Don't Say Goodbye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vlaco

Refugee
I recently discovered this Achtung Baby outtake. Listened to it over and over again. Awesome vocals by Bono if you ask me. :drool: I'm curious about your thoughts about this song...

I know the Achtung Baby outtakes, but I've never heard that one. :ohmy:

Not so sure about the vocals, Bono sound like a tortured cat for most of the song. I think I like the other ones better.

I know the Achtung Baby outtakes, but I've never heard that one. :ohmy:

Not so sure about the vocals, Bono sound like a tortured cat for most of the song. I think I like the other ones better.

A tortured cat? :giggle: Interesting...

I personally like it, despite the roughness :shrug:

This sounds like an extremely early version of WGRYWH with Bono just doing scat vocals as the band plays. Some of the phrases did end up in WGRYWH. There is no way that this could have released without Bono getting shot. As much grief as he got for Elvis and America on UF this is ten times worse vocally and lyrically. I don't know how you can count this as awesome vocals. Tortured cat is a much better description. He's obviously just feeling around for the melody and hasn't even started really looking for words yet. He's getting more comfortable toward the end but it is obvious that this is early early stages of development.

Dana

This sounds like an extremely early version of WGRYWH with Bono just doing scat vocals as the band plays. Some of the phrases did end up in WGRYWH. There is no way that this could have released without Bono getting shot. As much grief as he got for Elvis and America on UF this is ten times worse vocally and lyrically. I don't know how you can count this as awesome vocals. Tortured cat is a much better description. He's obviously just feeling around for the melody and hasn't even started really looking for words yet. He's getting more comfortable toward the end but it is obvious that this is early early stages of development.

Dana

Yeah, I know but that's why I like it. It's just a very rough and early version of a song. But I'm also a fan of Elvis And America so maby that's the explanation.

Dana

:hmm:

Good points....I'm not so sure I like it as a complete song, but some parts of it are quite enjoyable....

So this is an Achtung Baby outtake? I had never heard it before...

Dana, the drumming even sounds similar to Wild Horses....l think you're right :hmm:

:hmm:

Good points....I'm not so sure I like it as a complete song, but some parts of it are quite enjoyable....

So this is an Achtung Baby outtake? I had never heard it before...

Dana, the drumming even sounds similar to Wild Horses....l think you're right :hmm:

The overall rhythm of the song matches and Don't say goodbye is the same melody that he uses in WGRYWH on the 'Don't turn around' line and I think in this clip he did sing 'Don't turn around' at least once.

Dana

The overall rhythm of the song matches and Don't say goodbye is the same melody that he uses in WGRYWH on the 'Don't turn around' line and I think in this clip he did sing 'Don't turn around' at least once.

Dana
I noticed that too and WGRYWH is one of my favorite U2 songs. Especially the early Zoo TV performances.

This just shows you how energetic and experimental U2 were in those days. I miss that type of energy by the band.

This just shows you how energetic and experimental U2 were in those days. I miss that type of energy by the band.

How? :huh:

You're just hearing WGRYWH in its early early stages, when the band were still trying to get the instrumentals right and Bono was still getting a feel for the song....The only difference is, this was actually exposed to the public for some reason....I'm sure you could find stuff like this of any U2 song...

Are you sure this was part of the AB outtakes? It sounds more like what was part of bits heard outside Edge & Bono's place in Eze before the release of the last cd.....it does sound to me like a tune they were all just experimenting with. Bono's vocals aren't great throughout the entire song.

Well, it's what it is. Early version of Wild Horses for sure, and Bono is feeling up the tune. Nothing special except an insight in Bono's creative style of writing.

Are you sure this was part of the AB outtakes? It sounds more like what was part of bits heard outside Edge & Bono's place in Eze before the release of the last cd.....it does sound to me like a tune they were all just experimenting with. Bono's vocals aren't great throughout the entire song.

It sounds indeed like an early version of Wild Horses. I found this website: u2 bootleg - unreleased album

It is most definitely not one of the Eze beach clips because all of those had the sound of the ocean in them.

Dana

sounds pretty cool :)

and it can't indeed be an Eze outtake, since the guy's houses are about 4 to 5 meters away from the sea... you can't make a recording without the sea on it!

Morning Child/Wild Horses with different lyrics. I wonder where this is from?

I think the correct FWT (Fan Working Title) is Morning Child/Don't Turn Around.
More info here: News: Salome Outtakes - The making and history behind this bootleg (don't know what happened to the original site with this info, but at least it's preserved on that U2Station site)
This version of Morning Child/Don't Turn Around is CD 2 Track 5 I think.

So yeah, this is an oldie which has been around for a while...

Last edited:
Isn't this on the Salome 3CD Achtung Baby outtakes collection? I have that collection and I think it is.

I think the correct FWT (Fan Working Title) is Morning Child/Don't Turn Around.
More info here: News: Salome Outtakes - The making and history behind this bootleg (don't know what happened to the original site with this info, but at least it's preserved on that U2Station site)
This version of Morning Child/Don't Turn Around is CD 2 Track 5 I think.

So yeah, this is an oldie which has been around for a while...

Yup, this is one we already have--if you have the 3-disc Axtung Beibi set, or the 7-disc Hansa Ton Outtakes set. I used to also have that one-disc set that Vlaco linked to, but traded it away because it was taking up space and had nothing new on it.

Again, kind of shows the problems we run into when we have more than one fan title for a leaked track (which is why I prefer that all the Beachclips and HQ clips remain "Beachclip 402," etc., instead of assuming one is "No Line on the Horizon" or calling one "All My Life," etc.). :rant:

I thought this songs working title was Caledonia and was one of different versions. this goes back to early 90s when the AB demos came available for the first time:hmm:

Yeah, I had this on the 3 CD set of outtakes back in the day. There are a mess of takes over the same progression with Bono reaching for melodies. It's fun to hear the song emerge, but it's mostly mumbo-jumbo. It's also a testament to good band teamwork and stellar production - some of that material could have turned out really, really bad.

The "Caledonia" joke is a reference to a Lanois solo song - obviously Danny was in the room and Bono was teasing him a bit by singing that line like Lanois. I can't remember the name of the song, but it's on "Acadie."

It's still a little unnerving that the band writes a lot of its material in the studio. If you listen to those outtakes, you can hear them mining gold, but it is a slow, slow process waiting for "God to enter the room," as Bono says.

Back
Top Bottom