Does U2 ever just extend some songs, or jam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScooterXX7

The Fly
When I was saw U2 live, it was incredible. Don't get me wrong, greatest concert ever. But Edge plays many of the solos the same and doesn't improv em. I've seen bands like Pearl Jam extend some songs, such as Alive, and extend the solo for an extra 2 or 3 minutes. Does U2 ever do with any songs? The Live Aid version of Bad goes on for 10 minutes, but thats because Bono hopped around unexpectedly.

Never. Here and there an extended solo and that's it.

Not really; they're not really a jam band. I think a large part of it is due to the style of guitarist that Edge is. He can do the jam-band, bluesy, or even cock-rock thing---he did it with Pearl Jam on the first Keep On Rockin' In The Free World performance, as well as on a boot now and then---but he doesn't like that style too much. Although, with his recent work with New Orleans and the chance that we may see some of that influence on the next album, there may possibly be a medium for it on the next tour. But that includes a lot of "maybe"s, and I doubt it.

All hail the mighty click track.
Jamming is so old man rock :tsk:

All sarcasm aside, there's a ZooTV era quote from Willie Williams somewhere - to paraphrase...."If something at a U2 show seems spontaneous, it's been carefully rehearsed and we've done our job correctly."

Last edited:
I think what's great about U2 is that they nail down the live versions very well. However, they have done extended versions of songs...just not improv. Mysterious Ways on ZooTV and Kite on Vertigo come to mind. If they wanted to, they could.

Kite could be a example from the latest tour.

I suppose until the end of the world where at the end edge just ripps it up a bit.

U2Man said:

arent you a pearl jam fan?

Yes, and sometimes they drag on songs too long. Don't get me wrong I would much rather hear PJ extend a song rather than U2, but still, sometimes it's too much.

These examples of extended songs are not jams by any means, they were rehearsed extended.

The only thing that comes to mind is the Philly show, People Get Ready, with Springsteen. Huge jam session there.

They've extended songs before, if by definition it is just adding parts to the live version.

Where the Streets Have No Name - "Love, love, love" part
The Fly - ending on Elevation and Vertigo, beginning on Elevation
Until the End of the World - all live performances, outro solo
Mysterious Ways - all live performances have some extension, ZooTV largest, with start and finish extended
Love is Blindness - Extended Edge solo
One - "Do you hear me coming Lord?" part
With or Without You - Shine Like Stars
Kite - Vertigo Tour, second solo
Electric Co. - The Cry
Sunday Bloody Sunday - "No More" section, added chorus on end
Desire - ZooTV, Mirrorball Man speech
Staring at the Sun - In Vegas once they played this extended opening where they played the first half of the song at really slow tempo and then started over normally again ... oh wait, maybe that wasn't on purpose...

I know that's not everything, but that's a lot of examples of live extensions. Almost everytime it's for the better.

I remember Edge saying somewhere that he was crap at improvising. He seems like too meticulous a person to just wail and see what comes out. And judging from some of the Salome outtakes, the man can hit some serious clams when he's mucking about.

I like the Broadway comment.

ahittle said:
I remember Edge saying somewhere that he was crap at improvising. He seems like too meticulous a person to just wail and see what comes out. And judging from some of the Salome outtakes, the man can hit some serious clams when he's mucking about.

Edge seems like he's probably really spontaneous at the start of the writing and recording process, but much less so once they get around to performing. Once he perfects the way he wants a song to sound, he wants to try to give crowds the same quality night after night rather than changing things up. That makes sense--he seems like a bit of a perfectionist, so he'd probably get pissed off if he tried something new that didn't work well.

He and Dallas have to be on the same wavelength for the entire show, and I remember seeing an interview with Dallas where he says that he always panics when Edge starts to improvise, because he has to figure out whether it's a problem or Edge just having fun, and either way, he has to figure out how to keep up with whatever Edge is doing.

Bad is the only one that comes to mind though, and it feels longer due to the snippets.

Well, I guess extending em aint for everyone. Pearl Jam just pulls it off well. I love my 8 minute "Porch"es. :wink:

dietcokeofevil said:
I think Larry would blow chunks behind the drumset if they tried to get spontaneous.

mmm hmmm.

u2 are not a jam band, their music and songs don't fit long solos and jams.

i'm a huge zeppelin fan, they jam. u2 don't. their both awesome at what they do best.

Don't forget about the Lovetown version of Desire, sporadically played and featuring Edge indulging in some uncharacteristically rare shredding. Or, the shortened and completely rearranged live version of Hawkmoon 269.

ahittle said:

I like the Broadway comment.

Actually I think Edge (whom I admire far more than, say, improv guitarists like Mike McCready or Eric Clapton) is crap at improvising - in the conventional sense. If you listen to his performance with Wyclef in Dublin in '02, for instance, what Wyclef describes beforehand as "some improvisation" - and which may have been rehearsed, for all I know - is nothing at all interesting. Lovely, yes; but nothing of even slight musical interest.
Although I do wish U2 were a bit more spontaneous at times, it's important to keep in mind why they do what they do. Edge perfects every guitar part in every song. Bono pointed this out at the Brisbane concert - he said, after the NYD solo, which has been played exactly the same way for 24 years, "Edge says he can't improve on that solo, that it's perfect. What do you think?" As exhilarating as it is to hear, say, McCready do something new on Alive every night, I always reflect on the fact that McCready's one-off solos are artistically inferior to Edge's by-rote solos, in terms of their exact perfection of expression. PJ also play a fair number of songs the same way every night, and they do that because in those cases, the original version is too perfect to be messed with.
Also, remember that what many rock groups think of as "improvisation" is not really improvisation at all, but subtle variations on the same themes. Even now, fifteen years after Pearl Jam's debut album was recorded, you could make a chart showing the fundamental similarities between the studio solos in Alive or Evenflow and the newest live solos. The same fundamental principle is true of Zeppelin, the Dead - any great jam band. Only jazz guitarists truly improvise. This is not a criticism of rock bands, just an attempt to put their technique in perspective.
PJ rocks my world and moves my soul. But I prefer U2, and I see improv, in rock and roll, as only a small part of what makes a band great.

Last Night on Earth had a great end jam as well.

Bullet the Blue Sky is much longer live than its album incarnation.

And, while not a jam technically, Running to Stand Still was completely re-arranged on the Zoo TV tour from its album version as well.

Trying to Throw was also a nice, loose jam moment on the Zoo tour.

I think overall U2 does a pretty good job of reinventing its songs in a live context. It's just that we've been hearing some of these jams for a long while...but U2 is less-concerned with pleasing long-term fans than they are with wooing new ones (who haven't heard the live version of Bullet for the umpteenth time).

Last edited:
LNOE, BTBS, RTSS-ZooTV, and TTTYAATW were not jams live. They were that way every night. They were extensions added for those versions of the song.

It should be noted that the Desire solo live from Sydney on the Lovetown Tour was a jam, so Edge can do it when need be.

Back
Top Bottom