Does Larry care about anything besides himself? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2002, 05:50 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 09:37 AM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Seconds
And he doesn't mind my time and money when it comes to going to concerts and buying and listen to his CDs and DVDs.
But if I follow him to try and get a photograph that makes me a loser with no life.

Those are two completely different things. Meeting him at a concert or meet and greet is vastly different from sitting and waiting everyday waiting for a glimpse of him. Yes, at a concert he knows he's going to meet fans and does his best to oblige them. However, it's different when he's on his "own time" and being approached by fans. I know I certainly wouldn't want to have someone trailing me with camera in hand when going about my daily business.

I think that the whole "Well you're famous, so deal with it," is a load of garbage. Fame doesn't necessarily imply that your life now belongs to everyone on the planet (to some it does, but that's a different story). The man has a life outside of being in U2, let him live it, it's really none of our business.

As for his opinion of Bono's charity work getting in the way of the band work, I have a feeling that these issues have been discussed within the band. They have not stayed friends and bandmates for over 20 years by keeping thier opinions to themselves. I honestly don't think that Larry's opinions are out of the blue and shocking in Bono's eyes.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:11 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxxern

I think there probably is a bit of resentment in the band over the fact that Bono clearly is treating U2 like the second-most important thing to him. He has always been an equal part of the band, and has always put his work with charitable groups outside of his work with the band. That all seems to be changing now. It sounds a bit like the band wants to get back into the studio, but with Bono always gone, they can't really get much done.
Last year in an interview with Q magazine Larry also addressed the issue. He more or less said what Foxxern was writing down. Larry acknowledged that the whole Drop The Debt/Aids In Africa issue Bono is doing now is maybe the most important thing he's doing at the moment. But it was sometimes interfering with the band's work. Larry then said something like "If it was so important to me I'd take a whole year off and do it properly."

And this is a big point, I think. He doesn't mind Bono doing all that charity work. But when the focus has to be on the band and when the band has commitment, then Bono should put his efforts in the band. And this could have clashed when they did the Elevation Tour and Bono was flying up and down to Capitol Hill. I think Larry would have no problem when Bono would say: "This year I want to have the band to take a rest so I can go on with my charity work." Then it would be clear where Bono's priorities lie for that year. But constantly working with the band, then going off for a few days, returning to play, going off, etc. maybe gets a bit on his nerves.

Anyway, that's my theory. And what do I know?

C ya!

Marty

Old 12-12-2002, 07:32 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:37 AM

Larry in many ways is the head of this band- the drums keep the music together on stage and I think it'd be fair to say he's the most focused member of the band in terms of what the band is for (making music) and what to do on tour (perform, but only on stage). Therefore it's no surprise to me his desires for the band to be together and be working outweighs his desires for his bandmates to be doing other things. I wouldn't want it any other way- if all of them were all about doing charity work or whatever, then there would be no U2.

Larry is a vital part of the band, and deserves the right to his opinions the same way Bono does.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:47 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 02:37 PM

I was gonna say I tink, perhaps me and Larz might be similar on something, but perhaps not.....like Larry could finish up after a concert, walk out, theres a line of 30 or so fans screamin for photos and autographs, and in those split seconds of lookin at them, u make a mental decision 'Do I do it? or not? am I in the mood? no, Im not' - and perhaps walk on quickly to wherever, waving and sayin hi, or if he was in the mood, if he was feelin like bein social.....doin it for the fans, giving autos....etc

I suffer from selfish switch-offs, which mean anyone I know as a colleague or mate, sometimes Im just really not arsed bein even civil to them for that moment........just not arsed with them......I even dont bother ringin my mate cause her voice and the conversation does my head in at times, yet there are times when she rings Im like tinkin in my head, 'Fuk this is annoyin, but I have to sit and have a convo...with her'

Now mums warned me pple wont wanna know.............but I think its just my manner, Ive let it develop more and usually I say 'Fukin dont bother me, Im not gonna bother u' attitude.......

Its the way I am, at present.......................I just choose, and switch on and off from being civil or not.........being humpy or not.......

so I wonder is this with Larry...could be wrong though..........

maybe he is just fed up with it and is shunnin fans but wants to get on with his work.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:41 AM   #25
Refugee

Larry has only cared about money, since the begining, I wonder why people is surpriced, you can read in books and interviews, he is the one asking how much is this gona cost?, in his eyes if an album sells more than 10 million copies, its a succes, if not is crap.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:52 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Does Larry care about anything besides himself?

