Doest It Suck.. When People Hate On U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I have seen is people get sick of the band. In 04 with HTDAAB, it was a nice treat to welcome U2 back, and everyone was liking them, but by the time 06 grammys were over, pretty much all the casual fans and non fans were sick to death of the band. Than they decided to collab with the worlds most overplayed rock act Green Day, and it was pretty much U2 overload at that point.

:up:

This is the reason why success breeds haters. Anything that repeats too much is naturallly irritating. U2 had the album, Bono AFRICA campaigning, the long Vertigo tour that was extended due to family health problems, and U2 3D. There were also DVD releases of Chicago and Milan. U2 was also making people sick after the Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum/R & H movie era. Too much. I think that's partly why U2 change their sound. From an article I read U2 knew what Coldplay were up to and could sense their "territory" being encroached on so they turned a corner on the new album. When U2 went towards POP a lot of music got more electronic (especially Radiohead) and then U2 turned a corner when Kid A came out just so they can be different. You have to stay on your toes if you want to be on top.

Here's what Adam said during the Moroccan sessions:

"Whatever comes of these Moroccan sessions, and those that preceded them in France, Adam agrees that they seem to be a conscious departure from All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. "By the end of the last tour everyone thought that for us to come back with a "part two" of the rock record would not be right.

"Partly it is important for us to surprise people, but partly it is about the mood that is out there. For example there are a lot of young rock bands out there at the moment doing really great stuff and it feels to us like let them do that..."

And for those who hate Coldplay for trying to take on U2, just remember those interviews where The Edge called The Rolling Stones "unimpressive" live, and that [U2] were better? He WAS right, but you know what is going on? It's competition. Get used to it. I think U2 will ride out the Coldplay thing, because they make nice music but it's doesn't last on repeat listenings the way U2 does. Chris Martin is more a big U2 fan with some talent than a real competitor.

The best band is the one that can be listened to more often without fatigue.

Yeah...a lot of my friends think I'm retarded because I listen to U2, and that I'm not listening to music of "my generation". pffh. :angry:

People who dog on U2 are either dense, jealous, or just ass holes who listen to Soulja Boy and the Jonas Brothers.

I don't think any of my top ten are universally liked, most of them have their haters... in fact U2 is probably the closest to being universally liked :shrug:

I had a friend seriously get mad at me for saying that U2 was better than Filter tonight...:doh:. Im sick of people, especially those that I like..who enjoy not liking U2 because it seems like the cool thing to do. I say man this song is great..."But its, U2" (I get as a response).

Bottom line is that lately i have to defend U2 so much as a band more than I find people who actually like them....

I went to the Stone Temple Pilots concert where i met two couples from Ireland who even say that they cant stand Bono haha "U2's earlier stuff were amazing, but now they can put a lump of shit in a can and sell it for millions of dollars" one of the Irishman with a deep broage (spelling?) told me at the concert
I felt the same way after the recent X-Files film. It's like it's part of your identity or something, right?

However, maybe your first friend is a filter fan and was hurt by your comment.

Try not to worry. It's been like this ever since I became a u2 fan. Teens my age were more into crappy bands like Bon Jovi and rap and stuff. Part of it may have to do with your generation if you're 30 or under. It's also a lot to do with media exposure. Bono is everywhere, so it's easy to get upset if he says something silly and even more easy to hate the band if their songs are not liked. It's why I can't stand Coldplay. The band isn't too bad in and of itself, but the repetition is overwhelming. I used to just not like Vertigo, but it's been 2 years since I've heard it, when it was repeated over and over, and I still HATE it. Anyway, don't worry about U2. Their very well treated by the media and sell tons of albums.

I'm more worried about The Cure..... The band got a number 1 single with "Sleep When I'm Dead" in the US with almost no radio plays and no one's talking about it in the media.

:up:From an article I read U2 knew what Coldplay were up to and could sense their "territory" being encroached on so they turned a corner on the new album.

Do you remember where you read this? I've often wondered how much these two bands know about each others progress, especially since Brian Eno has been alternating between them lately. I'm really curious to hear Eno explain how he can work with both at practically the same time, and how it influences him/them/their records.

