Does Anyone Else Get Made Fun Of For Being A U2 Fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get slack from people...I dont come off as a U2 junkie in front of people I know dont care..but I hate when non fans act they they know about U2 cause the only sone they might have heard was Beautiful Day or One, or they call Bono "Bohno" as in Sonny Bono...Or like my supervior asked about the recent concerts I attened and I was so excited telling her about my U2 Adventures, I could see in her face total disintrest, yet she had the nerve to tell me that she wants me to let her know when they play again so she could see for herself what Im talking about.....My thought was :madspit: !!!!

Or when people ask .."WHY DO YOU HAVE TO SEE THEM SO MANY TIMES??? AREN"T ALL SHOWS THE SAME??"...My reply is NO EVERY SHOW IS DIFFERENT AND SPECIAL!!!!:wink:

I just try not to talk U2 to anyone who is not intrested..It makes my life eaiser..:D

I always tried to be a closet U2 fan in high school. When I was in the eighth grade in 1987, I wore a U2 shirt and I was so embarrassed to wear it. U2 back then were considered too serious, uncool and boring, with their music being political and religious. For teenagers to see that I was a U2 fan, they saw me as being uncool. It's always been like that, even today.
A few years ago, I wore the U2 Best of 1980-90 shirt in public, with the picture of the boy wearing the army helmut. It felt like I was back in 1987, being 14 years old, embarrassed to be a U2 fan. I was so scared of people coming up to me and saying, "Yuck, you like U2? They suck." I kept on thinking that they were probably saying that in their minds when they saw me. Since then, I have not worn a U2 shirt, nor will I ever. :sad: It sucks that I love this band so much, yet I am ashamed to show my love in public, for fear that people might think that I am a loser for liking U2. I know I shouldn't feel like that, but I do.
But you know what, I don't get why the fuck Green Day, the Killers, Linkin Park, Simple Plan, hip hop, rap artists are considered cool.
:shrug:
I hate teenagers. I really do. Except the ones who love U2.

I don't get too much shit, but that's because I don't really make it that obvious that I'm a fan... Although there are some hints that I give off I think. Like if anyone were to look at my iPod, then about 70% of the time it's gonna have a U2 song playing.

Friends know, of coarse, but I don't really talk about them unless its relevent. They're normally okay with it, but no matter how many times I tell them, they can't accept that Bono is pronouncing his name the right way, and they are getting it wrong. :rolleyes:

The most crap I've ever gotten was in Chem, because that was a tiny class and we were all really close, even if we didn't talk outside of Chem. It was mainly just my friend telling me I had to get some real music on my iPod. 'Real music' being Coldplay and some ringtone songs she really liked. Idiot.
And there was the times when I accidentally shouted "Nothing is fun without Lemons!!!" trying to be clever and put a U2 reference in when we were told we weren't going to do the experiment with lemons. Instead, they all took 'Lemon' as meaning lesbian, which didn't reflect well on me for a while there. :uhoh:

the worst I ever get is some good-natured teasing from my friends
I generally don't reveal the depths of my fandom until I get to know people pretty well, and I've never felt like anyone's thought of me negatively for it

I despise the kids who "love Coldplay" but "hate U2" and give me a hard time about liking U2. But they don't know what they're missing out on. If they think Speed of Sound is such a great song and refuse to listen to Mofo, that's their loss :wink:

over the years ive got a lot of crap about being a u2 fan....especially from my new girlfriend at the time; luckily, that was almost 4 years ago, and now she is almost as big of a fan as I am!

With the exception of the Beatles, I can't really think of a band that someone out there won't make fun of you for liking hardcore. If you like something obsessively people will always take the piss, even if they like the same thing. I don't think it's the best idea (generally, there are sure to be exceptions) to dwell on being a poor U2 fan that gets made fun of when they are really the most popular band in the world, it could be a heck of a lot worse. I bet Coldplay fans get tons of shit.

Honestly, strange as it may seem, almost everyone I knew in High School and College really liked U2, I've never really encountered a person who hated them :shrug:

joerags said:
I don't get why the fuck Green Day, the Killers, Linkin Park, Simple Plan, hip hop, rap artists are considered cool.
:shrug:
I hate teenagers. I really do. Except the ones who love U2. [/B]

I don't think that making broad generalizations towards a diverse genre of music, like hip-hop (which U2 seem to like a lot) or a whole generation of people, like teenagers, is particuarly cool.

