does anyone just not really care about U2 anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
i hate to be negative, and i might get told off for this, but i just really don't care about U2 anymore.

for one, it takes them way too long to make albums. to be honest, i find it embarrassing that it takes them almost 4 years to complete albums. i understand that i'm not a worldly known artist, but i can say i've finished over 30 original songs in the last year that i and my mini fan base consider to be pretty good. so it's not that hard to write good material.

secondly, i hate politicians as it is, and now bono is becoming one. yes it's for a good cause, but if he rides the same plane as george w. bush again, i will puke.

lastly, i must say i've found other bands that just do it more for me(pearl jam, radiohead, doves).

maybe this is just a faze until the hype for the new album starts, but i've never felt this way before.

anyone else feel this way?

well i only been a fan for a passionate fan for 2 years but u2 mean everything to me but i can see where ur coming from

i dont know much about ya but maybe u have worn out your love for u2. u have heard everything there is to hear and dont need to hear it anymore.

i hope that never happens to me mate...i wanna be passionate bout u2 until i die

im pretty sure the u2 new album might get ya bak in to business though...u'll re recognise what u2 means to you

I've had mini lapses into U2 apathy, but nothing long lasting.

just go with the flow man. if you like those other bands more, then listen to them. if the new album comes out and you like it, then listen to it. simple as that...

as for Bono and the politics.. try ignoring U2 news for a while. If you're like me, and check up on it everyday, it's easy to be overloaded with everything Bono. But in the end, it has nothing to do with the music anyway... so try giving it a break. :shrug:

I was in a U2 apathy phase through most of the ATYCLB era apathy is the wrong word I watched the shows, went to 3 concerts and was majorly into it but the way I feel now I am like WHY DID I NOT TAPE ALL THE TV STUFF??? :banghead: and just appreciate it while it was going on. I coukld also be on a major AB nostalgia trip. Blame :larry: its all his fault.

If Bono can smack some sense into Bush I say let him fly on air force one all he wants.

Last edited:
I still care!

But I can see what you mean. It has happened with me and Coldplay. I never listen to their stuff anymore... it just bores me, whereas I used to love them.

I don't listen to U2 as much anymore because I have discovered so much other music. I'd say I listen to Ryan Adams about 75% of the time.

I don't love U2 any less, but they've just had to scootch over to make room for other musical friends. :D

U2 is my all-time favorite band, but I haven't listened to their music in a while. That's because I listen to other bands, I don't limit myself to just U2. Also, listening to their CDs over and over again would burn out my interest in them, so I guess I'm just re-charging my batteries.

Maybe that's what you're doing?

TiaraGurl said:
If Bono can smack some sense into Bush I say let him fly on air force one all he wants.

:lol: :yes: :).

Anywho...I can't say I feel the same way you do. I've had small amounts of time where I just take a break from them and listen to other bands I haven't listened to in a while (had a deal with that a few months back, now I'm heavily into them again and everything), just so I don't get burned out on them. But I haven't gotten to the point where I don't care about them at all.

From what I've understood in U2's history, it has, for the most part, taken them a few years to work on their albums, so this wait isn't unusual to me. But if you're tired of waiting...:shrug:.

And as for the discovering new bands part-I like how Bonochick put it: "I don't love U2 any less, but they've just had to scootch over to make room for other musical friends."

Maybe the new album will get your interest in them back up again, and you'll love them as well as these other bands. Until then, take a break and enjoy these other bands that you're getting into instead.

And if this signals the end of your U2 fandom...well, as others have said in regards to problems like this before, appreciate what U2 has given you over the length of time you've been a fan, and get fully into the other bands you're interested in. It happens with some people, there's no shame in it, just how some interests are.

Angela

I decided to rediscover my own CD collection and as a result I'm not listening to U2 a lot these days. Plus, currenty all of my mad excitement reserves are directed towards that little indie movie about rings and hobbitses that's coming out this month, :)

I'm still a huge fan, but the gluttony period where I devoured U2's back catalogue music like crazy has quitened down.

But a few days ago I felt pretty down for some reason so I put on ATYCLB and Wide Awake in America and hey, the magic is still there, :)

If you don't feel passionate about the band anymore... well, maybe something will kickstart it again. If it doesn't there's nothing wrong with it either; things come and go.

Last edited:
put on rattle&hum(dvd) and then get to me!

u2 have pussied out and im not into their new songs or what ever...... but that does not mean i hate them!

