Does posting at a U2 forum increase your interest in the band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say it's the complete opposite from what I've seen. Not speaking of myself, but of observing people over the last 5-6 years I've been here. People come here because they like the band, yes, and we all have that in common. But over time I have seen people who were very interested in talking about the music, and being on PLEBA all the time, fade away and end up almost exclusively in the off topic threads. A lot of people who used to be active in talking about the band are either burned out or lost interest or something, because many of them don't discuss them anymore. They come here to jerk around with their friends. But they are friends they met here, through the band.

maybe in some areas but i know a lot more about U2 since posting on here and i know where to find interesting news on U2

I post here because I'm interested in and love the band.

I'm not so sure I'm interested in or love the band because I post here.

So, I think "no" would be my answer to your question.

My interest in band isn't increased or decreased by attending this forum, I attend this site to share my opinions of the band, and because It's a great source of information about band

Posting on Just the Bang and the Clatter definitely increased my interest in other bands!

It increased interest in certain aspects of the band for me. IE live mp3s and dvds and things like that.

I think it's common for people who use a forum and become a regular user to not specifically post in a forum dedicated to the sole discussion of U2 because honestly, how much can you talk about the band? Especially when they're not touring or doing anything.

I'm intersted in the band (i.e. posting in here and Where The Album Has No Name) when there's actually something going on with the band (genuine new album hype, post-album release excitment/analysis, and then big time right before/during the tour).

Otherwise, like now, I spend most of my time in B&C, and listening to other music.

It's actually increased my interest in other bands and leveled off my U2 interest.

Mainly because I know there's other stuff out there beyond the Bono, you know?

I always tried to get into the chat room... at first I couldn't get it to work, and now it seems there's never anyone in there... :shrug:

When I was first becoming a U2 fan, this forum was an awesome place to be, and I think it really did increase my appreciation for U2's music, as well as introducing me to a lot of other music that I love now. I spent a lot of time in Musical Journey and Dream Out Loud.
I don't think I was ever very interested in discussing the band's non-musical exploits in much detail - business, politics, personal lives etc.

Now I guess I'm older and more cynical, I think there's less and less reason for me to spout my opinion... I mean, who really cares?
There are many awesome posts on Interference, but lots that aren't. Such is the way of the internet. :wink:

I think by now my interest is about the same as when I started going to this forum

when I first went here my interest in U2 increased significantly
it was so nice talking to people who felt about the band the same as I do

the last couple of years this forum has become more about bitching about the band because people found other bands they like as much or more than U2 (it probably also helps that these people where ever only fans of one stage in the band's career anyway)
and as a result of the increase of my dislike of U2 fans, my interest in U2 has decreased again

so I still like the band yes

Salome said:
I think by now my interest is about the same as when I started going to this forum

when I first went here my interest in U2 increased significantly
it was so nice talking to people who felt about the band the same as I do

the last couple of years this forum has become more about bitching about the band because people found other bands they like as much or more than U2 (it probably also helps that these people where ever only fans of one stage in the band's career anyway)
and as a result of the increase of my dislike of U2 fans, my interest in U2 has decreased again

I feel kind of the same. Of course I don't have as much interest in U2 right now because they're not really doing anything, but it seems like half the people on this site do nothing but complain about U2... if you don't like them anymore, go somewhere else, geez

there are a lot of cool people here though, so of course I continue to post. and when it's actually new album/tour time, then yes, this board increases my interest in the band, what with the beach clips and setlist parties and that sort of thing

Hrmm. Having thought about it maybe if this forum existed in 1992 it might have someway affected my interest in the band.

But really my interest in the band really formed in 92 and 93 when I was the only U2 fan among my friends and I simply purchased all their albums up until Achtung Baby and purchased books and Rattle and Hum and anything else I could get my hands on at the time.

But like I said earlier when I posted, my interest isn't affected by my involvement in this message board. My interest in the band is more or less affected by what they put out as a band.

