Does anyone have the dvd of the making of the joshua tree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
if so, is it worth getting? is it good? great? amazing?

I have it. It's pretty good. What I didn't like was that they didn't talk about the recording of each of the songs, just some of them; but I think it's worth having. Love the bit where Edge talks about WOWY.

I have it too, but I might be partial to it since I love JT. They pretty much squeezed at least a sentence about every song in except for "Red Hill Mining Town". But yeah, if you're into documentaries it's a good one to have.

I have the VHS. I don't recommend it, for unless you are interested in the mudane goings on of the studio it is quite dull. There are a few clips of In God's Country, Spanish Eyes, Zoo TV Sydney version of Running to Stand Still, and Popmart Chile Mothers of the Disappeared, but none are in their entirity and are nothing most of us haven't seen before. The vast majority of it is Lanois, Bono (looking geeky) and Edge (in his straw hat) sitting and standing in front of sound board equiptment listening to clips of songs that either were or were not included on the album and discussing why they were or were not included. That is the contents, I consider it a snorefest. If it sounds like something you'd dig, go for it. But I would advise against it, unless you are either the studio type or just such an avid collector you must have everything U2.

You mean to seriously tell me that they do not mention RHMT AT ALL? Even though it was so nearly a single that they recorded a video for it? That's just ludicrous.

I thought it was boring, a lot of babbling and a lot of Lanois messing with the sounds, but I'm never that into all the tiny "making of" details about EVERY song. My favorite part was the clip where they showed U2 playing Mothers of the Disappeared at the end of one of the South American PopMart concerts.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I My favorite part was the clip where they showed U2 playing Mothers of the Disappeared at the end of one of the South American PopMart concerts.

I agree. That is probably the only thing that made this DVD worthwhile. Even though they don't show the song in it's entirety, it's interesting because they brought the Mothers of the Disapeared on the stage and Bono paid a moving tribute to them.

Basically, it tells the old story of how Eno nearly destroyed the demo for "Streets", and how "Running to stand still" was made up pretty much on the spot. They play back the tape of "Still haven't found" and they find all these sounds that they recorded for the song that never made the cut. It tells us that the guitar and bass for "Bullet" are not in the same key with each other, and how Edge liked the minimalistic approach to the ending of "With or without you". Nothing is mentioned about "Red Hill Mining Town", "Trip through your wires" and "One tree hill" at all. If you're into that type of thing, go for it. It's interesting, but one of those things that is only interesting the first time you watch it.

The_acrobat said:

I agree. That is probably the only thing that made this DVD worthwhile. Even though they don't show the song in it's entirety, it's interesting because they brought the Mothers of the Disapeared on the stage and Bono paid a moving tribute to them.

Basically, it tells the old story of how Eno nearly destroyed the demo for "Streets", and how "Running to stand still" was made up pretty much on the spot. They play back the tape of "Still haven't found" and they find all these sounds that they recorded for the song that never made the cut. It tells us that the guitar and bass for "Bullet" are not in the same key with each other, and how Edge liked the minimalistic approach to the ending of "With or without you". Nothing is mentioned about "Red Hill Mining Town", "Trip through your wires" and "One tree hill" at all. If you're into that type of thing, go for it. It's interesting, but one of those things that is only interesting the first time you watch it.

thanks very much. being a musician, I'm sure I would really like it.
now if only to find it.....:|

get it get it. its good!

dany and bono on the mixing bord is great. and it also has" THE SWEETEST THING "music video in the end. go get it now!

eno talks about f ing WTSHNN, funny stuff.

I think it's good - I like behind the scenes stuff - but the standout moment for me is the full version of Running To Stand Still from the Sydney ZooTV vid - absolutely mesmerizing.

AS a musician, I really loved it. Here are a few observations I took away from it...

I felt that Lanois came across as very, very smug about some songs (ISHFWILF) and that bugged me

Steve Lillywhite looks like a fun guy

I love the way Bono cringed at his own vocals sometimes

If you were to do a shot of alcohol everytime they say the word 'process' you'd be drunk by the end

I was really pissed off that they used ZOO TV footage of Joshua Tree songs. They have the Joshua Tree Tour footage in avault somewhere, go get it and put it on there. That's the timeframe we're talking about. ALthough the POPmart Chile footage was very, very haunting.

well, thanks everyone for your opinions. I got it today and just watched it; I enjoyed it much.....being a musician, I really got into hearing the mixes played with, comentary from eno and lanois, and for me it was worth it for the bits with edge.
:up:

YES!!! definitely get this dvd!!! great insite to the album. great part with Edge playing the end of WOWY. You can actually learn to play the end of that song! Its a different look at the band that we dont usually get to see. Lanois is very impressive on this dvd. just shows you what a genuis this guy is.

bayernfc said:
I have it too, but I might be partial to it since I love JT. They pretty much squeezed at least a sentence about every song in except for "Red Hill Mining Town". But yeah, if you're into documentaries it's a good one to have.

[/i] [B]What? [/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by bayernfc said:

Well I didn't hear them talking about it ... did you?

Oh my god, how clever...but nor did you hear me talking about watching it did you?

I was simply maing my surprise known at the fact they didn't discuss what is simply one of their best songs....So there! :madspit: There's no way I'm going to watch that now....okay, I was wrong, I will end up watching it later on. But it's a great shame they didn't speak about it...I've got the Classic Albums DVD of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (Naturally) and there was a SHED LOAD to be said on that....but now as I type. I realise they left one track out, I think. But cannot be bothered to delete it..ah well.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually, they did not mention:
trip through your wires
one tree hill
and red hill mining town

I can understand them not mentioning Trip Through Your Wires, but One Tree Hill and Red Hill Mining Town are classics! Have they now got something against their 'hill' songs ...?

Back
Top Bottom