Early U2(1979-1983) Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer Gloria but...

ONE DAY I'LL DIE BUT THE CHOICE WILL NOT BE MINE
WILL IT BE TOO LATE?
YOU CAN'T FIGHT FATE

it's also one of my favourite songs from the early days

My 1979-1983 Appreciation goes to the following songs ::

I WILL FOLLOW
TWILIGHT
OUT OF CONTROL
STORIES FOR BOYS
A DAY WITHOUT ME
ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE

GLORIA
I THREW A BRICK ...
REJOICE
OCTOBER
TOMORROW
SCARLET

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
NEW YEAR'S DAY
LIKE A SONG
DROWNING MAN
SURRENDER

I just loooooooooooooooooooove Out Of Control!! It's got such a feeling for such an early song!!! 1st single, indeed!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :D :D

THE FOOL!

CARTOON WORLD!

LOST ON A SILENT PLANET!

Pre-Boy U2 rocks awesomely. :drool:

Axver said:
THE FOOL!

CARTOON WORLD!

LOST ON A SILENT PLANET!

Pre-Boy U2 rocks awesomely. :drool:

I'm bemused, confused but mostly amused that you so love the music, and an album, that was released BEFORE YOU WERE BORN! Was it played to you in the womb?? :huh:

blueeyedgirl said:

I'm bemused, confused but mostly amused that you so love the music, and an album, that was released BEFORE YOU WERE BORN! Was it played to you in the womb?? :huh:

My favourite U2 era is from the ten years before I was born and the first couple of years of my life.

My favourite TV show was made 8-12 years before I was born.

My favourite movie was made 24 years before I was born.

I shall now go and scowl at my mother and ask why she took so bloody long to have me.

I think I'd rather jump off a cliff.

I pity the people my age who weren't lucky enough to grow up in a household that hadn't succumbed to the horrors of modern music and television!

blueeyedgirl said:
You're 18 years old. Go buy a Destiny's Child album! Sheesh!

:wink:

"All the women who are independent
Throw your hands up at me
All the honeys who makin' money
All the mommas who profit dollas
All the ladies who truly feel me
Throw your hands up at me"

:dance: :dance: :dance:

:wink:

I think 1984 fits with this era also.

My favorite concert at the moment is Melbourne 1984-09-17

1. 4th Of July (PA)
2. Wire
3. Gloria
4. I Threw A Brick
5. A Day Without Me
6. An Cat Dubh
7. Into The Heart
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. Surrender
10. Two Hearts Beat As One
11. Seconds
Disc 2
1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. The Cry/Electric Co.
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. October
5. New Year's Day
6. Pride
7. Out Of Control
8. Party Girl
9. I Will Follow
10. "40"

It lacks 11 O'clock and Bad though
also a note, Pride have the ideal tempo (much faster than other versions I've heard) but that may be just because of the recording

Last edited:
Nisse said:
I think 1984 fits with this era also.

My favorite concert at the moment is Melbourne 1984-09-17

1. 4th Of July (PA)
2. Wire
3. Gloria
4. I Threw A Brick
5. A Day Without Me
6. An Cat Dubh
7. Into The Heart
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. Surrender
10. Two Hearts Beat As One
11. Seconds
Disc 2
1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. The Cry/Electric Co.
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. October
5. New Year's Day
6. Pride
7. Out Of Control
8. Party Girl
9. I Will Follow
10. "40"

It lacks 11 O'clock and Bad though
also a note, Pride have the ideal tempo (much faster than other versions I've heard) but that may be just because of the recording

No, 84 doesn't fit with 'Early U2'. TUF was the very beginning of the 'glory days' of JT and even AB...TUF is MUCH more in the vein of JT than any of the early stuff.

OK, here's my two cents worth on early U2 and album ratings -- lots to chew on here:

I've been a hardcore fan since 1983, so that puts me near the beginning. ( I even have all of the U2 fanzines that the club issued from photocopies including issue 1). Anyway, early U2 is, up to Unforgettable Fire, if considered an intact era, are an exceptional band. Considering the times, the age of the band, the financial capability of the band, they appear to have done their best work with those four albums, though the sum of their work since then probably surpasses those four albums now. They cannot be compared to the Beatles, since U2 was a popular underground band that could not break through for close to eight years. We early fans never really thought they would emerge as a mega-band. The Beatles when released had near instant breakthrough. BUT, but, but... Achtung Baby is an incredible album, and my favorite, and a masterpiece, which about equals those first four years, (and Zooropa if we consider that as extension of AB). Recall that Joshua Tree fans were sorely disappointed with AB. In the early 90’s it looked as though America was turning it’s back on U2. I recall being at a concert for Zooropa, in LA, where the audience was booing because not enough JT songs were being played. Nevertheless AB was such a powerful album that it brought in a slightly different set of fans.

Most of U2's albums are urban and to date even Euro urban. Joshua Tree and Rattle Hum are rural albums. They are wholly American in nature, with a country edge. JT is the album America loves, and in my book it is an over rated album (it is a good Album, yes, but with many of it's best songs being slated to B-sides). I recall that Bono said he would have preferred a two-album set called "the Desert Songs".

But, then again, I'm not American. JT is when U2 got its second wave of U2 fans, the non-punk suburban and rural. Which was great. But U2 is not American and though they reflected a feeling in sound back to America through the JT -- perhaps the outsiders do a better job than the actual insiders? -- JT did strike a cord here in America, and launched them to the status they are now in. JT for that reason may be the most significant, but not necessarily their best. One would need a worldwide poll to get the blips out.

I believe AYCLB, and HTDAAB are now of one style, with Pop being the transition from The Euro-pop Zoo era to the current era. Though America did not like Pop much, and probably misunderstood it, it is an over looked album which may grow in popularity with time. As it goes, RH and JT are the least listened to albums in my U2 play list.

Holy GOD!! Axver's Eighteen?! I assumed he was WAY older than that, just like someone thought I was "40" because I'd just rattled on about a ton of stuff to do with some early U2 stuff...she only found out I was fourteen at the time when she gave me a 'yelling' for sending a couple of emails asking where some bootlegs were in the post after THREE MONTHS!! and I ended up protesting my age and anti-knowledge of the postal system! :) Quite nice of her to forgive me for that...

so, erm...yeah...the moral of this story is, you can be any age to think that pre-boy U2 is some of the best U2 out there :p even if it pre-dates my birth by ten years in some cases! heh

bathiu said:
Count me in... and leave HTDAAB out of "pop resurgance", please...

1. AB
2. Boy/October (because they feel like a double album to me)
3. HTDAAB
4. War
5. Pop
6. UF
7. Zooropa
8. JT
9. R&H
197. ATYCLB

I hope this list is saying anough about my appreciation to that era... :)

:

Good stuff on the ATYCLB ranking...but how do you arrive at such different rankings of AB and JT? Very unique to see JT dissed so much in this very strange world of U2 fanaticism...completely disagree, but interesting.

Back
Top Bottom