DOWNLOAD U2's New Single "ELECTRICAL STORM" - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2002, 10:28 PM   #141
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:41 AM

What drugs are you people smoking?

This is a great f'n U2 song. What the hell are you expecting? Achtung Baby II? The Joshua Tree revisited?

Let me tell you all something. This song sounds no more commercial than any song off of ATYCLB. Guess what - this is how the Edge plays guitar these days. This is how Bono sings now. This is how tight the band sounds in this era.

MichaelGriffiths - so sorry to disagree with your post, but a comparison of this to Nickelback is a joke. Are you trying to be funny? A Nickelback song is just a hard rocking tune that has a very finite life cycle. It is tailor made for K-ROCK radio. A song like E-Storm has an emotional power and poetic beauty to it that is distinctly U2.

I cannot believe how much disrespect I have seen on this forum for Electrical Storm. I have lost respect for a lot of you. It is not like U2 is coming out with some sh*t like the Rolling Stones after 20 years. They are still writing meaningful songs that only they can create. The people that I respect on this forum - SpanishEyes, NicaMom, & melon, are the ones who like the song (what a coincidence).

All you others need to stop thinking about U2 selling out and writing songs to be played on the radio. Time to get off of your high horses. Guess what - some songs are on the radio because they just plain f'n rock.

AJ

Old 08-25-2002, 11:00 PM   #142
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:41 AM
I've listened to it about a dozen times throught the day now. It reminds me of several different U2 songs/eras in places but I'm not sure which album I'd place it on if I had to...maybe POP or Zooropa. It has kind of a Starting At The Sun sound to it. Definitely hear references to that tune, Summer Rain, TGBHF, and Hold Me Thrill Me in the E-lec-tric-al Storm part. Perhaps a Babyface guitar sound in places as well. Also, the lyrical intro reminds me a bit of Beautiful Day the way it sets up the song & the phrasing...kind of.

I don't think it an overtly commercial song. It takes a while for the chorus kick in which is kind of odd, but it is a great chrous, and it definitely grows on you. I think it will sound nice next to the other 90's tunes on the Best Of. SATS would sound nice following it IMO.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned earlier it kind of ends like the Fly with Adam's bass swoop and Larry's drums. Cool.

Now where are the Hands That Built America MP3's?

Old 08-25-2002, 11:04 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:41 AM
Hawk--Cool it, I love this song. Bono's vocal is spectacular, I love Edge's guitar work and the band sounds tight. It's as atmospheric and evocative as any U2 song. I only think they might not be shooting as high on this release as they might if this were the leadoff single release of an album of original songs. Since it's from a compilation it might not be as important, time-wise. But this has no bearing on the merit of the song itself. It's a very strong song for a compilation single, much more so than "Sweetest Thing" ever was. "Sweetest Thing" was in a similar situation.
*I don't smoke drugs*
Old 08-25-2002, 11:18 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021
I've listened to it about a dozen times throught the day now. It reminds me of several different U2 songs/eras in places but I'm not sure which album I'd place it on if I had to...maybe POP or Zooropa. It has kind of a Starting At The Sun sound to it. Definitely hear references to that tune, Summer Rain, TGBHF, and Hold Me Thrill Me in the E-lec-tric-al Storm part. Perhaps a Babyface guitar sound in places as well. Also, the lyrical intro reminds me a bit of Beautiful Day the way it sets up the song & the phrasing...kind of.

I don't think it an overtly commercial song. It takes a while for the chorus kick in which is kind of odd, but it is a great chrous, and it definitely grows on you. I think it will sound nice next to the other 90's tunes on the Best Of. SATS would sound nice following it IMO.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned earlier it kind of ends like the Fly with Adam's bass swoop and Larry's drums. Cool.

Now where are the Hands That Built America MP3's?

I'd put it on Zooropa. It's atmospheric, with a very strong melody. Bono's vocal is nice and passionate, and it sounds like one from Zooropa rather than Pop. Personally, I like his vocals on Zooroa better than I do those of Pop even though those are quite nice. It's never easy to say where you'd put a U2 song but I think I'd pick Zooropa if someone made me pick right now.
And then knowing me I'd change my mind in a month.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:45 AM   #145
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:41 AM

Wanderer why is your copy shitty quality? Where'd you get it?

