Does anyone else think this place is out of control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by diamondbruno9:
...and if we could get a few more sexy people...this fourm would be complete..

Thank You
Diamond

I'm sexy bruno!! Wink, Wink...handshake with finger tickle...

CK on the MT

------------------
MSG: I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

well that makes two of us sexy then.

by the way, what defines sexy?

methinks that could need its own website, never mind a forum topic!

You know, i really hate it when someone posts a rational and rather provocative argument. Thanks a lot SpanishEyes!
wink.gif
. Nah, to some extent, i agree with you. You make good points. At times, I find that this forum is too "straight laced" and therefore, boring; while other times (like perhaps now) the silliness becomes somewhat intolerant, and therefore annoying. It goes through its ebbs and flows, and eventually balances out for a time. I guess we just need to be patient. Like someone already said, you can't please everyone.

Oh and the 120 second thing. Not a big fan...but its regretably necessary.

CK

------------------
MSG: I will give you 2 GA's for 2 GC's!! Email or IM me or respond to the multiple threads I have concerning this. Help a desparate man out!!
Email:U2_Kennedy@yahoo.com
AIM: ckennedy77

I don't worry whether or not this forum is out of control but rather I worry that the whole f-ing world is out of control.
This place for all its absurdity allows me to forget about all the craziness going on in the world for a short while. Even though this place sometimes doesn't make much sense, one thing for sure, it always puts a smile on my face.

-ME

------------------
I didn't take no shortcuts
I spent the money that I saved up
Oh, Momma running out of luck
Like my sister, don't give a fuck

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Out of Control?

Doesn't U2 sing a song called that? And The Rolling Stones? Does anybody else?

To name a few...

Bad Boy Joe
The Eagles
Jefferson Starship
George Jones
Krokus
Luke
David Mahr
Milkshakes
Ministry of Sound
Moogroove
Ted Nugent
Oingo Boingo
Saxon
Secret Weapon
Six One Five
CJ Sleez
Joe Stasa

Thanks for the list, UL...I think...*lol*
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I Don't Know You, But You Don't Know The Half Of It..."

Well said spanisheyes and Hawk269. I'm all for a light hearted approach on the forum, but often the silliness is taken to such a high level that it basically dominates the forum. I definitely don't read all the posts, but like spanisheyes said, it does get annoying to have to sift through all of them to find posts that actually make some sort of sense.

Also, I don't mean to sound angry (because in the end, this forum really doesn't matter all that much to me), but the cliques here are getting to be a bit much. The playing out and inflating of online egos really takes away from the welcoming and open atmosphere of the place. Now sure, it's all in good fun, but quite often things are taken too far and it just seems like entire threads are created for no other reason than to boost an already inflated online ego.

My 2? on that subject. Overall, I think this forum is working very well, although there is definitely room for improvement.

Diemen~

I agree that there does seem to be cliques here...I guess I could kind of be considered to be a part of that...it sort of happens by itself when you become very good friends with some people here. I don't think that there is a problem with that if people aren't shunning others or being mean to people who aren't in their "clique".

I think the problem is that "clique" has such a negative connotation. It's more like we have our little circles of friends here.

However...others are always welcome into my circle of friends.

------------------
"I Don't Know You, But You Don't Know The Half Of It..."

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:

*This is the general discussion area. Primarily to be used for reactions and thoughts about U2.*

Primarily being the key word, not solely.

Thank you, Goddess. It won't work to move every single non-U2-related topic to Lemonade Stand because everyone knows that 90% of the traffic can be found here in EYKIW. The average thread in Lemonade probably gets about 7 responses whereas here in EYKIW it's not uncommon to have a thread run 30 responses.

If the mods strictly enforced the "U2 only" code in EYKIW, this forum (EYKIW) would die.

If you would insist on making this forum only for U2-related ideas and move all non-related into Lemonade Stand, then I would suggest putting Lemonade Stand right next to EYKIW, and then purge all non-related existing topics into Lemonade Stand to force people to use it.

This forum will then be dry as a bone, but then no one would be able to whine...except in how dead this place has become.

So you have a choice: keep things the way they are or place Lemonade Stand on an equal footing as EYKIW, and that means by putting the two forums next to each other on the Feedback menu.

I think my proposition before you isn't unreasonable, so debate freely.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I'd like to see the multiple personalities eliminated. It gets kind of tiring reading through otherwise interesting threads when people are essentially talking to themselves.

That's my only complaint, and it's not really that big a deal.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Originally posted by MadelynIris:
Well we all know that EYKIW forum is really more of a forum about U2 fans and than specifically about U2. I LOVE the variety!!!!

Like the pics of Johnny Swallow's girlfriend. I think that's great. This place is about U2 fans!!!!

