Does U2 Have Any Gas Left In Their Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not beleive that u2 is in for the money or for record sales.Bono has said in the last few years that it isn't about that anymore for them!I did not say that it never was about that for them,but I don't think it has ever been the only thing that mattered to them! Your post was about the new greatest hits record and excpectations for sales not how the band may have felt twenty years ago!

Re: Well...

jick said:

Yes they do care. If they couldn't sell records it will be a big putdown to Bono's massive ego and I am sure he can't take it. That is also why the reasons athletes retire. Surely many athletes would make good subs or role players but they would rather retire when they still get playing time and exposure even though they're not exactly at the top of their game. U2 aren't at the top of their game now anyway.

First of all, while I'll admit they're not the best they ever were, I'd say U2 is pretty damn close to the top of they're game right now. Did you see them on the Elevation tour? That was not the sound of a band off it's game. Secondly, I think you're assuming things about Bono that you don't really know. I think we'll all readily admit (as would he) that he does have a sizeable ego. But as he put it in the Much Music interview last year: "We have a giant ego, but it's one that we all share." Of course it would be disappointing for them not to sell as much as they wanted (as I will readily admit happened with POP) but that doesn't mean they're going to give up and stop making music. I think they'll make music as long as they've got something to say and at this point, I think they've got plenty more to tell us.

But back to the point of your original post. I don't see this best of selling any less well than the last best of. The people who buy best ofs, that is, casal fans, will still be attracted to this because it's an easy way to become acquainted with U2's music without shelling out $50 for all the albums. That audience is still there, as is the rabid fan base that will buy most any official U2 release. In fact, I'd argue that after the huge success of ATYCLB, this fan base is even larger than it was when the 1980-1990 best of was released post-POP. Also, this best of has *two* completely new songs, where the last best of had none, one of which (Electrical Storm) I think has good potential as a single. So I'd be pretty surprised if this best of sold as poorly as you think it's going to.

Lastly, it doesn't really make sense to me why you would assume that U2 is on it's way out after a hugely successful album and tour. They're on top right now and I think they plan on staying there.

u2sangel said:
I do not beleive that u2 is in for the money or for record sales.Bono has said in the last few years that it isn't about that anymore for them!I did not say that it never was about that for them,but I don't think it has ever been the only thing that mattered to them! Your post was about the new greatest hits record and excpectations for sales not how the band may have felt twenty years ago!

:up: If they were in it for the money, they probably wouldn't mind making some crap-ass bubblegum pop album. But Bono has said that he would throw in the towel the minute they start making "crap music." Sure, they enjoy bringing in tons of money for what they do, but who wouldn't?

"Um...no, thanks. I think I'll just live in this shack and give all my money away!"

As for the commercial part: it is what they do for a living and of course money is an important part of music business.

BUT throughout their career IMO it has been more about artistic expression and creativity rather than making money for the sake of it. Just look at the 90's albums and the Passengers - clearly these were made to please U2 in the first place. If it was about the money they could have stopped right after JT or AB, or they could have called it quits after Pop since it was commercially worse than previous two albums.

Re: Re: This is where I strongly disagree

doctorwho said:

Hmmm... I don't agree here. It's very arguable that U2 made AB, "Zooropa" and "Pop" for themselves, not their fans. The fans wanted JT Part 2, instead U2 came with AB. Then, once AB was a huge hit, fans wanted AB Part 2, but U2 came with "Zooropa". In other words, I feel that the entire 90's were spent with U2 satisfying their own artistic ambitions.

I do not doubt that U2 did those records to satisfy their artistic ambitions, but I also have no doubt that, while they didn't necessarily try to please their older fans, they sure as hell hoped to attract some new, younger audiences who'd be seduced by their cool 90s image. I mean, the very idea of planning a show like POPMart is that you also plan on millions of people buying your record and coming to the show. I just don't think that, after going through the trouble of putting up POPMart, they didn't care if they played to a quarter or half-full stadiums.

I don't think the Best of 1990-2000 will sell as well as the previous Best of collection. It will probably sell amongst the hardcore fans out of curiousity for the remixes, and just because they (we) want to have every single thing U2 releases. But it will not be as attractive to the casual fans because many of the songs included are not so popular.

However, I do think that U2 still has a couple of very good albums left to make. I for one, don't expect them to make a 360 degree turn on the next album as they have done in the past. And the reason for this is that as they have said in the past, they don't "plan" the next step out of a desire to shock or surprise the audience. It's the natural evolution of the band what has taken them on all of the different twists and turns they have gone through. But they somehow seemed pretty comfortable and "there" with ATYCLB. I do think what U2 will come up with in the future will not be be very far from that. I'm not saying that's what I would like, but that's what I sincerely think will happen. However, there were some great moments on ATYCLB and I hope that's the direction they will be moving towards in the future. I wouldn't mind if they made AB part II, but I don't think they would make it if I asked them to:wink:

Last edited:
U2girl said:
As for the commercial part: it is what they do for a living and of course money is an important part of music business.

BUT throughout their career IMO it has been more about artistic expression and creativity rather than making money for the sake of it. Just look at the 90's albums and the Passengers - clearly these were made to please U2 in the first place.

:yes: Very well said. Of course U2 are in it for the money. If they weren't they wouldn't charge $130.00 for a ticket...or whatever amout it was. If they didn't care about sales, they probably wouldn't have plugged the hell out of ATYCLB like they did. Their sales slipped with POP, and they wanted to get back to the level they were once accustomed to, and it worked.

I'm sure making great music is will always be the most important thing to them as a band, and they did push their audience artistically with POP, but, IMO, they probably won't ever get that experimental again, unless they make another Passengers record :up: or perhaps on some B-sides. U2 likes to sell records. I believe they like being a big band. At this point in their career, I think they weigh both the artistic and commercial, and walk a fine line between the two.

wertsie said:

:lol: I can see it now...THE LEMONMOBILE!!!
Yup! They travel everywhere in em, cos Ireland is pretty small ya know? They've been doing this for years, afterall, they have all those really impressive tribute bands doing their tours and stuff outside Ireland, I guess you guys had to be told sooner or later;)

Back
Top Bottom