Does anyone know what happened in PA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z edge

I serve MacPhisto
I wonder because they are not saying much about it only DC and NYC. The sad truth is there will be many shocking revelations come out as this thing unfolds, they may/may not be aware of right now.

Prayers to everyone and GOD please help us all..

Yes. A plane that was hijacked from Boston went down in Pa. 50 miles from where I live. About 80 miles from Pittsburgh. All 45 people were killed. The plane was headed for SF, and it was a terrorist attack.

AP News

Two United Airlines Jetliners Crash
The Associated Press
Sep 11 2001 2:57PM

SHANKSVILLE, Pa. (AP) - A United Airlines jetliner crashed Tuesday morning in western Pennsylvania, the airline said. Minutes earlier, a man who said he was a passenger on the plane told an emergency dispatcher in a cell phone call: ``We are being hijacked, we are being hijacked!''

United said 45 people were aboard Flight 93 from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco. The fate of the passengers was not immediately announced. The Boeing 757 crashed north of Somerset County airport, about 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

The crash was one of four reported Tuesday by United and American Airlines. Two crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City and one hit the Pentagon in Washington.

In Pennsylvania, an emergency dispatcher received a cell phone call at 9:58 a.m. from a man who said he was a passenger locked in a
bathroom aboard United Flight 93, said dispatch supervisor Glenn Cramer in neighboring Westmoreland County. The man repeatedly told officials the call was not a hoax.

``We are being hijacked, we are being hijacked!'' Cramer quoted the man from a transcript of the call.

The man told dispatchers the plane ``was going down. He heard some sort of explosion and saw white smoke coming from the plane and we lost contact with him,'' Cramer said.

Flight 93 crashed about 10 a.m. about 8 miles east of Jennerstown, according to officials at the scene.

``There's a crater gorged in the earth, the plane is pretty much disintegrated. There's nothing left but scorched trees,'' said Mark Stahl of Somerset who went to the scene.

He described the area as a former strip mine that is now a grassy field edged by woods. The plane came down near the tree line, he said.

Michael R. Merringer was out on a mountain bike ride with his wife, Amy, about two miles away from the crash site.

``I heard the engine gun two different times and then I heard a loud bang and the windows of the houses all around rattled,'' Merringer said. ``I looked up and I saw the smoke coming up.''

The couple rushed home and drove near the scene.

``Everything was on fire and there was trees knocked down and there was a big hole in the ground,'' he said.

United said Flight 93 left Newark at 8:01 a.m. with 38 passengers, two pilots and five flight attendants.

In Chicago, United CEO James Goodwin said the airline is working with authorities including the FBI. United said it was sending a team to Pennsylvania to assist in the investigation and to provide assistance to family members.

``Today's events are a tragedy and our prayers are with everyone at this time,'' Goodwin said.

I heard it was headed for Camp David. Could it have been shot down by the US army to prevent it from killing more people?

I believe the plane crashed because the inept hijacker who killed the pilot couldn't fly. No way would they have crashed it there on purpose, it would be a 'waste' to them, those terrorists only want to hit high profile and high population areas. I have heard rumors that it was headed for Camp David to attack Bush, that it was headed to Chicago or SF to hit tall buildings, and even that it was shot down by the US Air Force to prevent another attack. The military denies that last one. Either way, it's tragic and people died. I can' t believe the news today.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
I heard it was headed for Camp David. Could it have been shot down by the US army to prevent it from killing more people?

This is my suspicion as well. And the fact that they are barely mentioning it is strange as well. As I said in another thread, there are bound to be many shocking revelations to come out as this unfolds.

Originally posted by DrTeeth:

There was yet another plane that crashed in Maryland (not the PA one) that was the one supposedly headed for Camp David.

There are rumors on my local radio station (I emphasize these are rumors) that it is possible that both of these planes were shot down. I think the story above (a loud bang then the crash...) supports that to some degree. I just don't know - how horrible all of this is.

I posted something about this in another thread...and I'm just wondering. Do you think that maybe the pilot of that plane deliberately crashed in that area? Knowing that it would cause less damage, saving more lives? I can only imagine this...

I don't think any of the airline pilots flew these planes. I don't believe they would have committed the acts with a gun to their heads knowing they were going to die anyway. I believe the pilots were killed and the planes were flown by terrorists. I think that could be why he crashed, bad pilot. If it were a terrorist, he would only crash where he could do damage.

------------------

I don't think a terrorist organisation which could pull such a stunt off would make the mistake of sending "bad pilots".

My guess is still that they shot it down.