I'd much rather see posts like that, than re-hash the same old U2 posts of the same topics over and over again.

Please don't censor! This happens every few months or so, and turns this place upside down. It's a group of friends that talk about a variety of things, who all happen to like U2!!!!

Mark

Absolutely. If 90% of what this forum talked about was U2, I wouldn't be here. PERIOD.

If you don't like the threads, don't read them. I'm only anti-newbie because they ruin things for everyone.

Newbies that complain = suck^3

well since my opinion is the only one that matters, and will be the one that stands, i say we keep the forum the way it is. i love multiple handles. its like playing hide and go seek, only noone hides and noone seeks.

quit your complaining people. this is as good as it will get, and if this place would only tolerate strict u2 threads, then i for one would leave.*

this is a threat not a promise! ;)

------------------
-death bear

I try to avoid most of the silly threads as I spend too much time as it is on the forum. I like to read about U2 and get to know their fans better.

Originally posted by Quano Abidji-Achibi:
well since my opinion is the only one that matters, and will be the one that stands, i say we keep the forum the way it is. i love multiple handles. its like playing hide and go seek, only noone hides and noone seeks.

quit your complaining people. this is as good as it will get, and if this place would only tolerate strict u2 threads, then i for one would leave.*

this is a threat not a promise!
wink.gif

I totally agree. It would be one thing if serious threads were threatened with trolling, but, in 90% of the cases, the serious threads and the silly threads are kept separate. It is a fallacy to believe that everyone should love EVERY thread. To those who hate silly threads and wish to complain about them, don't read them. To those who hate serious threads and wish to put silly things in them, don't do it. I am surely not perfect, but I do not see any problems with this forum in terms of posting.

As for politics and bickering, that is not something that will be fixed with tightening controls. There are a lot of passions in this forum lately, and if you think that by just forcing people to post elsewhere that things will magically get better, I think you are fooling yourself. There has been something rotten brewing for a long time, and I just wish that the parties involved would just resolve it one way or another--either make up or stop talking to each other. Confront your troubles either way, and if you have a beef with Elvis or the mods (as seems to be the case with a few lately), I think the grown-up thing to do would be to e-mail them privately, rather than drag a big stink in the forum and get everyone involved. The mods' e-mails are posted above, and I'm sure you can get Elvis' address elsewhere. If anything is "out of control," it is this, in my opinion.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by Quano Abidji-Achibi:

this is a threat not a promise!
wink.gif

Best answer of the night..
DramaQueens neen not respond..

Late-
DB9

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An "open letter"-re-Bos#4 to Bono from me-click here to view--- www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Absolutely. If 90% of what this forum talked about was U2, I wouldn't be here. PERIOD.

If you don't like the threads, don't read them. I'm only anti-newbie because they ruin things for everyone.

Newbies that complain = suck^3

So you can complain about us... but we can't complain about anything... why?
I guess you would prefer if nobody new ever joined this forum,
frown.gif

------------------
And I felt like a star...

I agree with hawk259 and spanisheyes. I like the silly posts, I think sometimes they are witty and add a spark to things around here. But sometimes they can intimidate (because they are inside jokes or kind of negative) those that would just want to post thoughts and ideas about U2. But I also welcome them because they are a chance for us to get to know one another while we discuss U2. I don't think there is any way to legislate a "better" forum that has just the right amount of fun and business. My feeling is it has to be left up to the users to make into what they want and need. But that means ALL the users! Be nice to everyone
smile.gif
!

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
I agree with hawk259 and spanisheyes. I like the silly posts, I think sometimes they are witty and add a spark to things around here. But sometimes they can intimidate (because they are inside jokes or kind of negative) those that would just want to post thoughts and ideas about U2. But I also welcome them because they are a chance for us to get to know one another while we discuss U2. I don't think there is any way to legislate a "better" forum that has just the right amount of fun and business. My feeling is it has to be left up to the users to make into what they want and need. But that means ALL the users! Be nice to everyone
smile.gif
!

smile.gif
That was good.

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I think one point we should think about is that it is impossible to please everyone.

Originally posted by Hawk269:
On the negative side, I think this forum gets very eccentric at times. People get so wrapped up in their online selves, that they develop big egos and try to make others feel like they own the place.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

On the negative side, I think this forum gets very eccentric at times. People get so wrapped up in their online selves, that they develop big egos and try to make others feel like they own the place.
AJ

phewf!! im glad its not me who she might be talking about here!

------------------
-death bear

Bingo.

I'm not saying to eliminate all non-U2 threads. That's ridiculous and would suck the life out of the forum as many have said. But threads that basically serve to pad eccentric and inflated online egos need to be toned down a bit or moved.

Back
Top Bottom