Does Larry care about anything besides himself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seconds

The Fly
Is anyone else bothered by Larry's recent comments. In the MSN chat he said that fans that follow their idols are a bunch of idiots with no life(bono had to step in and defend the fans).

And he's also constantly mentioning how Bono's campaign For Africa is interfering with the groups chemestry.

So basically group chemistry is more important than the survival of millions of people.

And he doesn't mind my time and money when it comes to going to concerts and buying and listen to his CDs and DVDs.
But if I follow him to try and get a photograph that makes me a loser with no life.

I'm I the only one who's starting to get a bit annoyed with Larry? Is he becoming one of those bitter old men who always wants to be alone?

Seconds said:
hmmm... I have a hunch you two are huge Larry fans.

and i have a hunch that your ******* idiot if you really believe hes helping millions and millions of people. sure he might be helping, but not that many, and the whole effort is not simply his alone.

i agree with larry. bono has become a bullshiter and avoids controversy like the plague these days. its all apart of his new image.

larry is a good man!

Seconds said:
hmmm... I have a hunch you two are huge Larry fans.

I was merely using a Larry quote to sum up how he feels on things.

Check out my name...guess who I am a REALLY huge fan of. ;) :D

Although what Bono is doing is wonderful, I certain understand why Larry has become agitated with him...

I'm sure Larry has some valid points, making them public for the world to see and analyze is not necessarily the nicest or most professional way to do it. He should leave personal matters to being just that - personal.

Seconds said:

And he's also constantly mentioning how Bono's campaign For Africa is interfering with the groups chemestry.

So basically group chemistry is more important than the survival of millions of people.

Could you please show me some interviews/articles where Larry says that? I'm not trying to be sarcastic -- I really do want to know.

~LadyLemon~ said:
Although what Bono is doing is wonderful, I certain understand why Larry has become agitated with him...

:yes:

Bono's put the one thing that used to be the most important in his life on the backburner and that's sure to cause some hard feelings with his bandmates, no matter what the cause is.

Honestly, if I were Larry (and I know I cannot speak for him since I don't know him) I'd be ticked off as well.

Re: Re: Does Larry care about anything besides himself?

elevatedmole said:

Could you please show me some interviews/articles where Larry says that? I'm not trying to be sarcastic -- I really do want to know.

he said that on the 60 min interview. :yes: Larry is kind of being grumpy about this. we're al entitled to our opinions on Bono..although the correct opinion is Bono is a saint..lol. I really always hated that larry would ever insult people who idolize him..yo it's fame sexy man, deal, ok?? I wouldnt want to be follwed by psychos..but u2 fans are great people so i dont know what his problem is.

Re: Re: Re: Does Larry care about anything besides himself?

AdamsMango said:

he said that on the 60 min interview. :yes: Larry is kind of being grumpy about this. we're al entitled to our opinions on Bono..although the correct opinion is Bono is a saint..lol. I really always hated that larry would ever insult people who idolize him..yo it's fame sexy man, deal, ok?? I wouldnt want to be follwed by psychos..but u2 fans are great people so i dont know what his problem is.

I'll give Larry the benefit of the doubt on the fan comment and assume that he's talking about stalkers - of which, U2 unfortunately have many.

I don't use the term stalker lightly. We have seen comments like that even here on Interference. People stalk these poor men at their homes, climb their fences, sit outside their studio until all hours. Musicians treasure the little personal and private time they have, and so yes, he does have a right to discourage stalkers - which I feel that is who is comment is/was directed at.

<shrug> Whatever Larry's opinions might be, I don't see the need to take them oh so personally, so I'm really not bothered.

And as far as I remember, Larry was asked very directly on 60 Minutes whether Bono's absence has any effect on the band, so it's not like he came out with these comments all by himself out of a blue.

Larry does not like the glamorization of Rock n' Roll. He in general hates to sign autographs. They were in my town for a week practicing for Outside Broadcast ZOO TV. All the bandmembers except Larry signed autographs every day, afternoon and evening. Larry did stop once in the evening to sign autographs and I was lucky enough to be there when he did. We had to stand in a single file line and he came down the line to each of us. He did not look thrilled but I thank him for taking the time to sign. I remind you this was back in August of 1992 when Larry was 30. Its his choice really though. After you have signed about a thousand autographs, many people get tired of it, and I'm sure he has long ago. He probably got really annoyed by it during the Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree years and has since tried to avoid the die hard fans searching for the band.

I think the work Bono has done is great. He studies the issues and does what he thinks is best and doesn't follow someones strange doctrine on who you can or cannot comunicate and work with. He certainly does not avoid controversy, especially when you look at the comments from some liberals.

STING2 said:
He certainly does not avoid controversy, especially when you look at the comments from some liberals.

Not sure what that means, but I'll just move on...

