Edge answers the "sellout" question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
however, whenever i hear "vertigo" i think of the iPod. i see silhouettes and the Apple logo.

Hmm, not me, whenever I start to hear the 'uno, dos, tres catorce...' ...my thoughts, "the bass is about to kick in right....now!"

Hehe, perhaps the bass does have mysterious powers over womenfolk ;).

Though, after seeing the real Vertigo video, I do picture Adam almost falling over kinda bowing with his bass guitar.

I do like that kick in the air, Edge does in the Ipod commercial. :)

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
They have Paul McGuinness to thank for that....

When, I hear Vertigo, I see an IPOD?!?! :eyebrow:

Then the ad worked didn't it?

And if you think Ipod, you think Itunes

Itunes= Mp3's which are LEGALLY downloaded

LEGAL downloading=more of a chance for the smaller musicians to make it into the industry and make careers out of making music, as well as letting the musical heavyweights do what they do best without compromsing because of money. Not every band in the world is as rich as U2 you know. It costs lots of money to record and promote music. If a record company doesn't make an investment in a band then the music isn't made.

to sum this up, U2 are trying to put their own 2 cents about the downloading issue. I think they've done okay.

david said:
Selling out is compramising your music and your artistic integrity to make a quick buck. Like, being something you are not. U2 are what U2 have always been: a kick ass rock and roll band. They're making the music they want to make, now they're finding new ways to distribute it by embracing the technology of today. Remember, U2 were self made millionaires YEARS before things like iTunes and iPods existed. How anyone could ever accuse U2 of "selling out" is beyond me. I respect and admire U2 as musicians and as business men. When a lot of bands get manipulated by the music industry and are basically just commodities that end up being wasted because their career is marred by people making money off the band while the band themselves starve, die, or turn into commercial crap, U2 stood above that all and had a tight grip on their careers and never once fell into the trappings of the music industry. Their career and how they did it should be used as a blue print for any band that wants to make honest music all the while not being afraid of being rock stars either.

Amen brother David! Preach the good word!

Back
Top Bottom