Does HTDAAB's production hurt your ears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom

Acrobat
Here I am, listening to HTDAAB after more than a year, and I'm finding it very painful to listen to, physically, not because of the songs themselves, but because of the crass nature of the production. Does anyone else experience this? It just. hurts. my.ears. Think of Eno producing this...

Crumbs from your Table makes my ears bleed. It's not a bad tune, but it's production is complete shit.

I reckon a Rubin produced record could end up LOUD as well. There have been threads here 'scientificaly' demonstrating how noisy the Bomb is.

It's the dynamic range compression (in post-production) that causes this. Initially, it sounds great, but after that it gets more fatiguing to listen to.

Can't say it does. Of course, after a bunch of rock concerts and daily listening under headphones, nothing really does anymore. :|

U2girl said:
ABOY and Crumbs are very loud. Otherwise, no.

All tracks are very loud. The ballads sound just as loud as the huge rockin' tracks. There's no detail, everything is brick-walled to the front.
(for an explanation what exactly is going on I suggest the following article: http://moozeek.de/mirrors/articles/over_the_limit.htm It uses Rush CDs as background (don't worry, you don't have to listen to them :) ), but it also applies to the latest U2 CDs.)

So in a way I'm still a bit undecided about HTDAAB. Because the quality of the songs themselves are in part obscured by the horrible sonics on that record.

I can't listen to HTDAAB any more. So much of it is too loud, too washed out, too poorly mastered. If I have a desire to listen to HTDAAB songs nowadays, I find live performances. Shame there isn't one of One Step Closer, my third favourite track.

yes. the mastering is awful and I don't care for a lot of the production either, way too many bells and whistles. it worked for Pop, but not here.

maybe someday someone will at least remaster HTDAAB :drool:

AtomicBono said:
maybe someday someone will at least remaster HTDAAB :drool:

It's rather sad that HTDAAB has needed a remaster since the day it came out.

Then again, I can't name a single U2 album with mastering that I would consider great.

I think Achtung Baby has great mastering. It's not too loud or over-produced, and I think the sound still holds up fantastically today. It sounds great on every stereo system.

randy5554 said:
I think Achtung Baby has great mastering. It's not too loud or over-produced, and I think the sound still holds up fantastically today. It sounds great on every stereo system.

I completely disagree that it's great. Exhibit A: UTEOTW, especially the last two minutes. Exhibit B: So Cruel in its entirety.

However, as far as just U2 albums go, its mastering is some of the best of the bunch.

elevated_u2_fan said:

:up:

I would like to join you in this world and not give a rats ass if a song is or is not "produced" correctly...

Isn't it great? :happy:

Actually, I would be a hypocritical bastard if I crossed into this dimension of which you speak because I'm always complaining about Achtung's production. :uhoh:

So.....

$5.00 entrance fee? :der:

Back
Top Bottom