Download the new version of Stay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
sorry. That is something I can't agree with.

Sorry. His voice is just really starting to sound flat and strained. And it cracks all the time. Is this a result of too much smoking and drinking or what exactly?

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
Sorry. His voice is just really starting to sound flat and strained. And it cracks all the time. Is this a result of too much smoking and drinking or what exactly?

yawn. here we go again. "the sky is falling!" "Bono is losing his voice!" oh the horror...oh the shock...oh the hype.
rolleyes.gif

You should have been here before ATYCLB was released.

yawn. here we go again. "the sky is falling!" "Bono is losing his voice!" oh the horror...oh the shock...oh the hype.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your explanation. I'm sure I'm a lesser fan and hence, a complete fool because I wasn't registered on this forum before. I see how you welcome new members with open arms.

[This message has been edited by Mulholland Drive (edited 02-11-2002).]

Thanks for your explanation. I'm sure I'm a lesser fan and hence, a complete fool because I wasn't registered on this forum before. I see how you welcome new members with open arms.

lmao. Ok, take it however you want. When you come out attempting to pick a fight you shouldn't act surprised when you find one.
rolleyes.gif

lmao. Ok, take it however you want. When you come out attempting to pick a fight you shouldn't act surprised when you find one.
rolleyes.gif

I wasn't attempting to pick a fight. I stated my opinion about the current condition of Bono's voice as I see it. His voice on ATYCLB sounded good to me. I was referring to the way it sounded on this new song and also at the Halftime Show. You interpreted it as me welcoming a fight simply because you disagree.

I wasn't attempting to pick a fight. I stated my opinion about the current condition of Bono's voice as I see it. His voice on ATYCLB sounded good to me. I was referring to the way it sounded on this new song and also at the Halftime Show. You interpreted it as me welcoming a fight simply because you disagree.

No actually, the wording of your post was what set me on the path to misconception, not the fact that I disagree with you. "K, let's all agree on one thing. Bono needs to take a break. His voice is really starting to sound like shit." Perhaps it was unintentional, but telling us that we have to agree on the same thing and then labelling his voice as "shit" is perhaps not the most tactful way to begin a discussion if you're actually desiring dialogue.

In any case, if it relieves your worries at all, I'm sure a bit of R&R will rejuvanate the B-man's vocals. Before ATYCLB came out there was no end to the rumour, speculation, conjecture and hand-wringing about the state of his vocal chords and as it turned out...all for naught. Perhaps that is why the subject seems very re-treaded and worn.

No actually, the wording of your post was what set me on the path to misconception, not the fact that I disagree with you. "K, let's all agree on one thing. Bono needs to take a break. His voice is really starting to sound like shit." Perhaps it was unintentional, but telling us that we have to agree on the same thing and then labelling his voice as "shit" is perhaps not the most tactful way to begin a discussion if you're actually desiring dialogue.

In any case, if it relieves your worries at all, I'm sure a bit of R&R will rejuvanate the B-man's vocals. Before ATYCLB came out there was no end to the rumour, speculation, conjecture and hand-wringing about the state of his vocal chords and as it turned out...all for naught. Perhaps that is why the subject seems very re-treaded and worn.

Perhaps I was too casual in my original post. Sorry if you took offense. I actually PREFER the way Bono's voice sounded on ATYCLB and the tour to years past. It seems that on some earlier records (or, moreso during live performaces), he was trying to be too soulful, and it sounded forced. Now he can do it and it sounds entirely authentic. I just wish he'd rest for a while, because his voice as of recently has sounded very weak, IMO.

rolleyes.gif

Just a quickee post (from my new job - gasp!)...

I haven't heard this new version of "Stay" yet (no home computer and can't listen to it at work). However, based on the Super Bowl performance, even I - one of Bono's bigger "his voice is fine" supporters - am starting to wonder.

I listened to the DVD of the Boston show. His vocals were great. I have a boot of the Buffalo show. His vocals were outstanding that night - hitting notes that I haven't heard him hit in ages.

