Does U2 ever just extend some songs, or jam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember reading the reason Edge got mad at Larry on the Boston Elevation DVD because Edge wanted to jam out on Gone for a bit, but Larry ended the song.

Edge took some liberties on some of the Vertigo BTBS solos, I have a couple boots and the solos are varied... they seemed to get more spontaneous as the tour continued.

It would be neat if U2 decided to become a jam band, constantly tour, wear tie-dye and have an ice cream flavor named after them.

"New York" and "The Fly" on The Elevation Tour were heavily extended. As was "Gone."

And "Mysterious Ways" has been blow out since the first live performance.

U2jer said:
I remember reading the reason Edge got mad at Larry on the Boston Elevation DVD because Edge wanted to jam out on Gone for a bit, but Larry ended the song.

I thought Edge said he got pissed off because he thought they had just butchered the song?

I wouldnt want U2 to be a jam band. I dont go to a U2 show to see them jam. Thats what artists like DMB and Pearl Jam are for and what they are good at.

U2 do jam ALOT. Its typically how they come up with new material during soundcheck.

They were "jamming" at the Vegas Popmart(ie: Guessing on arrangements they hadn't perfected)

Bono has added songs in th epast that I don't think were ever rehearsed like Dancing Queen or When I Look at The World or if they pull up a fan to play acoustic that throws them a curveball.

Sometimes Edge has to fill the void if Bono rants too long or runs in the audience like at Live Aid.

u2fp

songs iv heard extended

bad-most live performances has an extended solo in the middle and an extra at the end
WOWY-some sort of snippet like Love will tear us apart or shine like stars at the end, Lovetown and zootv had some good solos in the middle
RTSS-Zootv, extended ending
Walk on-elevation-extended ending with drum build up and hallaleulyah (however you spell it)
the fly-elevation mostly
Mysterious ways-all live versions
Elevation-elevation tour
one-some sort of snippet on the end
pride-upto vertigo mostly added another chorus on after letting the crowd sing
streets- Love love love bit
SBS-added chorus
UTEOTW-extended ending
Kite-vertigo everyone knows about cos it rocks
and mostly ones mentioned above

The variations and beautiful leadins (mentioned in these posts)are what makes U2 so exciting to see(besides the eye candy factor) and hear. We don't need long jams, cause there's so many songs to be heard, and- I don't know if Bono could keep quiet for an 8+ minute jam. What they do with Kite, Streets, AIWIY into Streets, WOWY, adding snippets, other songs, etc is their thing and they should continue to do that even more. I think the short changes and additions, altho a tease are what makes you hang on and listen so intently EACH time they play. Acoustics are cool,too... just my opinion

Back
Top Bottom