I agree with this with regard to his comment about the fans:

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

I'll give Larry the benefit of the doubt on the fan comment and assume that he's talking about stalkers - of which, U2 unfortunately have many.

I don't use the term stalker lightly. We have seen comments like that even here on Interference. People stalk these poor men at their homes, climb their fences, sit outside their studio until all hours. Musicians treasure the little personal and private time they have, and so yes, he does have a right to discourage stalkers - which I feel that is who is comment is/was directed at.

and this with regard to his public comments:

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

As for his opinion of Bono's charity work getting in the way of the band work, I have a feeling that these issues have been discussed within the band. They have not stayed friends and bandmates for over 20 years by keeping thier opinions to themselves. I honestly don't think that Larry's opinions are out of the blue and shocking in Bono's eyes.
and this with regard to Bono's work:

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Larry acknowledged that the whole Drop The Debt/Aids In Africa issue Bono is doing now is maybe the most important thing he's doing at the moment. But it was sometimes interfering with the band's work. Larry then said something like "If it was so important to me I'd take a whole year off and do it properly."

And this is a big point, I think. He doesn't mind Bono doing all that charity work. But when the focus has to be on the band and when the band has commitment, then Bono should put his efforts in the band.
And with no disrepect or judgment towards autograph-seekers, I've personally never understood the phenomenon. I think Larry and most celebrities would respond better to fans if fans assumed the position of equality--which, yeah, I know is hard when your heart is pounding and you feel like you might faint from the close proximity to an idol--but it's about self-respect, you know? And self-respect automatically extends to mutual respect.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:26 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Normal Newsflash! Larry is human!

It's unfair for Larry to be judged so negatively for being honest and sincere. I greatly admire Bono for all his work on the causes of AIDS and debt cancellation, and I didn't feel offended by Larry's comments on 60 minutes. He was giving a truthful answer to a difficult question he was faced with. I don't think Bono can work on an album or write songs or whatever, while he is meeting with world leaders, or visiting Africa. What was Larry to say?

Besides, he posted the note. And I don't think U2 as a band could have stayed together for as long as they have if he wasn't as protective of some of the aspects of the band that perhaps Bono, Adam and Edge don't pay so much attention to, like marketing and that sort of stuff.

Larry
Old 12-12-2002, 03:43 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

and i have a hunch that your ******* idiot
So I'm a ****** idiot for stating my opinion. Am I the only ****** idiot in these bords? Or is it everybody who you disagree with?

Can't you just reply like everyone else : "I don't agree with your opinion and this is why....."

Maybe you should think about taking some anger management classes.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:54 AM   #29
The Fly

Re: Re: Does Larry care about anything besides himself?

I agree, Larry's always been an introvert. I'm the same way, I tend to avoid large crowds of screaming insane people whenever possible

I thought Larry was trying to say he doesn't like fans that are obsessed with HIM. If it's about the music it's another thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkysgrrrl

I thought he was always that way

Anything else and I'd be worried.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:13 PM   #30
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
Well, I'm sure that all members have some interests outside of the band. Bono's stand out because his work is often of a very public nature and naturally gets a lot more exposure, so we know when he's away from the band. But we can't really tell with any of the others how high of a priority the band work is for them at any taken moment.

we all know the band as a whole has been involved in charity work before. and if you didn't, brush up on your U2 history!

i can see both sides of the argument here. i think larry just thinks that like he was doing before, bono's spending too much time (in his opinion) doing charity work, and not enough working with the band. and i kind of agree.

sure, his lobbying has been a huge success, but he also has a life aside from the charity work. he has U2, and most importantly his family. as it's been said, the elevation tour lasted nowhere near as long as previous tours. it lasted longer than popmart, even though popmart left them more and more in the red with each date, and the album wasn't nearly as successful in sales worldwide! you'd think elevation would've been like the joshua tree tour part two, lasting a couple years (i consider lovetown to be part of it, since they essentially toured non-stop so the legs/tours blurred together).

when he's off in africa lobbying to drop the debt or talking to the president, the rest of the band is at work in the studio and spending time with their families. there's only so much work they can do without the man. after all, he is the lead singer.

however, the charity work is very important and has been very successful. helping out has become very important to him, and he really wants to be able to help out all these poor countries.

and he has been. thanks to his help, along with the help of others, he's lifted a huge load off of many of these countries' shoulders.

really, i just think he should spend less time doing his charity thang, but certainly not stop it altogether.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:16 AM   #31
POP for GIRLS

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Seconds

So I'm a ****** idiot for stating my opinion. Am I the only ****** idiot in these bords? Or is it everybody who you disagree with?

