Does Bono suffer from Napoleon Complex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
I really shouldn't say suffer, because it can lead to greatness, which it has for Bono, but do you think it's a reason for his success?

In the fields of psychology and psychoanalysis, Napoleon complex (or Napoleon syndrome) is a colloquial term used to describe a type of inferiority complex suffered by people who are short. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives.

Alfred Adler pioneered the psychological work on inferiority complexes, and used Napoléon Bonaparte as an example of someone whom he thought was driven to extremes by a psychological need to compensate for what he saw as a handicap: his small stature.

:yes: yes he definately has a Napoleonic compleX!

check the Bono pictures starting :hmm: this summer.... Bono holds his jacket with his arm the same way Napoleon did...

of course he does, combined with "mom died when you were young complex" which afflicts so many other meglomaniac rock stars.

if you're of average height and come from a stable 2 parent home you have no shot at rock greatness. it's a documented fact, you can look it up.

doesn't Professor Bono admit it in "conversations with bono"? he also admitted somewhere to having a messiac complex

bridonohue said:
of course he does, combined with "mom died when you were young complex" which afflicts so many other meglomaniac rock stars.

if you're of average height and come from a stable 2 parent home you have no shot at rock greatness. it's a documented fact, you can look it up.
:up:

Rock stars = ego, tall or short.

I could see "mother died and my father told me I'd never make it big" pushing him in that direction theory more likely.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
eddie vedder and billie joe armstrong are also in the 5'7"-5'8" range... it's very strange when you see them up close for the first time... these guys who look like huge rock gods up on stage are actually very lil' fellas that you could fit in your pocket.

There is no way Bono is 5'7". I am 5'9" and I towered over him - even with his high heels...

He definitely does but I think most short people do. I know a bunch of them and they all act the same. And they are usually very pissed off people as Bono is and used to be more when he was in his twenties. And I agree to who said that he's got quite a few complexes.

By the way all my life my best friends have usually been short people. It's very weird, it's been like that ever since I was a kid (and it's not because I'm a giant or something - I'm 1m and 80cm) I think there must be some kind of psychological reason for that, I just haven't figured out what it is.

U2Man said:
all short people have a napoleon complex.

Yeah, come to think of it, virtually every dickhead / bitch I've known has been shorter than me (I'm 5'6").

but "short" is a relative term. What's the average height in western Europe? Americans consider "average" something like 5'11. Europeans seems much shorter. Bono might be considered average in Ireland. :shrug:

ruffian said:
but "short" is a relative term. What's the average height in western Europe? Americans consider "average" something like 5'11. Europeans seems much shorter. Bono might be considered average in Ireland. :shrug:

Bono is considered average in Munchkinland

u2thewho said:

Some of you may recall whan Edge went trick-or-treating in the States with his kids, and he went as himself. At some point another trick-or-treater ran up to him and said: "Wow, that's a great Egde costume. You look just like him...but the real Edge is much taller!"
Edge (and all the other U2'ers) are pretty small. Even Clayton is not tall. He's average height...maybe 5' 10" at the very most, and he's the tallest. The others are much smaller. Bono and Larry about 5' 5" to 5' 6", Edge about 5' 8" and Clayton a bit taller.

Does it really matter? No. Except to those of the guys who have always been sensitive about height. (And that's only because there is a ridiculous heirarchy of height, sadly,)

bridonohue said:

Woohoo! Megalomaniac rockstardom, here I come! ;)

I think Bono just suffers from a Bonoplex. Sounds like something you'd build out of LEGO or K'nex.

did ya see the picture the three lead singers took backstage after hawaii?

lollipopguild.jpg

Back
Top Bottom