Download the new version of Stay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lise

Acrobat
In the stillness of the evening, when the sun has
At U2guatemala.com in the download section they have available the new version of Stay by Craig Armstrong, Bono and Edge. I'm in the process of downloading it right now so I haven't listened to it yet. I thought everyone would like to know.

I'm off to check it out right now.

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

Oh WOW. I was really looking forward to this. And wow. I think it's much more in the spirit of the song than maybe even the album version.. the slow, dramatic heartbreaking pangs of the string arrangement works really well. A much better reinterpretation than, say, the underdog remix (which i happen to really dislike).

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 02-09-2002).]

amazing.

------------------
N A T E

Does love light up your Christmas tree?
The next minute you're blowing a fuse
and the cartoon network turns into the news...

!!

That is BEAUTIFUL. That's like the other day I was listening to WGRYWH on headphones -- and I had never heard the violins till then! BEAUTIFUL.

And this version of "Stay" (and the orginal, too!!!) = BEAUTIFUL.

*speechless*
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ LOVE me, give me SOUL
"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"This DEFINATELY needs a disclaimer before the post! Women, small children, & Mona may die!" ~Fishy~

"I still believe that you're the Smut Messiah"

The Man Corral

Hrmm.. I hate to be Negative Nelly here,
but I didn't like it - I thought Bono's voice sounded so rough and so needing for rest. I realize this might add "soul" to the new version, and as a tremendous fan of the song - it was just painful to hear. The instrumentation was very serene, however.

------------------
I'm only asking, but I think you know.

"This is so bad it's gone way past good and back to bad again." - Enid, Ghost World.

Coming from the other side of the coin - I'm not much a fan of the album version of "Stay". But this new version, with a full string section, faint piano, and fresh vocals from Bono, has made me a fan of this underated gem. It reminds me some what of both "two shots of happy, one shot of sad" and "one" from The War Child concert. Bono sounds somewhat like a broadway performer in this, but I still like it.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but I don't really like this version. Maybe it just has to grow on me, but it seems a little too elevator music-esque. I miss the guitar part!

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
it seems a little too elevator music-esque. I miss the guitar part!

I completely agree with you. Too bad too, cause I was really looking forward to this new version. Didn't Bono or someone say it was supposed to be a Guitar/Acoustic version of the song.

Damn! I want my Acoustic studio version of Stay!

The arrangement is beautiful, but it's just a little too intentionally dramatic for me - melodramatic even. I much prefer the simplicity of the live acoustic version.

Also, I did notice that Bono's voice sounded pretty rough in a lot of spots. Kinda odd juxtaposition against the lushness of the strings.

I love it!! It's f***ing amazing IMO.
I love his voice, the strings, the sweeping background. I mean it's not something to play at the dancefloor but it explains somehow a feeling I have inside me and can't get out.... oki, before I get to deep, I simply love this new version of an, already before, amazing song!

Okay, so I kinda like the scratchy voice, but the rest is horrible.

I've always found that the beauty of U2's music is that you can create your own meaning for each song. For example, who REALLY knows what "one" is about? Nobody. we each have our own answer.

The rendition destroys that. It just forces the sicky sweet, sappy emotion right at you. It takes the heart of the song, THE MUSIC, and throws it away. I can't explain how dissapointed I was with this.

Just my $.02

-mike

It's alright. Though, not better than the original. Sounds like it should be played during the end credits of a movie.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by Mike P:

For example, who REALLY knows what "one" is about? Nobody. we each have our own answer.

Well, U2 has always come out and said "One" was from the perspective
of a son telling his father he has AIDS.
I never think of that perspective when listening to it, twas just an FYI.
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for the download site!

I kinda like the original Stay better. For some reason the original feels like a call for change from oblivion. The new version sounds like an absolute end, but that could be because of the string/piano arrangement.

The original version makes me feel that life will never get tiring (perhaps biased by a difference in Bono's voice among the two versions). The new version seems so distant and final. I like both versions, however.

I've driven many-a-mile at night while playing Stay. It's so timeless. I'll definitely have to drive with the new version the next time I get a chance.

I just love it how each U2 song.. taken in a single/album/remix format.. each time they become a different song with a different meaning almost.

And Instead of posting a new thread about this.. I asked it a while back, and I was directed to Mike's FTP site.. but I can't get into it now.. so Does anyone know where I can download the new Walk On Version?.. With the Hallelujiah's.

THanks soo much,
L.U.

Freaking amazing. I'm always a big fan of strings, love the piano too...and the choir right at the end is just incredible.

I enjoy the album version, and the soundtrack version, and the live Zoo tv and Elevation versions - they all have something special (can you tell it's one of my fave U2 songs?), but it doesn't get any better than this IMO.

I keep playing it on the computer, can't get enough of it!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-09-2002).]

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
Well, U2 has always come out and said "One" was from the perspective
of a son telling his father he has AIDS.
I never think of that perspective when listening to it, twas just an FYI.
biggrin.gif

Actually that song is "about" many things...that is just ONE of the interpretations.

i think that it is really a beautiful piece. contrary to most opinions i would even prefer the vocals even a little less raspy in some parts. craig armstrong has worked with a scottish group off and on called the 'blue nile' and their musical style is definitely evident on this version.

[This message has been edited by sphere (edited 02-11-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Actually that song is "about" many things...that is just ONE of the interpretations.

Yep, and so hence I was just offering something U2 said about it. I certainly wasn't implying that that was the only perspective.

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
K, let's all agree on one thing. Bono needs to take a break. His voice is really starting to sound like shit.

sorry. That is something I can't agree with.

I'm not a fan of Zooropa (at least last time I listened to it), partly because I always found it kind of dry and flat and emotionless--but I do like Stay. I find the dry simplicity of the guitar and drums quite touching. This strings version is a bit boring, and like someone said the emotion is a bit too much in your face. Definitely prefer the original.

I also really like the acoustic version that was done on this tour--not at my concert but I have a couple of recordings of it. Definitely sounds like a child of Satellite of Love in that incarnation.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Back
Top Bottom