Can't you just reply like everyone else : "I don't agree with your opinion and this is why....."

Maybe you should think about taking some anger management classes.
It's everyone who disagrees with him. He is very abusive and unreasonable.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:08 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl

It's everyone who disagrees with him. He is very abusive and unreasonable.
*points and laughs

your quite miserable, id be happy if you stopped following me around everywhere. i dont need another shaddow.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:21 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Normal

stop.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:36 PM   #34
Babyface

Local Time: 08:37 AM

i honestly think that , larry does not like touring any longer and has lost enthusiasm for just about everything except making money. if you really want to piss him off, don't buy any t-shirts at the shows. he owns the concession and the rights. HA! we do have to consider that if it weren't for him, there probably wouldn't BE a U2. ah well...larry, can't live with him, can't live without him.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:49 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:37 PM

I don't see why Bono's outside work is such a big deal all of a sudden - it's not like U2 hasn't been linked to various causes before.

I'd say it didn't affect U2 during after-Pop-before-ATYCLB time when Bono did the Drop the debt and Jubliee thing. Majority of critics and fans agree both last album and tour were a BIG success.

Besides their albums tend to take a long time.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:00 PM   #36
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 10:37 AM

Re: Larry and money, he has always been the most practical of the band members and has been put in charge of the merchandise. He has a head for business and has always insisted that the fans not be ripped off by the quality, price etc. I think he has every right to focus on these things, it's his band and his money! His interest in the business side of things has never eclipsed his love for the music from what I've seen.

Larry was a bit harsh with his comment about the fans, but he has always been a no bullshit sort of guy. He signed an autograph for me (again, along a line after a show) during Popmart, and I couldn't believe it. He was obviously in a good mood, because he let a fan kiss him. I think it just depends on the day. He also signed in Toronto for a group of fans. I think it's actually harder to get an autograph from Adam!

But my real question is.....what's all this about 60 minutes?!?!?!?! What did I miss? When did this happen?????
Old 12-19-2002, 07:07 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't really think it's fair to make assumptions about people. Larry didn't get into U2 to be a huge rock star. He likes to play the DRUMS. There's a very good quote from Bono about that too...something like how when they first started out, they were playing in Larry's house and some girls were trying to peek in and Larry got pissed off and told them to go away.

He's always been a private person, which is understandable. If I were in his position, I'm not sure I would be able to handle the situation as gracefully as someone like Bono.

As for what he said on 60 Minutes...I saw that too, and I wasn't worried about it. I mean, when he said it, he didn't sound like he was pissed off or anything.

Old 12-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Newsflash! Larry is human!

Quote:
Originally posted by flaming june
It's unfair for Larry to be judged so negatively for being honest and sincere. I greatly admire Bono for all his work on the causes of AIDS and debt cancellation, and I didn't feel offended by Larry's comments on 60 minutes. He was giving a truthful answer to a difficult question he was faced with. I don't think Bono can work on an album or write songs or whatever, while he is meeting with world leaders, or visiting Africa. What was Larry to say?

Besides, he posted the note. And I don't think U2 as a band could have stayed together for as long as they have if he wasn't as protective of some of the aspects of the band that perhaps Bono, Adam and Edge don't pay so much attention to, like marketing and that sort of stuff.

Larry
Old 12-20-2002, 07:36 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge

But my real question is.....what's all this about 60 minutes?!?!?!?! What did I miss? When did this happen?????
During the Jubilee campaign, they interviewed Bono and the band. Larry was asked point blank if he thought that Bono's commitment to charity work interfered with the band work. He said of course it did, and used the table leg analogy.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:02 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

During the Jubilee campaign, they interviewed Bono and the band. Larry was asked point blank if he thought that Bono's commitment to charity work interfered with the band work. He said of course it did, and used the table leg analogy.
And I think it's also important to point out (I think somebody else might have mentioned this earlier) that it wasn't as if Larry was spouting off for no apparent reason. It was kind of a leading question, and Larr Bear was just being honest.