"Drowning Man" -A beauty!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogi

The Fly
I´ve had War, oh god, for it seems like 70 years.
I had always liked "Drowning Man", but not until the level I do now.
My god, what a song and one of the most beautiful things U2 or any band has ever done. I think it´s quite sophisticated of a song that could have been an absolute bore if done wrong.

What are some more thoughts on this song?

I loooooooooooooove this song. It's so passionate, especially at the end..."the storm will pass, it won't be long now, this love will last...forever..." etc. etc. It's a great song :up:

U2democrat said:
I loooooooooooooove this song. It's so passionate, especially at the end..."the storm will pass, it won't be long now, this love will last...forever..." etc. etc. It's a great song :up:
Exactly what I was thinking! Love the song! :up:

I thought i was one of the only people who liked this song!
I'm having it at my funeral, its just beautiful!

Yeah definitely.

One member of the band once named it his favourite, circa 1984.

Do you actually have a favourite U2 song?

I think "Drowning Man" is my favourite. It's got so much emotion and poise in it. And I think it's quite odd sounding as well. I mean, the vocals are terrific and I think the backing track is just a lovely swell, and feel of water almost, to it. It's like a waterfall.

Just a great, great song...pity they've never done it live.

Ah, so happy Drowning Man has been posted on. Just a gorgeous song. Bono's vocals are just sublime.

It's in my top five :)

It is a fantastic song, and really is signature of what U2 means and stands for, in my world, and i think it's pretty universal as well....

I agree. Fantastic, beautiful song. As someone said, the first time Bono's vocals really stood out and grabbed you I think.

It is such a profound song. Very mature. Jeez, what were they about 22 and 23 when this was written, maybe even younger?
I think the only thing going through my mind at that age was "Should I really splurge for some Guinness tonight or stick with the Bud?"

"Drowning Man" has to be one of my all-time favorite U2 songs. It is probably one of the most classicly beautiful songs in their catalogue as well, and has a timeless quality about it. It is really cinematic in scope, which I love about a lot of U2 songs. Thanks for posting on this song, as it deserves to be given its' proper due!

it reminds of of "all i want is you" in a way because it is tender but powerful.

Edge once said they never played it live because he felt that it was one of those songs that would be good one night and shite the next. He also commented that they did rehearse this song a few times.

Back
Top Bottom