DVD skips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tretarka

Babyface
I got my DVD from Best Buy on 11-21 and found out it skips right after Stay.I returned it and the new one does the same thing.Anyone else have this problem?

Originally posted by tretarka:
I got my DVD from Best Buy on 11-21 and found out it skips right after Stay.I returned it and the new one does the same thing.Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. Mine seems to do the same but I am not sure if it happens at the same place. I'll check again.

alright, now I am worried...
So I bought a DVD player and the DVD, mine skips like crazy, during multiple songs, especcially the 2nd disc, so I thought it was the DVD player, since I have only watched the DVD like 3-4 times so far.
This is my 1st DVD, so should I bring the player back or the DVD?

Mine does that too, but I believe it's just a layer change, not a problem with the disc. You'll notice this on many movies. I'm not sure on all the technical parts of why that happens, but rest assured that it's normal and a minor inconvenience at most.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by U2SJ:
This is my 1st DVD, so should I bring the player back or the DVD?

What kind of DVD player do you have? I ask because certain players are just more prone to skips. Of course check your DVD for scratches, and see if that's a problem as well.

------------------

Its a layer change on the disk. Most DVD players will show a slight skip when this occurs on the discs.

THose with multiple skipping problems, im prone o think its a problem with the player.

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 11-26-2001).]

Fozzern- Ok, well it is a pretty crappy 140.00 Phillips, but I may bring it back and get a Mitsubishi one for the same price-
My DVD freezes during Elevation on 2nd disc, actually it skips or freezes almost during every song. How depressing
Yep, Bullet the Blue Sky, you are right, I'm liking my VHS tapes more and more. DVD blarg

ok here it is if the dvd(elevation) is skiping more than the stay(far away so close)then you got a problem. it does pause at the end of stay as the camera moves upwards but other than this it runs smooth.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Wait, wait, wait U2NYC420. Are you saying that there are Elevation DVD's available somewhere near Manhattan? PLEASE TELL ME!!!

it skips as track 12(stay) clicks over to track 13(bad) at 1:04:18. i figured they were all like that but i wasn't sure. you guys saved me a trip back to bestbuy--and i thank you-- because #1, its a trip outside manhattan, and #2, my expirience with bestbuy last week was so horrible, i swore i'd never go back...

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

It's absolutely normal.

www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.27
Some movies, especially those over two hours long or encoded at a high data rate, are spread across two layers on one side of the disc. When the player changes to the second layer, the video and audio may freeze for a moment. The length of the pause depends on the player and on the layout of the disc. The pause is not a defect in the player or the disc.

More detailed info can be found at: www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.18

[This message has been edited by Boogaloo (edited 11-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Boogaloo (edited 11-26-2001).]

Just got it in the mail last night and watched it. The DVD just has some kind of transition problem moving from Stay to Bad. It does it right on the changing of the track marker.

Originally posted by U2SJ:
Fozzern- Ok, well it is a pretty crappy 140.00 Phillips, but I may bring it back and get a Mitsubishi one for the same price-
My DVD freezes during Elevation on 2nd disc, actually it skips or freezes almost during every song. How depressing
Yep, Bullet the Blue Sky, you are right, I'm liking my VHS tapes more and more. DVD blarg

I say just pay the extra 10 bucks for the Toshiba or Panasonic. And as for liking the VHS more, let's see how much nicer it is after you've watched the concert 50 times and worn through the tape. Besides, you won't get all those cool extras on the VHS either.
cool.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Foxxern (edited 11-27-2001).]

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
This is rubbish! You would never get this happening to VHS tapes!

True, but then you wouldn't be able to go from track 3 to track 14 in a half second with VHS now could you?
wink.gif

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

hey wolfwill23--there are 2 bestbuys in queens. one is in long island city(4 stops out on the R) and the other is in rego park(9 stops out on the R). sorry i didn't respond quicker, i wasn't online for a few days.

------------------
"and though i can't say why, i know i've got to believe"

I too get a quick pause during the transition from 'Stay' to 'Bad'. As a great man (I forget who!) once said, "Apparently that's just the way it is..."

------------------
"Hey, pardon me for askin', but who's that little ol' man?..."

Back
Top Bottom