Early Versions of Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
Just interested to know guys, what songs do we have that exist in two forms, or rather, they are two different songs in their own right, but on spawned the other.

eg

Native Son > Vertigo
Always > Beautiful Day
Saturday Night > Fire

are there others that you know of? I can't think of more, but there are some that sound like they could be (obviously excluding demos like Salome outtakes)

Trevor > Touch
Xanax & Wine > Fast Cars
Pete The Chop > Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?) ...oddly enough haha

i'm tired can't think of any more :wink:

Trevor > Touch
Xanax & Wine > Fast Cars
Pete The Chop > Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?) ...oddly enough haha

i'm tired can't think of any more :wink:

Can't believe or forgot Xanax!

No studio versions of Trevor or Pete the Chop?
I am going to make a CD to play my girlfriend (not a huge U2 fan, but when I played Saturday Night, she loved it, so I played Fire and she hated it!)

No studio versions of Trevor or Pete the Chop?

There's a studio version of Trevor, an unreleased demo floating around on bootlegs.

Speaking of bootlegs, from Axtung Beibi:
- Take You Down --> Lady With The Spinning Head, The Fly, Ultra Violet, and technically Wake Up Dead Man
- I Feel Free --> Until The End Of The World
- An early Acrobat

I haven't listened to it in ages so I can't recall what else is there specifically.

And there's the early versions of Out Of Control and Stories For Boys on U2:3, and the dreadful Twilight demo on the Another Day single.

There's a studio version of Trevor, an unreleased demo floating around on bootlegs.

Speaking of bootlegs, from Axtung Beibi:
- Take You Down --> Lady With The Spinning Head, The Fly, Ultra Violet, and technically Wake Up Dead Man
- I Feel Free --> Until The End Of The World
- An early Acrobat

I haven't listened to it in ages so I can't recall what else is there specifically.

And there's the early versions of Out Of Control and Stories For Boys on U2:3, and the dreadful Twilight demo on the Another Day single.

Thanks for the response Axver, I can't find trevor in my early demos, will keep looking.

As for the achtung baby outtakes, while they are technically correct, Im trying to steer clear of demos and if possible live only songs. It's interesting to see what they considered finished product songs, then becoming totally different songs. I consider Native Son and Saturday Night 'finished' songs as they have been produced, mixed and mastered, not just leaked demos

I Feel Free> Until The End Of The World
Take You Down> Lady With The Spinning Head> The Fly> Ultraviolet
Down All The Days> Numb

I Feel Free> Until The End Of The World
Take You Down> Lady With The Spinning Head> The Fly> Ultraviolet
Down All The Days> Numb

Again, thank you. The first two are, however, achtung baby outtakes, and I am not looking for those. I could also include Back mask U2 > So Cruel, but I am more interested in more 'complete' songs.

Where is down all the days from?

when i saw this thread first i thought you were saying the early songs were all better than the finished ones, i mean Saturday Night isn't even officially OUT yet and thought '...and so it begins...' :doh:

As for the achtung baby outtakes, while they are technically correct, Im trying to steer clear of demos and if possible live only songs. It's interesting to see what they considered finished product songs, then becoming totally different songs. I consider Native Son and Saturday Night 'finished' songs as they have been produced, mixed and mastered, not just leaked demos

Ah, right. How about the two versions of Slow Dancing?

when i saw this thread first i thought you were saying the early songs were all better than the finished ones, i mean Saturday Night isn't even officially OUT yet and thought '...and so it begins...' :doh:

well, all three boxes are sitting in my hands, so i think thats as out as they get!!

Good version of Electrical Storm that Bono "leaked" to the radio > over-produced Orbit and band versions.

LOLZ yeah the rest of us have to wait for them to turn up the shops alright? :wink:

Well, here's the story....

I walked into my local record store. I asked for someone from CD's to help me. They came out. I said, "Have you got the U2 remasters in yet?" She said, "I'll check." She came back out with all three standard, and delux editions.

I bought them.
The end.

Well, here's the story....

I walked into my local record store. I asked for someone from CD's to help me. They came out. I said, "Have you got the U2 remasters in yet?" She said, "I'll check." She came back out with all three standard, and delux editions.

I bought them.
The end.

haha wow, nice one! but you seem a bit annoyed at the end of your re-telling i'm just saying some of us aren't as lucky you know? :up: All I was saying originally was that I looked at the way you'd typed the names of the early versions as if they were 'greater than' the finished ones and thought "It's not even been out [OFFICIALLY] and we're already saying Saturday Night's better than fire?!"
yeah? :wink: i realise that's not what you meant a few seconds after...my post was just a quick thought

haha wow, nice one! but you seem a bit annoyed at the end of your re-telling i'm just saying some of us aren't as lucky you know? :up: All I was saying originally was that I looked at the way you'd typed the names of the early versions as if they were 'greater than' the finished ones and thought "It's not even been out [OFFICIALLY] and we're already saying Saturday Night's better than fire?!"
yeah? :wink: i realise that's not what you meant a few seconds after...my post was just a quick thought

haha, no i wasn't offended. I was simply making the point that the song was officially released in Australia, and sometimes we get overlooked by the wider community in terms of release dates.

mm i know i've got some stuff very early from Australia which is great since you use PAL as well which is handy for games/dvd's sometimes with better art so everyone wins! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom