Does Anyone Else Get Made Fun Of For Being A U2 Fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was one person... .once......
But he doesn't do much talking at all, anymore....

===

Seriously, one girl once made fun of me. I don't parade it around, I'm a reserved person, believe it or not. HOwever, PRIDE is on the side of my high shool graduation ring, so, she saw it and made a comment about the song.

:shrug:

I guess that's not a good example, though, because things worked out fine.... In general, though, I will say that there is plenty of "opposition" out there

I did in high school when the only cool thing to listen to was 50 Cent.

Even now I get some reaction when people have seen my Vertigo poster and the Joshua Tree posters in my room. But the worst reaction I usually get is a bit of a "ehh...I'm not a big fan."

A girl I have a crush on has said she isn't a big fan, mostly because Bono's got a bit too much ego for her (which admittedly, I can understand where some people would get that idea). But she's open minded about it, and wants to hear some more before making up her mind, so I'm making a CD of slightly lesser-known U2 songs to try to sway her opinion.

I find that most people who are of mature age and say they dislike U2 are of an open mind. Most don't hate the band, they just don't like one or two things about the band, and it's a stumbling block to the rest.

[/ramble]

Oh yeah, my friends, even ones who like U2 always call me a U2 Freak......they make fun of me for collecting Rolling Stones U2 and Bono are on the cover of and magazines that U2 are on the cover of and for buying U2 stuff, for decorating my office in U2, for listening to U2 a majority of the time. But when they need a trivia question answered, who do they come to?

Yes, that's me.....the U2 Freak.:wink:

Yes, even at 54, I get ridden about it, typically by my older brother who continues to call Mr. B...Boner instead of Bono,,,They are die-hard Republicans.

We can't wait until Xmas time when my sister-in-law can show off her President and Mrs. Bush Christmas card they received in exchange of their $$ contributions; hell, I've seen them sit around and root for the War....! :yuck:

Neither he nor my older sister seem to understand that BAW and I have FRIENDS around the world and that we're actually concerned about world injustices, hunger, AIDS, the need for peace, our hatred of War and other social issues.....they just doesn't understand....

They don't understand that why we've flown across the country to see the band; that we've waited outside arenas to catch a glimpse of U2; they just don't get it...:no:

Please tell me that you understand us, don't you???????? :sad:

Last edited:
all of my friends and family make fun of me for being obsessive over U2.
it gets pretty old with comments like "oh you like Bone-oh dontcha?" or "they're the band with the funny names like The Edge and Bono right?" :rollseyes:
right now in high school, everyone I know either listens to rap/hiphop or punk/crappy rock. :| the generation doesn't seem to appreciate good music anymore......

I think everyone has been made fun of for being a U2 fan, but ya know how us fans are, we'll go through thick and thin for them :wink:

Yup, everything Mr. BAW said and then some. I just ignore the eye rolls and the snickers. The people who make fun of us probably couldn't name a U2 song if their lives depended on it yet they make judgements on us for being fans.

I personally don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks so I don't lose much sleep over it. I'm having the time of my life so they can think whatever they want.

Yea, I don't flaunt that they're my favorite band but when it comes up or someone asks they always just make a face or say something like "how old are they like 90?" and mind you, these weren't just high schoolers or fellow college friends but even people I've met who are well into their 30's and early 40's.
So yea, I cant say I've ever gotten a compliment or will ever make a friend because I love U2. This also occurs with Springsteen. It's funny cause typically all their concerts sell out with quickness so they're obviously really popular but I've never met anyone outside of a concert who actually likes U2 or Bruce.

But now I've come to like that better, everyone else is so enthralled with their beloved Kanye, Coldplay, My Chemical Romance and Killers and I'm glad to be from a different crowd.

One of my earlier roommates used to call U2 and their music gay, all the time! But I know he was kidding and he did it to piss me off of course! Other than that, I haven't really faced any ridicule or anything... just a lack of interest in the band. :| Anyway, who cares? It's their loss. :wink:

elevation2u said:
It's funny cause typically all their concerts sell out with quickness so they're obviously really popular but I've never met anyone outside of a concert who actually likes U2 or Bruce.

Yeah, that surprises me too! :huh:

elevation2u said:

But now I've come to like that better, everyone else is so enthralled with their beloved Kanye, Coldplay, My Chemical Romance and Killers and I'm glad to be from a different crowd.

:up:

Bono's American Wife said:
I personally don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks so I don't lose much sleep over it. I'm having the time of my life so they can think whatever they want.

...enough said....Thanks Char. :D

I don't get made fun of too much, but my roommate gets annoyed sometimes at how much I talk about them.