I think that the increasing bitching about 00's/Present/Recent U2 didn't decrease my interest in U2, it only helped me to see things in a less narrow minded way and to accept U2 just as they are (with all their bad stuff).
On the other hand, that spirit in the forum and the unfair and - sometimes - exagerated opinions about this subject decreased my interest in the forum itself and made me less frequent visitor/poster.

Posting here hasn't changed my opinion about U2.

People's bitching and whining puts me off posting in the U2 related forums as much, it gets really boring, especially when a new album is released.

When I first got into U2 in the late 2000 this forum definitely fired up my interest in the band to an even greater extent than before. It was so great to mingle with fellow fans; I rarely get a chance to thoroughly discuss U2 in real life.

I still love U2, they're still my favourite band bar none but I'm mostly hanging around the off-topic forums these days. Simply because there's been little happening in the U2 camp and I don't feel like discussing older stuff and topics because it's been covered over and over and over. Besides, I'm just past that stage where I feel that I must fervently defend my favourite albums or eras or whatever against other people's negative opinions - for U2 or any other artist.

I agree with most of the above posts. I also don't get much chance to talk about U2 to my RL friends (my housemates caught me watching the 1987 Grammy's speech on You Tube and laughed at me :reject: ), so I like Interference for the chance to do that with online people.
I am very tired of reading the same themes being regurgitated here (mostly EYKIW) and chewed on to death and beyond. Which is why I spend more time in other forums. :D But that doesn't affect how I feel about U2 at all, or even fans in general. I know that the vast majority of U2 fans don't care about the minutae that get dissected here regularly.
I also don't want to know anything about the new album until I can buy it. Call me insane, but I think expectations (or even hopes) about something will generally lead to disappointment. My own experience leading up to and after ATYCLB's release taught me that. I had little to very low expectations about HTDAAB before I finally heard it, and that led to a pleasant surprise.
:shrug:

I agree with most of the previous posts. The difference is that I can talk a lot about U2 with my friends. In fact one of my best friends is a great U2 fan just like me, she just doesn't post here because she's too lazy:wink: Apart from her I have other friends who like them but have just one or two albums (Best Of's) but that's ok... Then I have the ones who don't like them, wich is getting more and more common each day... But we have other bands that we love in common and in fact I like to discuss music with everybody!
I don't post in EYKIW that often because I feel that there's nothing to talk about right now... The band is working on the album and everybody is waiting... Sometimes there are interesting topics but most of them don't catch my attention. That doesn't mean my interest in the band is changing! Not at all...

Salome said:

Same here. When I hear a U2 song I realize how much I still love the music-but this place and a few bad experiences at concerts have soured me completely on many things that surround U2. Being perfectly honest I had a much higher opinion of U2 fans years ago before the internet. And I just enjoyed the music in a much more pure and innocent way.

annie_vox said:
The difference is that I can talk a lot about U2 with my friends. In fact one of my best friends is a great U2 fan just like me, she just doesn't post here because she's too lazy:wink: Apart from her I have other friends who like them but have just one or two albums (Best Of's) but that's ok... Then I have the ones who don't like them, wich is getting more and more common each day... But we have other bands that we love in common and in fact I like to discuss music with everybody!

I rarely talk about U2 or music with anyone. I live with a big U2 and music fan, go to a lot of concerts, have plenty of music but never really talk much about it. :shrug:

My liking of U2 hasn't really diminished or increased at all since I joined here in early 2002.

The board has helped get me more excited during the tour b/c so many generous fans helped me with getting tickets, a place to crash, and some rides. I doubt we would have considered a honeymoon in Hawaii if we hadn't met so many great people that were also going and willing to help with certain aspects of the trip, even things having nothing to do with U2. We have no regrets.

FullonEdge2 said:
I post here because I'm interested in and love the band.

I'm not so sure I'm interested in or love the band because I post here.

So, I think "no" would be my answer to your question.

Ditto

Back
Top Bottom