Does your age effect your obsession? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2002, 04:42 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 PM
I listen to heaps of bands, but I've only had two truly deep musical loves so far: Queen, when I was about thirteen years old, and U2 since 2000. I'm not a sort of person who gets obsessed easily, but when I do get passionate about something, it takes over my entire being. And I think that visiting this forum and other U2 discussion groups was what helped my obsession along: it's like a candle that burns so brightly because there're other candles that lend a bit of their flames to mine.

My passion for U2 is probably very different to what it's been like a couple of years ago when there was sooooo much stuff to discover about the band that I'd spend nights and days on the net in some sort of feverish state, just trying to absorb as much as I could without my head bursting to bits. I guess it evolved into something more calm, although not any less intense.

As for age... well, I'm only 22, but I've noticed that almost all of the bands I ever got seriously interested in are "older" bands. It's not to say that there's no good new music around, but to me almost all of those new groups seem awfully faceless. There's an argument out there that the music itself is the only thing that matters, but I just don't think that music (and rock music in particular) would be anywhere as exciting without its strong, iconic, larger-than-life figures who not only gave the world the music, but also put a face on it, gave it its own mythology. I just don't see that sort of quality in any of the newer bands.

Old 08-12-2002, 06:38 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:07 PM
:yes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
I listen to heaps of bands, but I've only had two truly deep musical loves so far: Queen, when I was about thirteen years old, and U2 since 2000. I'm not a sort of person who gets obsessed easily, but when I do get passionate about something, it takes over my entire being. And I think that visiting this forum and other U2 discussion groups was what helped my obsession along: it's like a candle that burns so brightly because there're other candles that lend a bit of their flames to mine.

My passion for U2 is probably very different to what it's been like a couple of years ago when there was sooooo much stuff to discover about the band that I'd spend nights and days on the net in some sort of feverish state, just trying to absorb as much as I could without my head bursting to bits. I guess it evolved into something more calm, although not any less intense.

As for age... well, I'm only 22, but I've noticed that almost all of the bands I ever got seriously interested in are "older" bands. It's not to say that there's no good new music around, but to me almost all of those new groups seem awfully faceless. There's an argument out there that the music itself is the only thing that matters, but I just don't think that music (and rock music in particular) would be anywhere as exciting without its strong, iconic, larger-than-life figures who not only gave the world the music, but also put a face on it, gave it its own mythology. I just don't see that sort of quality in any of the newer bands.
Exactly. I'm with you on everything you said (only difference is that I personally do get obsessed with things easily...hehe).

Angela

Old 08-12-2002, 12:34 PM   #43
War Child

Local Time: 08:07 PM
I seem to find i'm not so interested in any new bands anymore..... I think I'm totally obssessed with U2 and theres no room left for anyone else! And I'm only 17!