Early HTDAAB obituaries premature...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsNation

The Fly
HTDAAB shot up fourteen places from# 34 to # 20 on Billboard this week. It looks like the Grammies may have helped to renew interest in the album. A successful tour won't hurt the album either.

Who thinks HTDAAB will make it back into the Top 10?

I think if they have a great tour (they will) and it gets nominated for album of the year next year (it should) then a return to the top 10 won't be too far fetched. If they sell over 5 million copies in the US that would be amazing.

The only way the album will return to the Top 10 is if it win a major award (like the Grammy for Album of the Year) and/or if a new hot hit single starts to dominate. For example, if "Sometimes..." became a huge hit, HTDAAB would also climb.

Still, I see it having an AYTCLB type of run. It may or may not hit 4.2M sold in the U.S., but I anticipate it lingering in the Top 200 for quite a while before finally disappearing.

I think it's entirely possible for this album to have more longevity. Although Beautiful Day was a bigger hit than Vertigo (and won bigger awards around this time in 2001), Sometimes should make a bigger impact than Walk On or Stuck, which didn't make a lot of noise single wise. Both videos (American versions) sucked donkey unit so it's not surprising. Sometimes has a fantastic video that will be a success if VH-1 gives it a chance.

The tour might not have the 9/11 impact of Elevation, but let's not forget that only was relevant on the second American leg. If the stage show is more ambitious as reported, it could make the tour a bigger news item, which could fuel sales. I'd also argue that people attending the shows who DON'T own The Bomb are more likely to pick it up after the shows, because the songs are going to kill in the live format. I don't know that Elevation was as persuasive w/ the new material.

As for the Grammys next year, it's difficult to say who U2 will be competing against, but I can't think of anyone right now aside from Bruce Springsteen, who admittedly was upset for Album of the Year with The Rising. A possible threat. Certainly they will have a better shot than they did competing against a PHENOMENAL Bob Dylan album last time, and the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, the eventual winner.

laz

All I really watch is the Aussie charts and although HTDAAB has sunk as low as 20 in recent weeks, I can see it spending a while in the middle of the top 50 and once they tour it should shoot back up into the top 20 quite easily.

The 3rd single could also have a dramatic effect on how the album fares on the charts

I think that in Billboard chart, they are 3 times platinum... doesn't that equal 3,000,000 copies?

jendzi said:
I think that in Billboard chart, they are 3 times platinum... doesn't that equal 3,000,000 copies?

The RIAA certification is indeed 3x Platinum or 3M copies sold in the U.S. However, that certification is actually for the amount of copies sold to STORES, not consumers. So stores have bought 3M copies to date.

Actual consumer purchases are just shy of 2.5M copies. Therefore, about 500K copies are in stores throughout the U.S. In other words, the stores are nicely stocked as of this moment. ;)

If HTDAAB behaves somewhat like ATYCLB, it'll slowly keep selling 20-40K a week, chugging along, barring a few spikes do to awards shows, new singles, etc. I don't see it reaching 4M soon, unless one of the songs becomes a monster hit. But that's fine - 3M is a great number! This is no longer 1992 where Billboard was littered with artists who sold 3M or more copies. These days, 3M is a strong feat!

Sleep Over Jack said:
I see The Mullen Apology continues to pump new life into HTDAAB..

The all-star musical tribute to the Mullen Apology at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame will give the album even more life!

Back
Top Bottom