Does Bono put his money where his mouth is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JCOSTER said:

Bono may not profess to be a Christian but he does say he is a believer.

Well, he has said he is a Christian. Here's just one instance, from Christianity Today:

While in Washington to drum up political support for aid to Africa, U2 singer Bono made a clear confession before about three dozen evangelicals. "He said, 'I'm a believer and I have faith in Christ,' " recalls Richard Cizik, vice president for governmental affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals, who attended the March meeting on Capitol Hill.

And in the In Conversation book he talks a lot about his faith in Christ (not exactly something a non-Christian would say).

Okay, maybe I'd misread something somewhere about him not wanting to actually call himself a Christian.

I may be crazy.

blueeyedgirl said:

That Maserati won't get serviced by itself!!!! :happy:

:) :)
But seriously, for all the lives he has saved, the joy he has spread, he deserves every luxury he has. IMO.

People that exploit others while pretending to do good like certain evanglecal leaders, now that's what I have a problem with. They profess to be these people on a mission for God, but in reality (some, not all) exploit older people in this country to give them their life savings and then use it to build theme parks and mansions. That is a sin if you ask me.

Bono doesn't profess to be anything other than a rock star with a cause. He can do what he wants with his well earned money and if that means servicing his Maserati than so be it
:wink:

JCOSTER said:

wow that was a pretty cool interview. except, most of the time i couldn't tell what the hell fanning was saying. but yeah, the boogie rolling was delicious. and bono is very candid about his stance on the taxes and charity.

Last edited:
redhotswami said:

wow that was a pretty cool interview. except, most of the time i couldn't tell what the hell fanning was saying. but yeah, the boogie rolling was delicious. and bono is very candid about his stance on the taxes and charity.
I love this interview, but I agree, I couldn't understand Fanning most of the time, that was weird.
Regarding this topic: There's a long piece in the NY Times about the "tax" issue and it contains some interesting quotes by Paul McGuiness about U2 paying a lot in taxes all around the world. The publishing is only a little part of their income. Much tax money goes to Ireland, since they live their, have envestments and employ people, most taxes are payed all around the world.
I just hope all the bashing and whining will come to an end soon and people will concentrate on the things that really matter about this band and Bono's work instead of always trying to stirr up negativity about everything and anything.

Oh wow, hasn't everything that could possibly be said about this topic already been said? Many, many times?

I still feel that the man is a businessman and not a saint. And that not only saints should be allowed to do good things for the poor. That would certainly exclude me. I still think his behavior is not hypocritical because he's not asking people to pay more taxes for Africa or to be sure that they don't take deductions so that more money goes to Africa. I imagine the people who disagree with this still disagree.

I will say that, for every article like this about Bono, there are four or five positive ones. So overall I don't think he's been treated too badly by the press. Yes, you get things like this, but overall the number of articles describing his awards and accolades is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom