Does this guy know what he's talking about...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by MSU2mike:
The ole "Everything they play sounds the same" is the mantra of everyone who doesn't like a band, doesn't have any reason not too except that the group is more popular than their favorite band, and has heard about two songs that sound similar in nature.

No one who has listened to a good portion of U2's catalog could come to that conclusion. They may not like U2, but it would be for other reasons. That's fine, but it ticks me off when people just make stuff up.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not a big fan of Metallica either, but have they really progressed artistically? Why? Because they play a little slower now & did a gig with a symphony orchestra? What a stretch...

Play this guy Zoo Station/I Fall Down/Do You Feel Loved/Angel Of Harlem/Numb/Running To Stand Still-in that order...does that sound like the same record or style? I think there is a little more diversity than Metallica.

Although I am not a huge fan of Metallica, they're an example of a band that progressed artistically, changed with the times, and still maintained a fan base.

cough cough choke......i think u2 have progressed artistically they havent maintained a fan base their fan base just grows and grows and grows...dont think metallicas is
biggrin.gif

Uhhhhmmmmm... the guy was wrong on U2 but what's the deal with the bashing of Metallica? They've tried to go beyond their art like U2. No need for comparison bashing. People who do it are no better than those who bash U2 IMO. And yes... they've tried to experiment.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

ahhh Metallica. What happened to their fan base when they started leading the charge against file-sharing?

Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
Uhhhhmmmmm... the guy was wrong on U2 but what's the deal with the bashing of Metallica? They've tried to go beyond their art like U2. No need for comparison bashing. People who do it are no better than those who bash U2 IMO. And yes... they've tried to experiment.

I'm not bashing Metallica. There is no question they are huge, I just think that to compare there artistic growth to U2's is misguided. It's just my opinion. I don't really care who bashes U2 either. Howard Stern was bashing them this morning, but I still like him.

From another forum, where U2 was being discussed. This guy obviously doesn't listen to too much U2.

"This is quite a subjective thread, but I agree that U2 is very over-rated. While they have many fabulous singles, they have not grown much as a band. Nearly all their songs can be interchanged; the 80's songs sound like the 90's songs sound like today's songs. Dave Matthew Band falls into this category as well.

When they did branch out a bit, with "Pop," critics attacked and they immediately retreated back to their old sound.

Although I am not a huge fan of Metallica, they're an example of a band that progressed artistically, changed with the times, and still maintained a fan base.

That being said, here are my picks for best groups of the 80's and 90's. Each one can be noted as a band that has grown artistically. Some are traditional rock, some are not.

Pet Shop Boys
Depeche Mode
Smashing Pumpkins
R.E.M. (although their current material is a bit too laid back for me)

P.S. Bono's big head (the most swelled in the business) has increasingly grated on my nerves over the years as well. That being said, The Edge rules!"

What an idiot. Really, are you really at liberty to badmouth such a huge band like that if you have only heard their singles? I'm sorry, but Wire doesn't sound like One, Elevation doesn't sound like Gone, Out of Control doesn't sound like Some Days Are Better Than Others.. etc. I don't get it. Why do people say this crap?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

The ole "Everything they play sounds the same" is the mantra of everyone who doesn't like a band, doesn't have any reason not too except that the group is more popular than their favorite band, and has heard about two songs that sound similar in nature.

No one who has listened to a good portion of U2's catalog could come to that conclusion. They may not like U2, but it would be for other reasons. That's fine, but it ticks me off when people just make stuff up.

Back
Top Bottom