Does Bono sing with a stuffed up nose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isProgressive

The Fly
I dunno I have to ask this..ever since the 1st time I ever heard U2..think I thought it was some kind of way he wanted the tone of his voice to come across..but from what I recall on alot of the songs I've heard (although its not too many granted..remember I own 0 U2 still) it sounds like he is slightly conjested. And when I noticed a few other vocalists with a similar type clarity to thier voice..I wondered if its on purprose or something. Anyone agree..have insights?

Bono does not have a stuffed up nose!:madspit: This is the wonderful original Bono-ish voice I love! :mad:

Looks again at this thread. *shudders* :no:

My poor Bono-------you don't sound like having a stuffed up nose, love---------really----*pats head*

I think I remember reading somewhere that during the recording of AB, Bono was suffering from flu which may explain your post, and if you listen to AB compared to other U2 albums, this is where I would say he is bunged up but to good affect!

what a bomb! said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that during the recording of AB, Bono was suffering from flu which may explain your post, and if you listen to AB compared to other U2 albums, this is where I would say he is bunged up but to good affect!

Didn't he have a cold when they were making "Boy"? I knew they had problems during the recording of AB but I didn't know anything about the flu......gosh. Anyway, AB is my favorite U2 album. Nothing wrong with that one, flu or no flu!

Ideally, one is supposed to sing "from the gut" (so to speak)...thus when you have a cold or whatever, your voice is not as affected. Generally untrained singers have a tendency to sing "from the nose", which sometimes gives their performance a nasal twang and definitely affects their tone when sick. Bono does sing "through the nose" and thus, your perception is somewhat correct.

I know what you mean though
There are times on Rattle and Hum when his voice goes a little odd for a sec...almost kermit-ish

but its all good!

Angell said:
Ideally, one is supposed to sing "from the gut" (so to speak)...thus when you have a cold or whatever, your voice is not as affected. Generally untrained singers have a tendency to sing "from the nose", which sometimes gives their performance a nasal twang and definitely affects their tone when sick. Bono does sing "through the nose" and thus, your perception is somewhat correct.

How do we know that he sings through his nose? Somehow I doubt this. The reason I say that is: firstly, I sing through my nose, and I sound terribly nasal. I hate it. I was thinking of taking voice lessons to learn how to sing correctly.

It is obvious that Bono has had voice lessons, listen to how differently he sounds on the first few albums compared to Joshua Tree and after. It does not seem logical if Bono had voice lessons to sing correctly that he would still sing through his nose.

:huh:

Actually, I've thought the same thing before, particularly on Zooropa. Listen to the "The First Time"-- to me it sounds like Bono has some serious sinus congestion going on...

oktobergirl said:

It is obvious that Bono has had voice lessons, listen to how differently he sounds on the first few albums compared to Joshua Tree and after. It does not seem logical if Bono had voice lessons to sing correctly that he would still sing through his nose.

:huh:

It would also not seem logical that someone who makes a living from his voice would drink like a fish and smoke like a freight train...yet our beloved Bono does.....

Back
Top Bottom