Drummer Deathmatch: Larry Mullen Jr. vs. Nick Mason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The better drummer?

• Larry Mullen Jr.

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • Nick Mason

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
LemonMelon said:
[BThe reason Pink Floyd was so amazing was Gilmour. End of discussion. [/B]

Gotta Agree , with David is what the band become THE Pink Floyd Most People Know , or at least the one I know and love

Though I don't really know much of them or history , but before the guy .... the band wasn't really somethin

Last edited:
J_NP said:

David is what the band become THE Pink Floyd Most People Know

Not really. Most people, not including major Pink Floyd fans, will know of at least two Pink Floyd songs - Money and Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2. Let's look at Money:

- tape loop at beginning, Roger Waters
- bass line (one of the more famous ones, at that) and main melody, Roger Waters
- lyrics, Roger Waters
- vocals on studio version, David Gilmour

Let's look at Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2:

- lyrics, Roger Waters
- melody, Roger Waters
- vocals, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, and a school choir
- "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding" bit, Roger Waters

I will not deny that David Gilmour is the voice people recognise when they think of Pink Floyd. I will not deny that people don't think of David Gilmour's guitar solos when they think of Pink Floyd. But it is ridiculous to claim that Gilmour is the only reason why Pink Floyd was a good band, just as it's ridiculous to make that claim about any other member of the band.

but before the guy .... the band wasn't really somethin

Er...not quite. David Gilmour joined in 1968. Pink Floyd released their first album in 1967. It was a very successful album. #6 on the UK charts. They were indeed "something" before Gilmour came along. They only became superstars when Dark Side Of The Moon was released and again, not only because of David Gilmour

GibsonGirl said:

No, I just thought it was amusing that you would quote someone else to deliver a shot at me. Typical, typical, typical...

I was quoting vazo2 because I agree with him more, and posted my opinion on the "Larry is not a nice person even though this is only based on that he doesn't sign each and every autograph" argument which seems to be your opinion. I wasn't delivering anything.

Just seems odd what with your well known disdain for the worship/adulation part of the band member/fan relationship that you would even care whether or not Larry signs autographs.
Or whether or not he is the "first one" to dash out the arena after a a show. I would guess they leave at the same time, since they travel from show to show by plane but anyway.

Well... speaking of Pink Floyd, as much as I appreciate Waters for the interesting lyrics and the biting sarcasm, I think Gilmour complemented him very well with his dreamy melodies and airy soundscapes. But that said, I'd rather have a Waters-less Floyd than a Gilmour-less Floyd. I'd rather have too much of beautiful guitar solos and soundscapes than too much sarcasm and depressing lyrics. I like Momentary Lapse, Division Bell and On An Island more than what I've heard on Amused To Death. It came off incredibly self indulgent and boring but maybe I should give it another chance. After all, I love Final Cut. :shrug:

U2girl said:

I was quoting vazo2 because I agree with him more, and posted my opinion on the "Larry is not a nice person even though this is only based on that he doesn't sign each and every autograph" argument which seems to be your opinion. I wasn't delivering anything.

Originally, you'll note that I merely implied Larry wasn't much of a people-person. I never said I didn't think he wasn't a nice guy in general, just when it comes to the fans. I mean, come now, this is well-known within the U2 community. Getting a signature from Larry is about as easy as getting the Pope to pop around for tea. Not just at concerts either. The other guys in the band often used to sign things for fans outside the old studio, and Larry often sped away from them in his car. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, I'm just saying he seems to go out of his way to ignore fans.

Just seems odd what with your well known disdain for the worship/adulation part of the band member/fan relationship that you would even care whether or not Larry signs autographs.

Huh? I have no disdain for people wanting autographs. I'd be a hypocrite if I did. Hell, I waited two hours outside the Air Canada Centre so that I could say hello to The Edge and get a glimpse of Bono before the mob closed in. There's a huge difference between wanting The Edge in your pants and wanting The Edge to sign an album cover for you.

GibsonGirl said:

Originally, you'll note that I merely implied Larry wasn't much of a people-person. I never said I didn't think he wasn't a nice guy in general, just when it comes to the fans. I mean, come now, this is well-known within the U2 community. Getting a signature from Larry is about as easy as getting the Pope to pop around for tea. Not just at concerts either. The other guys in the band often used to sign things for fans outside the old studio, and Larry often sped away from them in his car. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, I'm just saying he seems to go out of his way to ignore fans.

Huh? I have no disdain for people wanting autographs. I'd be a hypocrite if I did. Hell, I waited two hours outside the Air Canada Centre so that I could say hello to The Edge and get a glimpse of Bono before the mob closed in. There's a huge difference between wanting The Edge in your pants and wanting The Edge to sign an album cover for you.

"He could have fooled me". This was you replying directly to vazo2 saying Larry's a nice guy. I realise it started with him not being a people person, but I think there's a big stretch between that and not being nice at all that's all. :shrug:

I know it's hard (not that it doesn't happen at all though) to get Larry (and yes, he has said he isn't fond of stalking - I'm guessing "stalking" is the key word - type of fans hanging around at their homes and in front of the studio for hours and hours) to meet fans or get something signed. So the guy likes his privacy, Bono's outgoing ways make up for 10 Larrys IMO.

OK, my mistake. I thought you were having a disdain for those wanting autographs.