Mine is perfect.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:53 AM   #146
ONE
love, blood, life

i got mine from u2guatamala or whatever.

its quite poor quality, id like to know where you could get a good clean version, WITHOUT downloading new media.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:54 AM   #147
the invisible woman

Local Time: 02:41 AM
I've been listening to it over and over again! But I'm not sure what to make of it just yet.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:38 AM   #148
War Child

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Zoomerang - what do you have against New Media?

Anyway, I love the song. I really think it is about the passing of Bono's father. The "heyyyyyyyyyyy" wails in the middle of the song are so powerful. My one criticism is the title and the use of the title in the song. I am not sure why it bothers me, I think it may be that the words "Electrical Storm do not "flow" very well in the song. Having said that, I really, really like the song. One other point--I do not see Orbits influence at all. It is almost as if this song had been around for a few years, and they finally put a polish on it; in fact I would bet that is the case.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:08 AM   #149
War Child

Fucking love it.

Think it will also sound a million times better when a 'proper' version surfaces, this radio one is pretty shite quality.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:18 AM   #150
The Fly

Local Time: 07:41 PM
I love it

It's a great song.

It reminds me why I like U2 as well.

Bono's voice is just so cool.

And as a guitarist, I have always loved Edge, but this song reminds me why I love his style so much.

I love that string bend riff at the end.

Oh and Bono's voice sounds so much clearer and less croaky as it does on ATYCLB.

Great stuff.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:14 AM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Mine is perfect. It's straight from the BBC. The one from U2 Guatemala isn't as good.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:03 AM   #152
War Child

Ok, I love everything about this song! It is a great U2 song, with great hooks and a lot of emotion, which gets better every time I listen to it. It's extremely addicting. I think some people just over analyze everything to pieces. Just listen and enjoy!

Everyone sounds great, and if this is indicative of what's in store for future stuff from U2, we have NOTHING to worry about!
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 08-26-2002, 06:54 AM   #153
The Fly

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Big Grin i think i got the lyrics

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Well, here's my shot at the lyrics. The car alarm line is still up in the air though...

http://lyrics.interference.com/u2/

First of all I'd like to say that whoever came up with the "car alarm" must have really wished this wasn't the right thing!

To me that line sounded clear from the first time:

"Come along, we'll wrench him back to sleep"

I might be wrong, but it's a big improvement over the "car alarm" thing. And if you really listen to it, it is a "come along" but it's kind of shouted out so it sounds a bit different, but's a sure "come along" to my ears.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:25 AM   #154
War Child

Local Time: 05:41 AM
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that it puts them in mind of Walk On.

After the 20th+ listen, I love it more and more and more and more.

Once again, (a-la WILATW), Edge teases me with about 3 seconds of guitar, that I wish lasted about 4 hours. (the little bit just before the slidey solo part).

Yum yum!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:02 AM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Lovely song

has a great voice

is very cool
Old 08-26-2002, 09:38 AM   #156
War Child

Local Time: 07:41 PM
E Storm...hehehe heaven for clubbers?
Old 08-26-2002, 10:03 AM   #157
Acrobat

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Mmmmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmm....

At the moment, to liddle old me it sounds like cross between an All That You Can't Leave Behind song and a PoP song.

Like Walk On combined with Gone.

But its late at night now, so it might sound like something different tomorrow.

And when is it gonna grow on me? Huh? When?

Hmmmm.....

My mouse has 5 buttons and a scroll wheel. Gawsh that makes Internet Browsing and Navigating through the operating system a zillion times faster.

Now where, were we, are yes, listening to songs.

Dum de dum dum dum...
Old 08-26-2002, 10:07 AM   #158
The Fly

I love it except for the last minute.

It seems like such a lazy ending - just two chords, and one of the Edge's weaker riffs repeated ad nauseum, with the lack-lustre lyrics "Baby don't cry." I love the first few seconds of the modulation, until the Edge starts playing that riff, and ruins it.

I absolutely adore the first 3.5 minutes of it - can't get enough, some of their best stuff since Please.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:51 AM   #159
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:41 AM
as much as i like this song, i hope its not the final version. the edge hasnt had a great guitar solo since the fly imo and i hope they build on the little solo or at least have something to show non-u2 fans why the edge is the best guitar player on the planet.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #160
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by NShaik
I love the first few seconds of the modulation, until the Edge starts playing that riff, and ruins it.
definately