Double Standards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by Gina Marie:
I think there is a slight double standard as far as guys are 'permitted' to use their 'sex-appeal', whereas if a woman does that, it is not as accepted.
mmm, I don't think guys have any problem with female singers showing sex-appeal

Ah yes, but what about female singers who show the sex, but not necessarily the appeal? I think the likes of Tori Amos and PJ Harvey make a lot of people quite uncomfortable in that vein. Which is not the same thing at all as a singer just getting up and singing a song and looking drop-dead gorgeous in the process.

Double standards, though? I'm not sure. It's an interesting question. Seems the same question arises with movie stars or newsreaders. I mean, why else is it that someone like Mick Jagger can still get away with a career, whereas Marianne Faithful (his one-time lover) is virtually invisible - this being no comment on the musical substance of either.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by Gina Marie:
I think there is a slight double standard as far as guys are 'permitted' to use their 'sex-appeal', whereas if a woman does that, it is not as accepted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not the case, if it was so, than women wouldn't act that way. It's wanted, they are wanted to ace that way so they could bring more money... it's the same with boy bynds and those singers who have mostly female audience (Enrique Iglesias...)

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Originally posted by martha:
Her complete lack of talent has caught up with her.

martha, I love you. lmao!

biggrin.gif

-sula

sarah mclachlan. she's incredible, one of my favorite artists.

would it sound better if i were a man? and i'm THAT sorry... you're the one with the problem. -Madonna "Human Nature"

...sorry, i'll refrain.

------------------
Does love light up your Christmas tree?

Happy Holidays!

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

...if God will send his angels...

Sheryl Crow

There is a song on "The Globe Sessions" titled "Riverwide" that rivals my love for any U2 song. Very very beautiful song.

------------------
I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

"New York" U2

"Pay heed all who enter: Beware of The Phog!"

Back
Top Bottom