U2 used to be able to put out lots of albums: Boy, October, War, and The Unforgettable Fire came over a short period from 1980 to 1984. I don't see why they can't do the same now. The Unforgettable Fire is their best studio album in my opinion, and it came only a year after War, so why is it they now need to take 3+ years to produce material that isn't as good? (ATYCLB is their worst CD in my opinion, though I still love it)

The only time I got negative about U2 was when Bono started doing the whole MacPhisto thing. I had been a fan since 1982 and had come to know him as the earnest, righteous guy who seemed so ready to change the world with his music and his goodness. So when he came out as this cartoonish figure that was the complete opposite of that, it was quite hard for me to stomach. It was only when I realized that this was simply his way of poking fun at himself and his critics, that I got back on board.

KristenF said:
The only time I got negative about U2 was when Bono started doing the whole MacPhisto thing. I had been a fan since 1982 and had come to know him as the earnest, righteous guy who seemed so ready to change the world with his music and his goodness. So when he came out as this cartoonish figure that was the complete opposite of that, it was quite hard for me to stomach. It was only when I realized that this was simply his way of poking fun at himself and his critics, that I got back on board.

I felt exactly the same as you! I was a major U2 fanatic from 1983 to 1989, then when they started acting weird (my opinion of it back then) and Bono started smoking :madspit: I dropped out of fandom. I "rediscovered" them with ATYCLB, and have since bought the 1990s album, which I've discovered are pretty good, as well. And when I read that MacPhisto was Bono's version of Screwtape, then it all made sense.

I'm a bit slow, but I get the message after a while! :p

I know what you mean, mikal. I was ragging on U2 the other day to my husband, and he about fell out of his chair. I'm tired of seeing Bono on CNN. I want to see him on a new album cover.

Bono annoys me. Yes it's all for a good cause, but for Christ's sake I'm sick of the guy.

I'm also in the same situation as Bonochick and ILLM, except I don't listen to any one artist for that long. Probably for two days I'd be listening to say, Suede, and another day I'd be sick of them and want to listen to something completely different.

that's the way music goes.

for one, it takes them way too long to make albums. to be honest, i find it embarrassing that it takes them almost 4 years to complete albums"

-----------------

Edge, married 5 kids
Bono, married 4 kids
Larry, girlfriend, 3 kids
Adam, girlfriend. (I don't know details, just that he has one).

Embarrassing?? if you work all the time, it drives you crazy, you need a break, even if you love music, you'd like to take a break every once in awhile. I work 36 hours a week, for me to do this, like 40-50 hours a week, every year, I'd go nutters. Music is different, it looks like fun, but U2 have to come up with new musical ideas, guitar lines, bass lines, drum lines. They do all that, and then there's lyrics to put to that music, maybe it's easy for you as a musician too, but to a person who isn't, it doesn't look easy.

To the original question, nope, but then I'm a ATYCLB fan, (got on board around Nov/Dec 2000), so it's still fun. Just got the best of Propaganda, they're so articulate when they speak. The Slane DVD, with UF documentary, this is all new for me, so I guess at one point it could be boring, but I like what i've seen and heard so far!

I've found that U2 are pretty good for finding new music though.

www.radiofreevirgin.com/channels/zooradio.html#

Last edited:
I will always love and care about U2, but lately my life is more interesting to me than anything else. I haven't listened to a U2 record in about a year (maybe longer) but I love the Slane DVD and have been sharing it with friends. I'm rediscovering my own large record collection and listening to lots of new stuff as well and I think that's normal and healthy. I'm not sick of Bono because I rarely watch TV and haven't seen him on TV at all in months and months but I also never think about him. I rarely come into EYKIW because there's nothing to talk about that hasn't already been talked about incessantly. So while I love them, I am no longer particularly interested in talking about them and listening to their records right now. It's all good, though, changing all the time.

KristenF said:

I confess, I was put off by MacPhisto at first too :reject: It bothered me that this righteous dude was now the devil. What was he trying to prove? But, once the ZOOTV Sydney tape came out and I saw how funny and cool it was, I was okay with it. I never did like the Pop thing though, and still don't. But like Sue DeNym, I got back into them big with ATYCLB and Elevation and I might be close to my all time most obsessed.

