Doing My Part To Promote The New Album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
I work in the computer section of our campus bookstore, and today we set up an iPod/iTunes display outside of the store, to promote these products for the holiday season. Lots of heavy student traffic around the time I was stationed at it. I had loaded HTDAAB onto a few of our display computers back when it leaked, and we brought one of them out to showcase iTunes. So, naturally, I turned the speakers up and blasted it! It got some positive reactions and questions, like "Is this U2's new album? Is it out yet? Where can I buy it?"

The last question was particularly easy to answer:

"Uh...a music store here in town?"

But yeah - it was good times. I like promoting our guys. It's fun.

How about the rest of you - any stories to share about how you've gotten the album out there into the public ear? Played it for your friends, played it for your family, or maybe even complete strangers? What were the reactions?

Anyway - I'm off to the Target in the neighboring town to pick up my 29.99 copy of The Collector's Edition!

-Miggy D

P.S. - The discarded versions of the HTDAAB songs are really interesting. I don't think they're 'better,' and I can see why Adam and Larry were taking issue, but they're definitely worth listening to. 'SYCMIOYO' sounds a bit like 'Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad.' At least I got that vibe.

(And no, I don't have them. Listened to gorman's steam!)

Last edited:
I worked midnight madness at my job (Media Play) last night. I had the cd on the overhead and I was dressed as Bono! (I look NOTHING like him, but the effect was there) It was an awesome time! Lots of people came in and bought it

spencr00 said:
I worked midnight madness at my job (Media Play) last night. I had the cd on the overhead and I was dressed as Bono! (I look NOTHING like him, but the effect was there) It was an awesome time! Lots of people came in and bought it

dude, that's so awesome! :D For this whole week I'm wearing red, black, and white in support of HTDAAB. Today I wore my black U2 Elevation t-shirt and I wrote "U2" on my hand with black and red sharpies...and then I wrote "HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB" on my arm. Needless to say, it got people's attention. These two people in my French class were like "what's on your arm?" so I showed them and they read it slowly and kinda nodded like they understood, even though I could tell they were bloody clueless on why the hell I'd write the phrase "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" on my arm :p I had to explain to a lot of people what it meant... I told practically everyone I knew "U2's new album out today!!!" of course, most of them reacted by saying something along the lines of, "I know, you've been telling us this for the last month." :lol: I'm gonna bring my copy to school tomorrow to show off... maybe let people listen to a track...

I sent the leaked tracks to my best mate Alec a week or two ago and he just loves them. He listened to them over and over, said they were fantastic... he's going to pick up the album today (probably already has by now).

Flying FuManchu said:
Dude... Best Buy and Wal Mart seemingly have it for cheaper.... like $24.99 this week. With that said, I dislike buying CDs from Wal Mart...

If you're speaking of the CD + DVD version, I got that for $19.99 :D gotta love neighborhood record stores...they've also got this U2 DVD of a 1981 concert, I'd never seen it before. Apparently it's a UK import...but it costs $40. x_X anyone ever seen this?

Yea i went to classes wearing my vertigo t-shirt. I got quite a few nods I didn't know there were that many U2 fans in my class haha. Now if one of them were single, I'd be all set hahahahaha

AtomicBono said:

If you're speaking of the CD + DVD version, I got that for $19.99 :D gotta love neighborhood record stores...they've also got this U2 DVD of a 1981 concert, I'd never seen it before. Apparently it's a UK import...but it costs $40. x_X anyone ever seen this?

I'm talking about the CD/DVD/ Book version... I think the middle version of HTDAAB- CD/DVD only was like $14.99- $15.99... can't remember since I bought the one with the book. Best Buy is bad for mom & pop music stores but the prices are too good to pass up.:shifty:

This thread is cracking me up.

I was in line today with my collector's edition of HTDAAB and I turned around and the guy behind me has the CD in his hands! So I casually say, "You and I were thinking alike this morning!" And he told me how excited he was about the CD...so I say, "Oh you haven't heard it yet?" From there I filled him in about why he needed to buy the collector's edition and what was on it....and THEN I asked him if he had picked up a copy of the U2 Show book. He said no and I said he had to...we left the line together and I helped him find his new goodies! :D When I got back to the counter the cashier joked that I should start working for them! :laugh:

AtomicBono said:
I told practically everyone I knew "U2's new album out today!!!" of course, most of them reacted by saying something along the lines of, "I know, you've been telling us this for the last month." :lol:
:laugh: Definite feelings of kindred spirit over here. All day: "GUESS WHAT TODAY IS!" "Yes, U2's new album comes out, we know..." I don't know how my friends put up with me.

saltwaterkiss26 said:

:laugh: Definite feelings of kindred spirit over here. All day: "GUESS WHAT TODAY IS!" "Yes, U2's new album comes out, we know..." I don't know how my friends put up with me.