I think there probably is a bit of resentment in the band over the fact that Bono clearly is treating U2 like the second-most important thing to him. He has always been an equal part of the band, and has always put his work with charitable groups outside of his work with the band. That all seems to be changing now. It sounds a bit like the band wants to get back into the studio, but with Bono always gone, they can't really get much done. Clearly things are becoming different within U2, and as a result I think we are approaching what Larry predicted in the VH1 Legends program, with the band recording and touring less. If we're lucky, we might see a new album in the fall, and that would be 3 years between albums again. Also the Elevation Tour, great as it was, lasted a relatively short amount of time, and didn't visit a lot of the places that U2 had been to on previous tours.

If U2 wants to continue, they need to have all four of them. At this point, it just can't be done any other way.

Well, I'm sure that all members have some interests outside of the band. Bono's stand out because his work is often of a very public nature and naturally gets a lot more exposure, so we know when he's away from the band. But we can't really tell with any of the others how high of a priority the band work is for them at any taken moment.

Last edited:
Seconds said:
And he doesn't mind my time and money when it comes to going to concerts and buying and listen to his CDs and DVDs.
But if I follow him to try and get a photograph that makes me a loser with no life.

Those are two completely different things. Meeting him at a concert or meet and greet is vastly different from sitting and waiting everyday waiting for a glimpse of him. Yes, at a concert he knows he's going to meet fans and does his best to oblige them. However, it's different when he's on his "own time" and being approached by fans. I know I certainly wouldn't want to have someone trailing me with camera in hand when going about my daily business.

I think that the whole "Well you're famous, so deal with it," is a load of garbage. Fame doesn't necessarily imply that your life now belongs to everyone on the planet (to some it does, but that's a different story). The man has a life outside of being in U2, let him live it, it's really none of our business.

As for his opinion of Bono's charity work getting in the way of the band work, I have a feeling that these issues have been discussed within the band. They have not stayed friends and bandmates for over 20 years by keeping thier opinions to themselves. I honestly don't think that Larry's opinions are out of the blue and shocking in Bono's eyes.

Foxxern said:

I think there probably is a bit of resentment in the band over the fact that Bono clearly is treating U2 like the second-most important thing to him. He has always been an equal part of the band, and has always put his work with charitable groups outside of his work with the band. That all seems to be changing now. It sounds a bit like the band wants to get back into the studio, but with Bono always gone, they can't really get much done.

Last year in an interview with Q magazine Larry also addressed the issue. He more or less said what Foxxern was writing down. Larry acknowledged that the whole Drop The Debt/Aids In Africa issue Bono is doing now is maybe the most important thing he's doing at the moment. But it was sometimes interfering with the band's work. Larry then said something like "If it was so important to me I'd take a whole year off and do it properly."

And this is a big point, I think. He doesn't mind Bono doing all that charity work. But when the focus has to be on the band and when the band has commitment, then Bono should put his efforts in the band. And this could have clashed when they did the Elevation Tour and Bono was flying up and down to Capitol Hill. I think Larry would have no problem when Bono would say: "This year I want to have the band to take a rest so I can go on with my charity work." Then it would be clear where Bono's priorities lie for that year. But constantly working with the band, then going off for a few days, returning to play, going off, etc. maybe gets a bit on his nerves.

Anyway, that's my theory. And what do I know?

C ya!

Marty

Larry in many ways is the head of this band- the drums keep the music together on stage and I think it'd be fair to say he's the most focused member of the band in terms of what the band is for (making music) and what to do on tour (perform, but only on stage). Therefore it's no surprise to me his desires for the band to be together and be working outweighs his desires for his bandmates to be doing other things. I wouldn't want it any other way- if all of them were all about doing charity work or whatever, then there would be no U2.

Larry is a vital part of the band, and deserves the right to his opinions the same way Bono does.

I was gonna say I tink, perhaps me and Larz might be similar on something, but perhaps not.....like Larry could finish up after a concert, walk out, theres a line of 30 or so fans screamin for photos and autographs, and in those split seconds of lookin at them, u make a mental decision 'Do I do it? or not? am I in the mood? no, Im not' - and perhaps walk on quickly to wherever, waving and sayin hi, or if he was in the mood, if he was feelin like bein social.....doin it for the fans, giving autos....etc

I suffer from selfish switch-offs, which mean anyone I know as a colleague or mate, sometimes Im just really not arsed bein even civil to them for that moment........just not arsed with them......I even dont bother ringin my mate cause her voice and the conversation does my head in at times, yet there are times when she rings Im like tinkin in my head, 'Fuk this is annoyin, but I have to sit and have a convo...with her'

Now mums warned me pple wont wanna know.............but I think its just my manner, Ive let it develop more and usually I say 'Fukin dont bother me, Im not gonna bother u' attitude.......

Its the way I am, at present.......................I just choose, and switch on and off from being civil or not.........being humpy or not.......

so I wonder is this with Larry...could be wrong though..........

maybe he is just fed up with it and is shunnin fans but wants to get on with his work.