Terrorists don't generally know how to fly jetliners, maybe fighter planes. Also, there is a possibility a heroic passenger may have attacked the terrorist pilot. The gov't has denied shooting down the plane, sure would hate to think our own guys would shoot down innocent passengers, though they likely would have died anyway if the terrorist succeeded.

While we're discussing general techniques for hijacking airplanes...

I hear that the hijackers aboard the plane that hit the Pentagon were armed with knives and box-cutters.

Hmm.

Seems kind of weak to me. Maybe pilots should start packing their own heat?

I'm sorry this might be rather long but I do have to say that a lot of this isn't adding up, and I need to vent. The 2 later planes have hardly gotten any news coverage and have fallen in extremely remote areas. Eyewitnesses are bound to be scarce, and like said before it didn't seem like it was something in the plans and according to the calls it sound like they were hit first. I believe both planes were speculated to be heading to camp david, while that seems like a common sense choice if the president is not in DC it also fails to note that the president was in actuality in FL thus not explaining why camp david (or maybe they did and I didn't catch it). Let us not forget that we do live in a country that revolves around greater good and such a rule of engagement probably exists ("casualties of war"). The other thing is that the media is being pretty obvious about is not digging up enough shit explaining what would cause such an attack. It is quick on blaming the Palestinians, but although the area has high terrorist activities they don't terrorize w/o motive. There are many small things that the U.S. has done to tick off other nations, in the case of the Palestinians, providing weapons to Israel and refusing to aid them while bullshitting that it is neutral.
There is a lot of bias in our news and a lot of things that the government is not going to reveal to us or admit to doing, hey do we really know who killed JFK? What about the attack on pearl harbor there's a lot and I mean a lot of speculations, and facts, that the US knew about the attack but did not prevent it because Congressman needed a reason or rather a way to convince its citizens that it was necessary to enter the war. Which had it taken any longer might have not helped anything. We've been sticking our noses in that area for years now, and always the public seemed to be able to sway some sense into it's leaders. It could very likely be such a scenario, though it seems pretty drastic, and the plane on the pentagon an extremely nice touch (hitting the only unimportant side must I note), a simple bomb on some buildings parking lot would NOT gain the same effect.
On the passengers defense, yeah they might have been hijacked by knives, but you must also remember these poor people have no contact with the outside world and do not know that 3 other planes are going through the same exact thing, and that their fate is to crash into the WTC. You must also remember that most of the hijacks only lasted about 30 mins. before meeting it's fate, that is not nearly enough time to analyze the situation and gather the passengers so that a plan of attack can be made. We also do not know how many terrorists were onboard these flights, so though one knife may not seem intimidating 8-10 for a plane of 65 passengers (not sure on amount but I do recall that most were not filled to capacity) can definitely be.
So this is all my little pessimistic view on this whole thing, I might be overanalyzing as we all might because we've been glued to our Tv's etc. for nearly a whole day if not longer. I just feel that there's something extremely awkward about after a whole day of listening to the TV and yet how little substance is in what they are saying. They talk and talk and talk but say nothing. Unconfirmed, cannot reveal, and other excuses are more common than than information and it's just starting to bug the hell outta of me.
Well my love and condolences goes out to everyone affected by the tragedies. And hope for everyone sakes that the truth does reveal itself because it is the best and only thing can offer those most affected by it.

- Marina B. I.
"Tell the ones who hear no sound, whose sons are living in the ground, Peace on Earth"

I heard two more things about this- one, that the plane bound for SF had requested a route change to DC, meaning another gov't building may have been a target. Second, I heard that the backup for all the Pentagon's info is somewhere near Pittsburgh, maybe it was headed there. Either way, it didn't make it, and it would be interesting to know why. Was there a black box?

------------------

I heard a rumor...*rumor* that someone got a phone call from the PA plane that said some of the passengers were going to over power whoever was flying the plane...*rumor*...it didn't reach its target...whatever it was...

dream wanderer

That would be so heroic, if we could find out the truth, ever. I heard one guy locked himself in the bathroom and called 911 on his cell phone, there is a recording of the call in PA.Those people had to be terrified, knowing they would likely die anyway, and to think they may have banded together and overpowered the terrorist is bravery and honor in the face of death that is incredible. They may have stopped another terrible disaster, giving their own lives but knowing they would have been doomed at the target. If this is true, there should be some way to honor those brave souls. Unlike the people on the other two planes, this plane's long flight and U-turn would have given the passengers time to talk and take action. IT might have happened on the other planes if they had time too. I know this is a rumor, but anything is possible at this point, and SOMETHING strange happened to that plane!

------------------

Read the "Heroes aboard Flight 93" thread on this forum. I think we now know just about what happened in PA!

------------------

Back
Top Bottom