Doesn't it scare you to lose the magic of first listen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Although I am desperate to listen to new U2. I think it would suck to download the whole thing now and lose the magic of the first listen.

You know, when you have the case, the lyrics, the pictures and you just submerge yourself in the mood.

It's ok to listen to a few songs of the new album. Getting an idea of what it will sound like. But, the whole fucking thing?

What will you have to look forward to? :huh:

BrownEyedBoy said:

I've been looking forward to it for long enough. :wink: Whether I listened to the album now or on the 23rd wouldn't have made much of a difference. It still would have kicked ass either way.

And I'm still looking forward to the book, the album sleeve, the singles, etc. I've decided not to download any B-sides or Fast Cars if they get leaked before the official release dates.

I think it adds to the excitement with a group like ours when a new album is leaked. It adds a whole other dimension. The magic is still there.

It was magic...I have it playing in three rooms of the house and it's like the world seems like a better place today...:cool:

Nope... I downloaded the new Duran Duran album a month before it came out. The relief over the anticipation being over overshadowed any thoughts about not waiting till it actually came out.

And I bought the album anyways, like I would've. :)

BrownEyedBoy said:
Although I am desperate to listen to new U2. I think it would suck to download the whole thing now and lose the magic of the first listen.

You know, when you have the case, the lyrics, the pictures and you just submerge yourself in the mood.

It's ok to listen to a few songs of the new album. Getting an idea of what it will sound like. But, the whole fucking thing?

I remember waking up. Tired, yesterday was, after all, friday, I went down to play some Civ3. I played for two hours, I then found out that my mom made pancakes and huge breakfeast. Omg.
Then I checked the internet.
"It's here!"
I read it.
I felt he was kidding - but then the Miracle Drug link worked - and that was magic.
This day will never be forgotten, U2 have done it again, my 2nd favourite of their albums, and boy, I feel the magic. The magic was there, I assure you.

Yes, it does. That's why I will not listen to the leaked album. I want to wait for the 'real thing', open it up, look at the pics and read the notes, smell the plastic, then put it in my car CD player and drive home listening to it.

The novelty of having the album cover\booklet wears off very quickly. It hardly complements the album. The music lasts forever. I see no point in waiting until you can get the cover\booklet when you can just burn it to cd and listen to it from start to finish right now. :|

AussieU2fanman said:
The novelty of having the album cover\booklet wears off very quickly. It hardly complements the album. The music lasts forever. I see no point in waiting until you can get the cover\booklet when you can just burn it to cd and listen to it from start to finish right now. :|
:up: Yes, if anything, burning the music on a blank disc and just listening without having any distractions or visuals to go with the music may in fact be the "purest" way to experience the tunes. To be honest, if you are going to wait till the 23rd, do yourself a favour and get away from this part of the forum... the worst thing you could do to ruin the magic of that first listen is to read all these reviews!

hey, i've been anticipating this cd for 4 years. today is a better day because i've heard 11 new U2 songs that totally kick ass. don't starve yourself any longer. you'll buy the cd anyway.

U2Kitten said:
I want to wait for the 'real thing'

This was the real thing.

To me it was actually more exciting. I couldn't take off from work on the 23rd or any day that week (I even have to work Thanksgiving). This way I downloaded it Saturday, spent all day figuring out how/when I would listen, and spent Saturday night and all day Sunday enjoying. No work stresses etc. Pure Bliss.:drool:

it was magical, and it still is magical. possibly more magical because of the element of surprise and disbelief. carpe diem--i've got an extra two weeks to love the best cd i've heard in years. i still have a ton of enthusiasm left for running out and getting the real thing. i can't wait to have the artwork and the lyrics. i'll probably cave and buy the boxset too (tricky because i'm without a job at the moment. if money were no object, i'd buy everything like the U2 tramp i am). it's that good.

Last edited:
I downloaded the album and have listened to it a GREAT many times, now...and, yeah, I do feel like I missed out on a little bit of something. For me, the packaging of an album, it's liner notes, and the actually physical opportunity to hold THE album (not just a CD-R) in my hands really means a lot to me. That's something that I sort of feel cheated on (of course, I did cheat myself), but I think I'll survive; this will indeed be the first time that I've listened to a U2 album without the real deal in front of me during the first spin, but what it all comes down to is the music. All the other stuff does have a bearing on how I judge an album, because I think that an album does have more that just sonic qualities to it, but the music is still number one...obviously.

As for getting it early, I have no qualms with that. There's an indie store in my area from which I've been buying U2's albums a few days early for YEARS, now.

We were able to get a copy on Saturday at ITH. We listened to it at 4am surrounded by 30 other hard core U2 fans, including Mr. BP Fallon. I can't think of a better way to hear it for the first time.

spinninghead77 said:
We were able to get a copy on Saturday at ITH. We listened to it at 4am surrounded by 30 other hard core U2 fans, including Mr. BP Fallon. I can't think of a better way to hear it for the first time.

That is fucking AWESOME. Wow...

:shocked:

I still got a great first listen. Didn't have the booklet but I printed out the lyrics and listened to it on headphones very loudly. I think it is better to just hear the whole album. If anything, listening to snippets and individual songs ruins the expereince much more, because you half know what it sounds like.

Cool story spinninghead, I downloaded the album, listened to about a 1:30 of each song (sans Vertigo, which I listened all the way through) and decided I'm going to wait the obligatory 2 weeks.

I love what I hear, and the pull is great, but like U2Kitten I want the satisfaction of throwing it my car, with the liner notes and all that for the first time and blasting it from Vertigo to Yahweh!!

I must say listening to the first minute of Crumbs made it tough not to finish, but I resisted.

Back
Top Bottom