Doest It Suck.. When People Hate On U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2/Bono bashing used to bother me a lot, but these days I mostly shrug and go "oh well". Some people don't like my favourite bands, I don't think much of some bands that a lot of people love. It's all balanced out, :)

Dude, if people don't liek U2 they don't like them... give up getting on your high horse about it. If people I know bag U2 (happens all the time) I laugh with them!

You mean like the "lozl he sucks and only playes two nots over and ovr" comments? Yeah, those are :doh:

exactly...haha

I love it when a guitar player will say something like "he isn't even playing fast! he sucks!" - oh I can't stand that

What I hate the most is that my friends make fun of me because U2 are "old"....okay the Rolling Stones are old dude not U2.

I dont really mind when people rag on Bono for some reason, everybody does lol, but when it comes to Edge i get pretty defensive.

I accidentally set off some haters on Youtube when I said that U2 owned Radiohead and Coldplay. The main response I got was: "U2 is a lame excuse for a band...theyve had like the same bassline for like 20 years and the guitar is fuckin lame n simple n only covered up with effects to make it "awesome"
bono is a self-righteous biggot who is definetly goin to hell". It's the same thing they all seem to say.

I accidentally set off some haters on Youtube when I said that U2 owned Radiohead and Coldplay. The main response I got was: "U2 is a lame excuse for a band...theyve had like the same bassline for like 20 years and the guitar is fuckin lame n simple n only covered up with effects to make it "awesome"
bono is a self-righteous biggot who is definetly goin to hell". It's the same thing they all seem to say.

oh wow...just the same ignornat bullshit over and over :doh:

But they have had the same bass line for 20 years...

Adam rocks. His bank account rocks. :drool:

Last edited:
Another example of people's hate on U2, was the recent Nelson Mandela concert. The crowd were just not into them at all (you could see a few clapping - very few). Basically it reminds of their performance at Live8, the crowd just didn't care for how good they were at performing because most have a distaste for Bono.

This is pretty typical in the UK, when people are brainwashed and are so 'into' believing every piece of drivel that comes out of The Sun newspaper. Not everyone in the UK is like this, but there are a lot. I've lost count on the amount of times my friends would come up to me and say "hey I read about Bono doing this that etc" and I just ask where they read it "The Sun". Sigh.

I bet most people were at the concert to just see Razorlight, sugarbabes and amy winehouse perform.

Sometimes is just too easy to see people's disinterest in U2, look at 1:48 on the video of them performing at the nelson mandela concert. A guy clearly rather read his mobile phone messages, a couple of people not even facing the stage, 3 people jumping with the rest looking completely bored.

Maybe I just love U2 too much, but I wouldn't be bored or rather reading my mobile phone, as that was a really good performance!

That's because you just don't get it. :tsk:

I always find it funny when people find it necessary to attack those who attack U2. Couldn't you at least pretend to be better than that?

I agree. First, I'm old - so I don't care. But when people say banal things like "all their stuff sounds the same", I realize that they've hear a few songs and dismissed U2. Their sample set is so small, that it's not worth arguing with those few insane individuals. One man, an older gentleman, said this to me, while praising a Sinatra record that was full of similar sounding showtunes. I love me some Sinatra, but those songs were intended to sound the same so I found it funny how he could love an album full of similar sounding songs from one artist, but hate it from another.

Also, I sometimes challenge people. I tell them I'll make them a CD full of U2 songs and see if they still hate them. Go way back and pick songs like "Out of Control" and "Electric Co.". Then add in "One Tree Hill" and "Bad". Toss in "Heartland". Throw in "The Fly" and "Numb". Toss in "Mofo" and "Walk On". Complete it with "Fast Cars". And see then if these same people still can claim that U2 songs all "sound the same" and that there's nothing there that they like. If this is still their attitude after they REALLY listened to it, fine, they don't like U2. Life goes on. :D

Bottom line is that lately i have to defend U2 so much as a band more than I find people who actually like them....

I went to the Stone Temple Pilots concert where i met two couples from Ireland who even say that they cant stand Bono haha

1. Why do you have to defend them? I really don't get it. To be honest I don't really see why it's an issue for you or your mates. My fiance likes a certain artist who drives me mental but I'm not going to harp on about it nor do I want him to defend the music he loves. Completely pointless and silly. I'm happy spending time listening to what I like rather than yapping about someone else's music taste.

2. Should the couples from here (Ireland) like Bono or something? :scratch: I don't understand the significance of them being Irish and not being able to stand the bloke.

Sometimes is just too easy to see people's disinterest in U2, look at 1:48 on the video of them performing at the nelson mandela concert. A guy clearly rather read his mobile phone messages, a couple of people not even facing the stage, 3 people jumping with the rest looking completely bored.

Maybe I just love U2 too much, but I wouldn't be bored or rather reading my mobile phone, as that was a really good performance!

It's not just a U2/Bono thing.

I was at a Kylie concert this week. I'm not her biggest fan but she put on a pretty decent show. I'm hoping that the people who forked out the £60 for the tickets were there because they liked her but I really have my doubts. For the first hour they sat/stood around like dummies. There were plenty of people using their mobiles and sending messages. We were stuck beside a couple who looked miserable the whole time and left halfway through. Then there was the group of really drunk people who spent the whole time slagging her off and standing with their backs to the stage. It's not the only concert I've been to where a group of people have stood talking throughout the whole thing and paid no attention whatsoever to what's going on either.

1. Why do you have to defend them? I really don't get it. To be honest I don't really see why it's an issue for you or your mates.
It's not just a U2/Bono thing.

I've seriously never had to defend U2's music. Guess I'm lucky, because I don't take it personally when someone doesn't like the same thing as I do. There is hardly anyone I know who doesn't know how I feel about U2. Most people who like some other kind of music, know how I feel about U2 but fandom is limited.
I don't care. I just figure that's not their thing. I respect their music taste and even like some of their choices.
U2 are my favorite and they know that. It's all good, really. :up:

Another example of people's hate on U2, was the recent Nelson Mandela concert. The crowd were just not into them at all (you could see a few clapping - very few). Basically it reminds of their performance at Live8, the crowd just didn't care for how good they were at performing because most have a distaste for Bono.

This is pretty typical in the UK, when people are brainwashed and are so 'into' believing every piece of drivel that comes out of The Sun newspaper.

There are several thoughts here:

1) U2 is getting old. Young kids like young artists. Even with illegal downloads, U2 still would be selling big today if they were 26-32 as they were in the JT-AB era. So it's not always easy to get a younger crowd into what they consider their "parents' band". I doubt this was a huge reason, but there is truth to this statement.

2) The faces shown in the concert sometimes aren't representative of the audience overall. Sometimes they show people up close who are more there for exposure and because it's "cool" then they are for the music. In other words, those people who looked disinterested at U2 probably looked that way for all the other artists too.

3) U2 haven't released anything new in a while. The L8 show I saw looked great and the crowd was into U2 - so I disagree with you there. But for the Mandella concert, as I haven't seen it, it's just possible U2's reception was a bit more mild as they haven't produced something new in almost 4 years.

4) Even if the crowds were mild, when U2 goes to Ireland, the U.K., Australia, Italy, South Africa, Spain, the U.S., etc., they perform at multiple sold-out stadiums and arenas. U2 sold out, what, 9 shows in Boston on their last tour? 9! How many in NY? How many in Chicago? Their tickets sell out in minutes in Europe - full stadiums worth of tickets gone in minutes! So even if the crowd in the U.K. wasn't into them that day, when U2 tours there, they have several hundred thousand people anxious to see them perform. I doubt Amy Winehouse can do that.

In other words, don't let some concert footage where there were probably more posers than fans fool or concern you. I think the real test comes when an artist tours. U2 are one of the few artists out there who are popular worldwide.

I think a lot of the crowd were disapointed because they thought u2 were gonna perform live, but it wasnt to be.

I think a large part of the reason many fans get their backs up and feel they need to respond when someone criticises U2 is not so much because U2 needs defending, but because often an attack on U2 is felt as an attack on the fan and on his/her taste. I mean if someone says "U2 makes shit music no one with any taste could possibly like" when you tell them "U2's my very favourite band" it's telling you your taste sucks. That can be mighty damned irritating, especially if it happens to you a lot. Now I don't think it helps to "defend" U2 to people who really dislike them for whatever reason, but I can understand the irritation people can feel when others dismiss them -- and in doing so slight their fans' musical taste.

But when people say banal things like "all their stuff sounds the same", I realize that they've hear a few songs and dismissed U2. Their sample set is so small, that it's not worth arguing with those few insane individuals. One man, an older gentleman, said this to me, while praising a Sinatra record that was full of similar sounding showtunes. I love me some Sinatra, but those songs were intended to sound the same so I found it funny how he could love an album full of similar sounding songs from one artist, but hate it from another.

I think often people who aren't really fans of a particular artist feel all their music sounds alike whereas fans are more tuned in to the various nuances of the music and often hear great variety in their faves music. My favourite band has made a lot of albums over the years and I find each album quite different, and that view is shared by most of their fans. However, I have heard/read many "everything they do sounds the same" comments from people who aren't fans. My all time favourite comment in that vein was "they've made one album -- twenty times." While I disagree with it I have to admit it's a great line! :lol:

My all time favourite comment in that vein was "they've made one album -- twenty times." While I disagree with it I have to admit it's a great line! :lol:

Sorry. Im gonna have to steal that one for future use :)

I think a lot of the crowd were disapointed because they thought u2 were gonna perform live, but it wasnt to be.

