Does anyone miss those downer songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
I don't know about you, but U2's last 2 albums have been missing low points, ATYCLB had New York which had a pretty good dose of melon colie and HTDAAB was pretty much positive and forward thinking, which by the way I think is brilliant. None the less songs like Until The End Of The World, Love Is Blindness, Lemon, Somedays Are Better, most of Pop are all quite negative in parts. I feel that sometimes it's good to have these songs too, just one or two.

Maybe it makes the albums a bit more real?
What do you guys think?

:hmm: Well I can't think of a much lower point than Sometimes or Fast Cars. Maybe that's just me and because of what those songs mean to me though. :shrug: And I think parts of COBL are quite the downers. In fact I feel ATYCLB was much more positive overall than Bomb. (with the exception of New York and When I Look at the World. :yikes: )

Last edited:
Peace on Earth is a huge downer for me. So much that even this weekend as I've been listening to ATYCLB, I skip over that track each time. It's a beautiful song, but it's just too emotional for me to listen to repeatedly. :sad:

It always feels to me like I'm listening to Bono lose his belief that as little as one person can make a difference and that's just too depressing for me to visit on a regular basis. :(

Yeah I spose what I meant is the feel of the music more so than the context.. I don't know how to explain it.. I find Sometimes and Fast Cars to be more uplifting, Bono seems sure of himself atleast.. maybe it's just personal taste. :)

Maybe the next album. I agree, the last two have been kinda "up" albums. Adam or Larry said that Mercy was left of the album because it was a little dark and didn't fit the mood.

As a "new wave" fan, I like these 2 last albums cause they're the more actual to me. Comparing with the others, they are probably the "less dark", they have much hope and joy but there still are some dark songs IMO like stuck in a moment, peace on earth, one step closer and SYCMIOYO.

Actually I dont think any of those songs are dark. Stuck in a Moment and Sometimes are uplifting songs. The lyrics might be a little bit sad but the songs arent dark.

Crumbs From Your Table isn't exactly the most positive number ever written.

I know what you mean - AB and Pop were very dark and angsty in parts, expressing a lot of doubt, both spiritually and relationally. Although I love the newer albums, I do miss the darker lyrics.

I see One Step Closer as a sad song... like Peace on Earth on ATYCLB

Crumbs from your table IMO it's an ironical lyric that could have be part of POP. I think it has a great potential because while it's a political and ironical song, it can be heard as a failed love song, like "One". Am I talking rubbish? I think it's not a downer, edge's guitar don't allow that.

I agree - I really hope that the next album is at least 40 % "Sad" stuff - when these guys write sad/dark songs no one can touch them i.e. Tomorrow, Drowning Man, Elvis Presley and America, Love Is Blindness, Walk To The Water, Running To Stand Still, Exit, Wake Up Dead Man etc. etc.

VintagePunk said:
I know what you mean - AB and Pop were very dark and angsty in parts, expressing a lot of doubt, both spiritually and relationally. Although I love the newer albums, I do miss the darker lyrics.

I agree and I really dig those albums. However AB and Pop were probably reflective of a phase they (Bono mainly) perhaps have left behind personally or if they haven't they are not so prone to express so openly at the moment.

ultraviolet7 said:

I agree and I really dig those albums. However AB and Pop were probably reflective of a phase they (Bono mainly) perhaps have left behind personally or if they haven't they are not so prone to express so openly at the moment.

No doubt. They seem much more content and comfortable in their own skin these days. I'm sure that where they are personally is reflected in their lyrics.

While ATYCLB was definitely an optimistic album, I think HTDAAB is darker.

All because of you and Original of the species and Yahweh are uplifting but the rest isn't.

lol same with me ree5669, I personally miss the darker days of U2, they did it so well I think, I would love to see them bring back love is blindness at a few shows, that ending guitar solo...I just love that live, so much anger, bitterness in that guitar sound.

While I love the darker songs of U2 (when I'm in the right mood for it), I am really glad that they have the whole range of emotions to choose from and to listen to.
I'd get really depressed if they only had the gloomy stuff :(

Back
Top Bottom