Yet now, it seems like every time I hear him speak or sing, it's in this hoarse, scratchy voice. Could it just be a straining of his voice that rest would help recover? Could it just be the dry winter air? Or is it something more serious?

Bono's vocals have always been scratchy - even "way back when." Eno's and Lanois' mix of the vocals may have hidden it a bit on the album, but if you listen closely, you can hear the scratchiness even on UF and JT. On ATYCLB, I thought Bono's vocals were amongst the best I've heard them in ages! But right now, I must say, even I am wondering...

Originally posted by doctorwho:

Just a quickee post (from my new job - gasp!)...

I haven't heard this new version of "Stay" yet (no home computer and can't listen to it at work). However, based on the Super Bowl performance, even I - one of Bono's bigger "his voice is fine" supporters - am starting to wonder.

I listened to the DVD of the Boston show. His vocals were great. I have a boot of the Buffalo show. His vocals were outstanding that night - hitting notes that I haven't heard him hit in ages.

Yet now, it seems like every time I hear him speak or sing, it's in this hoarse, scratchy voice. Could it just be a straining of his voice that rest would help recover? Could it just be the dry winter air? Or is it something more serious?

Bono's vocals have always been scratchy - even "way back when." Eno's and Lanois' mix of the vocals may have hidden it a bit on the album, but if you listen closely, you can hear the scratchiness even on UF and JT. On ATYCLB, I thought Bono's vocals were amongst the best I've heard them in ages! But right now, I must say, even I am wondering...

Too much touring, I think. They played 93 dates on the PopMart Tour 4 years ago. They played 100 shows plus the promo tour this time around. He's tired. I saw them in Detroit in May and he sounded phenomenal.

Regarding the voice issue:

Since around Popmart, Bono's voice has generally been more inconsistent/fragile than previously. Over the recent tour, he has had very good days and some pretty bad ones. During most of the first leg he sounded quite good, although he was not in very good form around the end of the first leg - particularly at MSG his soaring high notes sounded forced, flat and raspy like in the new Stay recording. I thought this was evident during the few European leg performances I heard - Barcelona, Italy, etc. During the third leg, I would say that Bono sounded quite good, maybe even better than during the first leg. At the two 3rd leg MSG shows I attended he sounded terrific and really soared at moments, where he before had more limited range. He was also really on at a few other shows, too.

I don't know when the new version of Stay was recorded, but I would venture to stay it was either at the end of the first leg / during the second leg or around the Superbowl. I don't think Bono's voice is suffering from recent cumulative over use, it's other factors - talking too much, diet, weather, temporary respiratory problems - which he can suffer from at any given time (granted this is coming from someone inexpert in these areas).

His Superbowl performance, was, in my opinion, poor because of his unusual amount of talking at the World Economic Forum and the sound system/mix was quite unforgiving. I don't think this performance in any way portends that his voice will sound like this going forward.

Generally, I do believe that even on Bono's best nights his voice is not quite as strong as it was on average nights during previous tours. Even Bono himself readily has admitted to this, and in fact, his own personal assessment was maybe even less forgiving in which, to paraphrase a recent quote in Hot Press magazine, he really regrets smoking and drinking so much, as that it really has changed his voice and that he can't soar like he used to.

Still, I believe Bono's voice is quite impressive and a lot of the change in Bono's voice is the result of maturation and intended changes, not necessarily
degradation. His voice has a certain soul that it never did before and more character. His voice, as it has been since the recording of ATYCLB, has, on balance, received much more praise than criticism and in several places I have his voice described as one of the best in R&R history and admired by numerous artists.

While this issue is quite contentious for many, I think that most will agree that Bono?s voice is ever changing.

karl

i hope it grows on me, unlike others i would never throw a u2 dl away. but i really dont like this at first listen. hmm stay is such a beautiful song. one of my faves.

------------------
~stadtmueller

Back
Top Bottom