Zootlesque said:
Well... speaking of Pink Floyd, as much as I appreciate Waters for the interesting lyrics and the biting sarcasm, I think Gilmour complemented him very well with his dreamy melodies and airy soundscapes. But that said, I'd rather have a Waters-less Floyd than a Gilmour-less Floyd. I'd rather have too much of beautiful guitar solos and soundscapes than too much sarcasm and depressing lyrics. I like Momentary Lapse, Division Bell and On An Island more than what I've heard on Amused To Death. It came off incredibly self indulgent and boring but maybe I should give it another chance. After all, I love Final Cut. :shrug:

That complementing bit is key. They might have been real bitches to one another in the studio, but the arguing over the little details produced some great results. And to be quite honest, I'd rather not have a Waters-less Floyd OR a Gilmour-less Floyd. Gilmour without Waters is like...I dunno, Lennon without McCartney. I guess that's why I care so little for the post-Waters stuff. And if the world went even crazier and saw a Waters-Mason-Wright partnership in the next few years, I think I'd cry. They wouldn't be tears of joy either.

Waters solo is a little different, because you shouldn't compare his work to the stuff he did with Pink Floyd. Two separate things. It took Amused To Death a while to grow on me, but when it did, oh boy. :drool: That "And when they found our shadows grouped 'round the TV set" part in the title song is brilliant.

Have you heard the song Each Small Candle? It's a newer one, so maybe you haven't...but it's very good.

U2girl said:

"He could have fooled me". This was you replying directly to vazo2 saying Larry's a nice guy.

I thought he was talking along the same lines as I was - nice to the fans, not in general. :shrug:

GibsonGirl said:
Have you heard the song Each Small Candle? It's a newer one, so maybe you haven't...but it's very good.

I haven't. But I am going to listen to Amused again. :yes:

GibsonGirl said:

That complementing bit is key. They might have been real bitches to one another in the studio, but the arguing over the little details produced some great results. And to be quite honest, I'd rather not have a Waters-less Floyd OR a Gilmour-less Floyd. Gilmour without Waters is like...I dunno, Lennon without McCartney. I guess that's why I care so little for the post-Waters stuff. And if the world went even crazier and saw a Waters-Mason-Wright partnership in the next few years, I think I'd cry. They wouldn't be tears of joy either.

Waters solo is a little different, because you shouldn't compare his work to the stuff he did with Pink Floyd. Two separate things. It took Amused To Death a while to grow on me, but when it did, oh boy. :drool: That "And when they found our shadows grouped 'round the TV set" part in the title song is brilliant.

How's his opera, Chinese Democ...I mean Ça Ira?

I agree with you about the interplay between Waters and Gilmour completely btw. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

I disagree completely. "End of discussion," don't make me laugh... Pink Floyd were amazing because they had fantastic musicians - like David Gilmour and Richard Wright - and a brilliant lyricist between 1968 and 1983. How on earth can you say Roger Waters lost the plot, post-Animals? Have you even listened to The Final Cut? Read the lyrics at all? They're beautiful, harsh, touching and incredibly emotional. Bono could never write The Gunners Dream. And I wouldn't call all of those songs self-indulgent because a lot of them weren't even about Waters. Even The Wall, quite a bit of that was about Syd Barrett's experiences. If David Gilmour was the reason why Pink Floyd was so amazing, why would he release twaddle like A Momentary Lapse Of Reason? The only good thing about that album is the intro to Sorrow. The Division Bell? Incredibly good music, below-average lyrics.

After Syd Barrett left the band, Pink Floyd was always about the interplay between Gilmour's instrumentation and Waters' lyrics. Hell, they all played an important role. Take one out of the equation and it all falls apart. "Together we stand, divided we fall." Despite it being the height of Waters' lyrical ability, The Final Cut feels incredibly empty without Wright there on the keyboards. A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell feel incredibly empty without Waters' lyrical input.

End of story.

Fair enough. :up: I also appreciate the Lennon/McCartney comparison you made later on in the thread as well, particularly because it's generally accurate. Waters is the sarcastic Lennon, and Gilmour is the melodic McCartney (and, much like with Floyd, I'd take McCartney solo over Lennon, if only because I find McCartney and Ram to be small masterpieces, and I've never been able to get into solo Lennon :shrug: ) and, like Zoots, I would take a no-Waters Floyd over a no-Gilmour Floyd, though neither are really worth mentioning.

GibsonGirl said:

I will not deny that David Gilmour is the voice people recognise when they think of Pink Floyd. I will not deny that people don't think of David Gilmour's guitar solos when they think of Pink Floyd. But it is ridiculous to claim that Gilmour is the only reason why Pink Floyd was a good band, just as it's ridiculous to make that claim about any other member of the band.

But that's what I said , Pink Floyd was always a good band , and I don't need to say this , coz it's pretty obvious but seeing them , all members in Live 8 , Roger was like in my view that crazy genius guys that should always be in ...... Damn Why so many great bands , The EGO must be so bloody important ......

But what I said and keep saying is , Pink Floyd got gigantic with Gilmour

And about this discussion of No Gilmour or No Waters , I think it's much around live what I'm saying , most studio songs I love to be honest are with both , but like I said one :

Pulse is A Fantastic DVD , And I've watched what I think to be that show In The Flesh of Waters , Which was good but that only ....

Of course u already mentioned , Gilmour is the most known voice and guitar of Floyd , but it's just like ....Or Maybe Coz I'm naturally much more into guitar than bass , But I almost don't miss Waters in Pulse ...

While When I see in Roger's DVD , that guy with a left handed red Strat singing and playing Time , I just get over and over :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

I do think the thing that makes this band great is the suppression of ego: no one person really shines more than another (Bono is "famous" more for his humanitarian endeavours). Rock Steady is a good description for our boy--he knows how to play emotion as well--I've felt it more than once.
It's weird; I get the sense Larry is fighting his ego--anyone else get this?

Back
Top Bottom