Does U2 Suffer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think songwriters and the innovators Bono and Edge are the lazy ones in this decade, the rhythm section just works with what they get.

Bonos voice is for the moment in its best form and if it wouldnt it would still do its function. Listen to DWTIME, BD(studio version), Slide Away, IALW... Well Bonos voice wasnt the strongest for these moments but they did the song. He will always manage do sing low and normal no matter how bad his voice could be. And that would still make the songs amazing.

Jeef690 said:
What is slide away and DWTIME?

Slide Away is a song Bono did with Michael H from Inxs in 1998, I think this was just after his surgey. Bonos voice is very limited. Dreaming with tears in my eyes is the other one.

came in here late.......

not sure why some of you jumped all over gherman for asking a simple question.

i believe they probably do arrange songs a little differently compared to when he had more range on Achtung Baby. it's not a bad thing, but you have to adapt to your environment.

gherman said:
Thanks Rosebud and screwtape2 for your input.

P.S. What is trolling? I didn't know I was doing it... whatever it is. I just had a thought and was looking for feedback, no more no less. I don't visit very often so I must be out of some loop here.

I can see where your coming from gherman, I think the band is limited ion its creativity due to Bono's voice for example, I dont think U2 can do another song like lemon anymore. Otherwise they can still create amazing songs! i think the people who harsfly replied to you and accused you of trolling I honestly can't see how you can consider his thread trolling.:no:

dabiggestu2fan said:

I can see where your coming from gherman, I think the band is limited ion its creativity due to Bono's voice for example, I dont think U2 can do another song like lemon anymore. Otherwise they can still create amazing songs! i think the people who harsfly replied to you and accused you of trolling I honestly can't see how you can consider his thread trolling.:no:

Thanks,

All I can say after posting this thread is that I can feel a lot of tension in the forum... if that means anything.

Last edited:
gherman said:

Thanks,

All I can say after posting this thread is that I can feel a lot of tension in the forum... if that means anything.

If it's any consolation, I hear what you're saying. I've felt and seen it brewing for a while. Yesterday was the day I finally thought 'enough' and posted my thread! :hug:

mikal said:
came in here late.......

not sure why some of you jumped all over gherman for asking a simple question.

i believe they probably do arrange songs a little differently compared to when he had more range on Achtung Baby. it's not a bad thing, but you have to adapt to your environment.

Yes, isn't that what most bands do? I don't think it would make sense otherwise. A band, especially if they've been together for so long, learn to adjust to each other's limitations and work to bring out each other's strengths.

shaun vox said:
"he hits notes just as well as he did back in the 1985"

are we listening to the same band?? listen to WOWY (live) bono can not sing that song ! i love u2 but to say bono still has his voice is just insane. his voice has improved since the elevation tour. but is no-where near the quality he had back then during JT and achtung.both studio and especially live (those are my fave u2 times) Duh

yes we are listening to the same band and i stilll believe what i said he sings in a different way but still has same vocal range not same tone but but yeah just listen to last leg of vertigo on bad and with or without you

Well,
I would suggest that it pushed them in different directions. A few examples: A Man and A Woman. I know most people don't like this, but I think its one of the best, most innovative songs on the album.

Another example is that he's really working his range, for instance on SYCMIOYO. I feel that the complete use of his range on this is practically unparalleled.

However, your question does make me wonder what the band thinks when they're playing live, and he just *can't quite do it*, if they get embarassed or feel bad, or if it just plays back into the nostalgia of the whole thing and they roll with it. You know its something they've discussed...

Peterrrrr said:

just after his surgey.

What's with the surgery bit? In almost every discussion of his voice this misinformation is stated. Didn't he explain in U2byU2 that in the end he didn't have to do surgery?

And U2387, there is no way in hell WOWY best during the Vertigo tour. Imo it was probably the worst song of the entire tour :tsk: I'll tell you what was good tho: Streets. Album tuning ftw. :up:

I don't think Bono had "surgery". He had something like a biopsy, though, due to the problems with his vocal cords in the late 90s. That's where they discovered his allergies. I'm not a medical expert, so I have no idea if there is any form of surgery that can improve a singer's voice or what it can generally do to the voice. Would be interesting to hear more about that, though.

Back
Top Bottom