Larry has only cared about money, since the begining, I wonder why people is surpriced, you can read in books and interviews, he is the one asking how much is this gona cost?, in his eyes if an album sells more than 10 million copies, its a succes, if not is crap.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does Larry care about anything besides himself?

I agree with this with regard to his comment about the fans:

HelloAngel said:

I'll give Larry the benefit of the doubt on the fan comment and assume that he's talking about stalkers - of which, U2 unfortunately have many.

I don't use the term stalker lightly. We have seen comments like that even here on Interference. People stalk these poor men at their homes, climb their fences, sit outside their studio until all hours. Musicians treasure the little personal and private time they have, and so yes, he does have a right to discourage stalkers - which I feel that is who is comment is/was directed at.

and this with regard to his public comments:

Originally posted by daisybean

As for his opinion of Bono's charity work getting in the way of the band work, I have a feeling that these issues have been discussed within the band. They have not stayed friends and bandmates for over 20 years by keeping thier opinions to themselves. I honestly don't think that Larry's opinions are out of the blue and shocking in Bono's eyes.

and this with regard to Bono's work:

Originally posted by Popmartijn

Larry acknowledged that the whole Drop The Debt/Aids In Africa issue Bono is doing now is maybe the most important thing he's doing at the moment. But it was sometimes interfering with the band's work. Larry then said something like "If it was so important to me I'd take a whole year off and do it properly."

And this is a big point, I think. He doesn't mind Bono doing all that charity work. But when the focus has to be on the band and when the band has commitment, then Bono should put his efforts in the band.

And with no disrepect or judgment towards autograph-seekers, I've personally never understood the phenomenon. I think Larry and most celebrities would respond better to fans if fans assumed the position of equality--which, yeah, I know is hard when your heart is pounding and you feel like you might faint from the close proximity to an idol--but it's about self-respect, you know? And self-respect automatically extends to mutual respect.

Last edited:
Newsflash! Larry is human!

It's unfair for Larry to be judged so negatively for being honest and sincere. I greatly admire Bono for all his work on the causes of AIDS and debt cancellation, and I didn't feel offended by Larry's comments on 60 minutes. He was giving a truthful answer to a difficult question he was faced with. I don't think Bono can work on an album or write songs or whatever, while he is meeting with world leaders, or visiting Africa. What was Larry to say? :confused:

Besides, he posted the note. :cute: And I don't think U2 as a band could have stayed together for as long as they have if he wasn't as protective of some of the aspects of the band that perhaps Bono, Adam and Edge don't pay so much attention to, like marketing and that sort of stuff.

:heart: Larry

Zoomerang96 said:

and i have a hunch that your ******* idiot

So I'm a ****** idiot for stating my opinion. Am I the only ****** idiot in these bords? Or is it everybody who you disagree with?

Can't you just reply like everyone else : "I don't agree with your opinion and this is why....."

Maybe you should think about taking some anger management classes.

Re: Re: Does Larry care about anything besides himself?

I agree, Larry's always been an introvert. I'm the same way, I tend to avoid large crowds of screaming insane people whenever possible :wink:

I thought Larry was trying to say he doesn't like fans that are obsessed with HIM. If it's about the music it's another thing.

Sparkysgrrrl said:

I thought he was always that way
:grumpy:
Anything else and I'd be worried. :wink:

Saracene said:
Well, I'm sure that all members have some interests outside of the band. Bono's stand out because his work is often of a very public nature and naturally gets a lot more exposure, so we know when he's away from the band. But we can't really tell with any of the others how high of a priority the band work is for them at any taken moment.
:yes:

we all know the band as a whole has been involved in charity work before. and if you didn't, brush up on your U2 history! :tongue: :wink:

i can see both sides of the argument here. i think larry just thinks that like he was doing before, bono's spending too much time (in his opinion) doing charity work, and not enough working with the band. and i kind of agree.

sure, his lobbying has been a huge success, but he also has a life aside from the charity work. he has U2, and most importantly his family. as it's been said, the elevation tour lasted nowhere near as long as previous tours. it lasted longer than popmart, even though popmart left them more and more in the red with each date, and the album wasn't nearly as successful in sales worldwide! you'd think elevation would've been like the joshua tree tour part two, lasting a couple years (i consider lovetown to be part of it, since they essentially toured non-stop so the legs/tours blurred together).

when he's off in africa lobbying to drop the debt or talking to the president, the rest of the band is at work in the studio and spending time with their families. there's only so much work they can do without the man. after all, he is the lead singer.

however, the charity work is very important and has been very successful. helping out has become very important to him, and he really wants to be able to help out all these poor countries.

and he has been. thanks to his help, along with the help of others, he's lifted a huge load off of many of these countries' shoulders.

really, i just think he should spend less time doing his charity thang, but certainly not stop it altogether.

Back
Top Bottom