You have to stay on your toes if you want to be on top.
The best band is the one that can be listened to more often without fatigue.

Very well said!

Do you remember where you read this? I've often wondered how much these two bands know about each others progress, especially since Brian Eno has been alternating between them lately. I'm really curious to hear Eno explain how he can work with both at practically the same time, and how it influences him/them/their records.

Very well said!

Songwriting in Morocco, Pt. 3 | U2 news article from @U2

It's kind of a Moroccan diary U2.com were doing. I can almost guarantee Eno would have shown U2 what Coldplay were up to. U2 has always been aware of what up and coming competition are doing. This competition makes U2 hungry to up the ante on their music because they usually change to fit what the audience hungers for.

When ATYCLB was out POP was considered a screw up especially when American audiences didn't show interest and album sales weren't as high as AB. People hungered for it, especially after September 11th, 2001. Then came HTDAAB. That was just rock 'n roll to solidify what they were doing which was better than anyone else was doing. Coldplay had X & Y which was good but not really a change, and some crappy songs adding to an overlong album. "Twisted Logic" has got to be the worst Radiohead impression I've heard. They even stole lyrics from Electioneering for Christ sakes! Radiohead was going through a change after Hail to the thief which was an album with good songs and crap songs leading to an overlong dour fest. I still haven't been able to listen to We suck the young blood from beginning to the end.

Perfect timing for U2.

Now that bands are actually aiming to dethrone U2 after the Grammys the band can see the opportunity to "surprise" again. It really reminds me of the Beatles being aware of their competition and changing their style to up the ante, especially when the Beach Boys competed with Pet Sounds and lost to Sgt. Pepper in popularity.

I think U2's staying power will be reflected on this new album. If it doesn't satisfy at least better than Coldplay or Radiohead then U2 will have to decide what they want to do with their career more carefully. If U2 is fatiguing people a change in style may do the trick. Also having an album with no bad songs on it will help.

Sometimes people ask me when we're discussing music what I like, I say U2 and they just chuckle and say "why the hell do ya like em" or "they suck!"

Mostly the people I know either are into crap like Fallout Boy and crap rap and harder stuff like ACDC and Metallica.

I'd just say in a confident fashion "Your Musical Taste Sucks!"

At least i'm lucky that one of my friends enjoys U2 as much as I do.

:wink:

To answer the original poster:

Yeah, it does suck when people hate on my favorite band, but what can I do about it? People can like what they like and no one should let it bother them. Joking around about it is totally cool, as long as you respect the other person's tastes in the end.

Music is subjective. Not everyone has to like U2.

(Even the Irish)

(Though I think if you're Catholic you have to)

Ah, I read that too purpleoscar. But I was more interested in how much they actually new and how they reacted to that, in their own words. Hopefully, one day...

The re-releases of older material and videos being remastered has made me remember why I liked the band in the first place. Also the prospect of a new album and a change of sound helps as well.

I never have to remember why I like this band...my life is full of memories which correspond to different U2 songs. They've been a constant in my life for 26 years and I don't see that changing. It doesn't matter to me if people like them or not, although if they don't like them, I don't know why they would want to hang out here.

But...everyone is entitled to their opinion. U2 have never done anything for people to bad-mouth them about but that's just the nature of people. If you don't like their music, listen to something else. There are many other bands and types of music to listen to.

it's annoying when people slag off Bono's work outside of U2, whatever you wanna call it. they have every right to challenge it, or have an opinion, but 99% of the time, they're just saying the same old cliched thing. "music's got nothing to do with politics, he should stay out of it, and just sing, blah blah blah. it makes me sick, he's a millionaire and he's like 'make poverty history', blah, why doesnt he donate his millions, blahhhh." in the past, i've tried to defend him slightly, but i've taken a step back now, coz no matter what i say, i just sound like a deluded fan or whatever. so yeah, it is annoying lol. also, the whole "edge just plays the same thnig every time, hee hee!" which has been prompted by that comedian dude. bill bailey? anyways.

Back
Top Bottom