If anyone here is tired of U2, or Bono, it's only because we see so much of them. Most people, or even most fans, don't get the overexposure we do. You know, coming here all the time, surfing the web for U2, we are only asking for it! So if you feel you need to distance yourself from them for awhile, take a break and it'll be fun again next record and tour! Me, I'm too addicted. Too late! :D

Last edited:
:eyebrow:Well, I love u2's music, love the old and discover the new! But I have been a fan for a long time-1981, so it's been like I have grown up with them. they may have been able to put albums,we used to call them :wink: out more often then, but the songs seem deeper, richer these days. that, and now they Do have wives and families these days, charity work they are involved with, and Bono did say they didn't want to put out any o' trash! Even SEAL said he was not into putting out albums for the sake of quanity, but quality! Why should it be any different for U2? :shrug:

I still care, though I listen to their music less. I agree there's been A LOT of Bono since Elevation tour in the newspapers but I'm not sick of him yet. :D

Yes they take a long time to make albums but most of the time it's worth the wait. (it sounds odd that it takes 3,4 years but we got Passengers between Zooropa and POP, we got a Best of with a new song between POP and ATYCLB and a Best of with 2 new songs and several new mixes after ATYCLB - not to mention the album's tours and possibly their two highest profiled performances ever with the Oscars and the Superbowl. Or that they made two albums basically during a tour anyway.)

I felt like that cos my fiance plays nothing but Elevation all the versions of it like all the time and I got sick of that song...and I said...no more U2 for awhile! Of course he like knocked some sense into me and me into him so he only plays that once in awhile now...but I've learned to be patient with the band...I just think that if they take their time they'll make something amazing :)

thrillme said:
Edge, married 5 kids
Bono, married 4 kids
Larry, girlfriend, 3 kids
Adam, girlfriend. (I don't know details, just that he has one).

Embarrassing?? if you work all the time, it drives you crazy, you need a break, even if you love music, you'd like to take a break every once in awhile. I work 36 hours a week, for me to do this, like 40-50 hours a week, every year, I'd go nutters. Music is different, it looks like fun, but U2 have to come up with new musical ideas, guitar lines, bass lines, drum lines. They do all that, and then there's lyrics to put to that music, maybe it's easy for you as a musician too, but to a person who isn't, it doesn't look easy.

Great point.

Also, keep in mind, guys, that the big reason why U2 put out albums so fast in the early days is because they wanted to get themselves known-had they taken a long time between, say, Boy and October, who knows if they would've been heard from again. A lot of bands do that when they first start out.

But then thanks to War and The Unforgettable Fire, they got more notice, got hit songs from those albums, and were able to take a longer time to work on their albums, 'cause they were well known by then.

And since then, like I said, this wait between albums is not that unusual-that's the way it's been for the most part ever since after The Unforgettable Fire came out.

I know waiting is hard-I'm anxious for the new album and a tour, too. But I'd much prefer U2 take their time and have this album completely done the way they want it, rather than rush it and have it come out and have not that many people be happy with it (I thought that was why some of you didn't like Pop, right? So what do people want-the guys to hurry up with the album and have another Pop scenario, or to take their time?).

Originally posted by thrillme
To the original question, nope, but then I'm a ATYCLB fan, (got on board around Nov/Dec 2000), so it's still fun. Just got the best of Propaganda, they're so articulate when they speak. The Slane DVD, with UF documentary, this is all new for me, so I guess at one point it could be boring, but I like what i've seen and heard so far!

Another good point. For a lot of us newer fans, there's still songs and albums and videotapes and whatnot that we haven't read and listened to yet, so we haven't gotten a chance to be bored. I can understand why some of you who've been fans for a long time are, though.

Also, I personally am not sick of Bono (I don't think I can ever get sick of the guy), but I do see where some of you are coming from with that. But the others haven't done a lot outside of the music as of late to warrant so much news, otherwise, we'd hear just as much about them as we do Bono.

Angela

I?ve loved U2 since the "War" album, and that love has not diminished one bit.
But when they take a "break" so do I and I discover artist that I may not have if U2 cranked out one record a year. Not to mention the fact that the public would get sick of hearing them if pushed out records as fast as some other artist have done.

Just look at this way, they come back, fresh with new ideas, new sounds, and new energy, mean while we get a break from them, listen to new artist, music that we may have missed.

It's a win/win situation.

:bow: VIVA U2!

That is the one negative about being a U2 fan, the wait. But once the new album comes out and they begin to tour, U2 will blow everyone away. They always do. When I first started getting into U2 thats all I listened to for around 2 yrs. Prior to ATYCLB I got into different bands and now I always try to look for new bands. There are lots of great bands in the world. You just have to look past Top 40, MTV, etc. Keep your mind occupied with other kinds of music, then salvage new U2.

Back
Top Bottom