bottom