I dont really care they make fun of them at all, but having to listen to it so many times a day gets sooooo annoying, Ive heard them be called old, "Boner" instead of Bono, anything you can think of Ive most likely heard from those damn goth, punk, emo, gangster, metal head assholes

Don't get picked on so much because I'm a U2 fan but because of the fact of my total obsession with the band and especially Bono. One my nicknames is Ms Bono, which I really don't mind! I think most people find it hard to understand as to why I'm so consumed by U2. And maybe they're a little jealous when they see how something as simple as hearing a U2 song or seeing a photo Bono brings joy to my heart and a huge smile on my face.:heart: :edge: :bono: :adam: :larry: :heart:

It's wierd because on a whole I am more into 'Trendy' music that's popular with teens. For example, I love Coldplay, Athlete, Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, and all of these other modern indie bands.

However, U2 happens to be my favourite band.

I don't know what makes them any different to Coldplay or Killers or any other modern bands, except for the fact that they are 'old'.

But they rule.

Most of my friends are indifferent to U2, they don't like them, but don't particulaly hate them either. I have one or two friends that are fans, and other friends of mine are not fans, but like the odd song. Most popular U2 songs with teens seems to be 'Beautiful Day' and 'Vertigo'. My girlfriend is not a big U2 fan, but she absolutely loves Beautiful Day, and is also fond on Vertigo and Elevation, but that's about it.

To answer the question, I have never been made fun of for liking U2. What is it to be embarrassed about? It's not like it's Phil Collins or Sting or anything like that (Even though I like those, but not hugely).

A schoolmate always sang in my face "E-LE-VA-TION whooo whooo whooo" in front of all the damn class :mad:

Not really, though my friend pokes fun at Bono, but in a joking way. Nothing mean. ;)

She can spot The Fly when she sees him though. :wink:

If anyone makes fun of "you" for being a U2 fan, just ask "them" what their favorite band is. Odds are you will be able to laugh your ass off at them for their shitty taste in music.

People made fun of me for liking U2 in high school. If anything even slightly related to the band came up in class, everyone would turn around to look at me. It was pretty annoying. Then again, I suppose wearing nothing but numbered t-shirts and woolly caps for the entire year of 2001 wasn't such a good idea. :wink:

I don't get made fun of for liking U2 these days. I've even seen students around university who look like fans. It seems quite a few people did what I did and jetted off to see them in Toronto...the week after the Toronto shows, I saw at least five different people wearing Vertigo tour shirts. My mouth dropped when I saw the first person with a shirt on. I said something like "Oh my goodness, you're a U2 fan?!" and pointed at him. He kind of mumbled in agreement and darted off, looking scared. Up until that moment, that guy was the only other person my age I'd ever seen outside of a concert who was a fan. :lol:

The thing is most of these kids don't know jack shit about music in general. It's unwilling ignorance on their behalf they do not know nay better.

But then again I've designed a collective of people with excellent musical tastes. We pump out the "DJ Shadow" and then we blast out "The Doors".

:wink:

Wow, I guess I'm pretty lucky for not getting a lot of crap in high school... but then again it was me and my best friend, and both of us would get pretty pissed if anyone insulted them, so that helped.

As for college... I think people were pretty surprised when they walked into my dorm room and saw basically an entire wall covered with 3-4 posters and all the spaces filled in with misc. photos I would print out, but no one ever said anything negative. Generally, they'd perhaps think I was a bit obsessive (which, you know, fair call), but they'd never make fun of me for being a fan. People would actually bring me posters/photos if they would find them (for instance, my floor president found a poster version of the U2001 Rolling Stone cover at his work, along with a subway poster of the Joshue Tree cover, and just dropped them off for me).

My roommate helps, as she is a massive Elvis fan, so we were like the awesome music room.

What was really awesome was the other day in class (I'm now a senior), one of the fellow kids in my class had a Vertigo tee on. She had flown to Florida to see a show earlier in the semester.

But I do agree... there is a certain giddiness in finding a fellow fan outside the concerts... sort of a "I'VE SPOTTED YOU!" kind of glee. But that's just because hopefully you can talk about the aesthetic differences between Achtung Baby, Zoroopa, and Pop with the other person actually understand you (instead of staring at you blankly).

My roommates give me good-natured shit for being a U2 fan alll the time. Of course, I play the CDs and DVDs 24/7, so if I wasn't a U2 fan, it could get tedious, too, I suppose!

They try to make fun of me for liking them and then I ask them to show me their CD collection and I just tell them now that is laughable maybe you should try listening to some music that is older then 6 months old and not on the top 40 chart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom