Drowning Man Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

Well, I said "much " of the song, but now that I re-look at the lyrics, it's only

"Rise up, rise up
With wings like eagles
You'll run and not grow weary"

from Isaiah.

One thing I like aout this song is that it is the ultimate love song. Love song from God to Man. And when God says he gives us what he holds dear, he means it. What could be more dear to him than his only son? What love!

That's why I love that song; it it so powerful.

Really, huh? That's what you get for being an atheist. I read every love song as being from Bono to Ali, NEVER to God. I had to be told Gloria was about God and I still didn't get it. 24 years later, I still have to be told. :wink:

To me, it was the first overtly "love song" Bono wrote. And I had just read in one of the music papers of the time that Bono had got married the previous year. So to me it's Bono's first love (on a record) song to his wife.

And then, the following year, when I heard "Promenade" :combust:

JOFO said:
the only thing that sucks about this song is that "the refugee" follows it and I have to get up to change the stereo.

If you have the vinyl, just turn it over and "drop the needle and pray" :wink: on the second song. :rockon:

This is a very beautiful song.

But hence it being Drowning *Man*, Bono said it was addressed to Adam :D

Well, perhaps this song was dedicated to Adam, although I'm not really sure where that idea came from.
I have certainly read a number of times that this song was written by Bono on his wedding night, which would easily explain the lyrics, particularly these lines:

For I have promised, oh
To be with you tonight
And for the time that will come

There are many lines which are Biblically inspired, but I do feel without doubt this is fundamentally a love song.

It was about how all the rough times, they'd always be there for him, even with the differences of beliefs

Great, powerful song, love that style of guitar sound.. and it's very melodic and mysterious somehow, as someone else has already mentioned.. Darkly beautiful? Both music and lyrics really suit the feeling of the song, of being caught in a raging tempest or something..

Back
Top Bottom