Yeah ... plus, how excited do you get in response to watching something on a big TV? If I had been there, I wouldn't have gone apeshit at a taped performance. I liked it, but I would think there wouldn't be a lot of cheering because it's a taped performance. :shrug:

I have to say that I think some of the replies would vary depending on how old the people are posting.

In high school or even college, I can see how it would be highly obnoxious to have people in your face saying U2 sucks, U2's gay, U2 is the worst, etc. etc. etc.

I have to say that I think some of the replies would vary depending on how old the people are posting.

In high school or even college, I can see how it would be highly obnoxious to have people in your face saying U2 sucks, U2's gay, U2 is the worst, etc. etc. etc.

I'm wondering if it is mostly the younger fans who are getting the static for liking U2? I'm 41, and although none of my friends are as big a fan as I am, they all seem to like or at least respect U2. I did know one or two people back in the late '80s who thought they were overrated or thought they sold out or were simply tired of the constant hype or whatever, but I was genuinely shocked years later when I went online and found out how many people really, really REALLY hate U2. Then I got over it because its online and you can find rabid haters for anything online.

it doesnt bother me when ppl hate on u2 thats there opinion

but i dont see the point in making sites just so you can pick on them
if you hated them so much why bother wasting your time doing that

I may be a bit late to this but I was at the Mandela gig and I totally don't agree with the reports above. Where I was (right next to the big screen) people were clapping and singing along to the chorus. And yes, maybe some where disappointed (including me) they wheren't there for a surprise appearence :)

There are several thoughts here:

1) U2 is getting old. Young kids like young artists. Even with illegal downloads, U2 still would be selling big today if they were 26-32 as they were in the JT-AB era. So it's not always easy to get a younger crowd into what they consider their "parents' band". I doubt this was a huge reason, but there is truth to this statement.

2) The faces shown in the concert sometimes aren't representative of the audience overall. Sometimes they show people up close who are more there for exposure and because it's "cool" then they are for the music. In other words, those people who looked disinterested at U2 probably looked that way for all the other artists too.

3) U2 haven't released anything new in a while. The L8 show I saw looked great and the crowd was into U2 - so I disagree with you there. But for the Mandella concert, as I haven't seen it, it's just possible U2's reception was a bit more mild as they haven't produced something new in almost 4 years.

4) Even if the crowds were mild, when U2 goes to Ireland, the U.K., Australia, Italy, South Africa, Spain, the U.S., etc., they perform at multiple sold-out stadiums and arenas. U2 sold out, what, 9 shows in Boston on their last tour? 9! How many in NY? How many in Chicago? Their tickets sell out in minutes in Europe - full stadiums worth of tickets gone in minutes! So even if the crowd in the U.K. wasn't into them that day, when U2 tours there, they have several hundred thousand people anxious to see them perform. I doubt Amy Winehouse can do that.

In other words, don't let some concert footage where there were probably more posers than fans fool or concern you. I think the real test comes when an artist tours. U2 are one of the few artists out there who are popular worldwide.

Honestly U2 is one of the few bands that can get the younger generations attention when they put something out. BD and Vertigo are pretty popular with the youth. What I have seen is people get sick of the band. In 04 with HTDAAB, it was a nice treat to welcome U2 back, and everyone was liking them, but by the time 06 grammys were over, pretty much all the casual fans and non fans were sick to death of the band. Than they decided to collab with the worlds most overplayed rock act Green Day, and it was pretty much U2 overload at that point. I remember sometime in 05 Radio One (i think) did a no U2 week, of absolutely no U2 music whatsoever. Add Bono's constant preaching in this mix, and its easy to be sick of the band, and start hating on them if your not that big of a fan.

As far as the Mandela show, they appeared in a video. It would have been dif if they were their in person. If the faces at shows represented the persons interest for the band, than The ROlling Stones would be billed as the most boring band around, judging by their US audiences I have seen.

It doesnt bug me if people don't like U2. There is no one band everyone likes, and its pointless getting mad about it. Some people just don't like U2's music,:eek:hmy I mean is their anything in the world that can force us to like Miley Cyrus??:ohmy: Prolly not................unless of course buying her album, ensures us fans a new U2 album every year........than mayyyby :D

I'm wondering if it is mostly the younger fans who are getting the static for liking U2? I'm 41, and although none of my friends are as big a fan as I am, they all seem to like or at least respect U2. I did know one or two people back in the late '80s who thought they were overrated or thought they sold out or were simply tired of the constant hype or whatever, but I was genuinely shocked years later when I went online and found out how many people really, really REALLY hate U2. Then I got over it because its online and you can find rabid haters for anything online.

well I'm 21, and I've been hearing it ever since I was 14 about being a U2 fan. it stopped bugging me by the time I was 15 :wink:

Back
Top Bottom