I think I scared all my friends away with my U2ieness

spencr00 said:

I think I scared all my friends away with my U2ieness
:hug: That's what blue crack is for; to remind you that yes, there are people like you out there in the world.

saltwaterkiss26 said:

LOL yeah I got the idea I was going a little overboard when my 7-year-old little brother came up to me this morning and said "guess what comes out today?" and I'm like "oh I know what comes out today, but do YOU?" and he goes "yeah, the U2 Vertigo soundtrack!" :cute: he got the idea kinda...:p he randomly goes "uno dos tres CATORCE!" it's the most adorable thing...he loves Vertigo :yes: and a lot of my friends love the song too, but even the ones that do often groan when I start talking about "the greatness of that one U2 concert I downloaded" or "this one hot Bono picture" or "that one thread from blue crack" ... I don't understand why none of them want to talk to me anymore...? :scratch:

hot damn, the CD + DVD set for $14.99?! a lot of plain old run-of-the-mill CDs are like $16.99...the list price on the CD + DVD set was actually like $23.95 or something like that but the place had it on sale, it was marked down to $19.99...

stars, that's so cool :D I wanted to talk to the lady buying the CD but she seemed to be in a hurry...or she prolly didn't expect some "kid" to be into U2 :p

Flying FuManchu said:
Dude... Best Buy and Wal Mart seemingly have it for cheaper.... like $24.99 this week. With that said, I dislike buying CDs from Wal Mart...

Total fiasco at Wal-Mart today. I was going to go to Target like I said, but then I checked on the Wal-Mart website and it was listed as 23.88. So i was like, 'Hells, yeah, bitch!' So I called the local Walmart (the next town over...but in the opposite direction of the town that has the Target - one's North East, the other is South West. Anyway - the dude at the electronics department sounded mildly retarded. I asked them if they were carrying the Collector's Edition of the new U2 album. He said, rather quickly, which let me know he did absolutely no research on the subject, "Uh...no, we have the regular CD for 9.98." So I said, "Really? Ok." And hung up. But then a minute later I called back and said, "Hey, I'm lookinag the Wal-Mart website right now and it says your store should have it...do you think you could double-check?"

"Ok," he says, and I get put on hold and listen to some adult contemporary for a couple minutes before he comes back on. "Yes, we do have it."

"Great, I'll be right over." So I hop in my car and drive the 7 miles to Dixon. I walk into Wal-Mart, straight to the electronics section, and snag a copy. However, it is priced at 32.88, not 23.88. This gets me a little ticked. I walk up to the guy staffing the department, who is the same guy I had the pleasure of speaking with on the phone, and tell him about the website, etc.

"Uh...they were probably just factoring in the fact you'll be paying tax."

"No," I reply, "Tax wouldn't cost 9 dollars. Also, I've bought things from both Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart online, and the prices are identical, at every Wal-Mart and the the website as well."

"Well...maybe they were having a promotion."

"Hmm...you might be right," I humor him, "but do you think I could speak to the manager?"

"Sure, just go over to customer service."

Walking over to customer service, I asked to speak to the manager, and she came out of her office after making me wait about 5 minutes. I explained to her the situation. She told me it was probably an online promotion. I said, "Well, I have a friend in Southern California who paid 25 dollars for his copy..." (In reality I was just quoting I heard on this forum, but I really didn't feel like explaining all of that to her, nor do I think she would have cared.)

She called some representative or...something. Some lady on the phone, and this lady confirmed that it was indeed some promotion (although she gave her answer so quickly I don't think she looked up shit - she was probably clueless like the manager). So I just sighed in resignation and said I'd purchase it anyway. I had 9 dollars on my walmart gift card so I got it for 25.88 after tax, which was still a good deal, but to think I could have had it for 16 bucks! Damn Wal-Mart...how can I despise you but still, at the end of the day, want to buy stuff from you?

It truly is like that recent South Park episode... (If you haven't seen it, find it and download it and watch it. Funny, funny stuff. Even if you don't like South Park - its commentary on Wal-Mart and other big chains is spot-on.)

Anyway - is anyone else a little disappointed with the booklet of art and the DVD? Oh well. Still glad I got Fast Cars though, but I just felt like the booklet and DVD were an excuse to sell more CDs. If you're going to include that stuff, and sell it for a price that's double or more the CD alone, make it worthwhile. I expect more from U2, ya' know?

Later, guys!

-Miggy

I loved the booklet! The quote in the beggining from the atomic bomb tester about destruction and evil starts the whole thing off and by the time you reach the Ghandi quote about change and love...whew! It most definetly goes with the album and it's theme. I really enjoyed reading about some of Bono's memories or experiences.

Back
Top Bottom