Most people have gotten over the fact that I'm a gigantic U2 fan, and that I talk about them all the time. Every once in awhile when I wear the shirt I got from my concert with the band in front of the giant V that says Vertigo '05 on the back, people who sit behind me in class start singing "Uno, dos, tres, catorce...hello, hello, hola, I'm at a place called Vertigo!" It's annoying, but I'm used to it by now and who the hell cares anyway? I got to see the greatest band in the world live and they didn't and I know that they're missing out...:shrug:

Yep. I get teased all of the time. Even my husband says " How is Bone-O"? :ohmy:

I have though turned some minor U2 fans into more fanatically ones though. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
My mouth dropped when I saw the first person with a shirt on. I said something like "Oh my goodness, you're a U2 fan?!" and pointed at him. He kind of mumbled in agreement and darted off, looking scared. Up until that moment, that guy was the only other person my age I'd ever seen outside of a concert who was a fan. :lol:

:lmao: I'm not sure if I feel more sorry for you, or the mumbling guy :cute: :hug: It's harder to find hardcore, do-anything-to-see-them fans here, although I did meet up with two girls in the GA line who were from here. I think that was like winning the lottery, in terms of odds.

I may be going to MUN in the new year to work towards a masters degree. If you see me wearing my U2 shirt, I promise not to run away :sexywink:

I don't get made fun of for being a U2 fan, but then again I'm 38 years old and most people that age like or at least respect U2 (even though I don't know anyone who is as big a fan as I am). I also don't talk about them constantly, so a lot of people don't know how big a fan I am.

It sounds as if the shit we get from people often comes not from liking U2, but from liking U2 SO MUCH and being vocal about it, would that be a fair assesment? :wink:

I'm in my late thirties also, and people my age can remember when liking U2 meant you were cool or cutting-edge!

But I was wondering if any other long-time fans feel as I do--I honestly can't tell if u2 is cool or lame, in-fashion or out...they've been a part of my life for so long, that they are just there...inseparable from my own history! I have fairly good cool-radar about other things, but when it comes to U2, they're sort of a weird pseudo-family member in our home...they may be embarassing or annoying at times, but we love them no matter what!!

promenade said:

But I was wondering if any other long-time fans feel as I do--I honestly can't tell if u2 is cool or lame, in-fashion or out...

Well, considering they are the hottest ticket in rock in concert terms right now I'd definatley say they are popular. As for coolness, I dunno, I'm in the mind that says a band with U2's legacy can't really be described in cool/uncool terms. When you're considered rock legends those terms really don't apply as much and I don't see them fitting into either category.

promenade said:
I'm in my late thirties also, and people my age can remember when liking U2 meant you were cool or cutting-edge!

But I was wondering if any other long-time fans feel as I do--I honestly can't tell if u2 is cool or lame, in-fashion or out...they've been a part of my life for so long, that they are just there...inseparable from my own history! I have fairly good cool-radar about other things, but when it comes to U2, they're sort of a weird pseudo-family member in our home...they may be embarassing or annoying at times, but we love them no matter what!!

That's pretty much how I feel. U2 are "my" band, and even though I criticize them sometimes I could never, ever disown them. The connection goes that deep.

by every1 i know except my best friend and my sister

But who cares :) i'm proud to say I LIKE U2.

stuff like:

asking: isn't that U2? (on the radio), where it's actually Simple Minds or Kane (terrible dutch band that covered U2 once or twice)

Can't help that i have taste and you don't is the most used reply, but there are better :)

Underscore I LOVE U2

I just got made fun of today :huh: ....I don't really mind I mean people that make fun of me for it are those who are into the "NOW" music and that "hate" U2. My parents do make fun of me every once and a while...
People do get bothered when I make a U2 reference or say "yea! its like when U2....." They roll their eyes and tell me the usual..."you're obsessed" but hey its the truth isn't it.
At least I can passionately enjoy something that means so much to me...
But as many have said already....WHO CARES? I'm still going to like them regardless

I get bagged all the time, to the point where I am embarrased to say something. For example, I did entire 110-mark project on major events. We had to come up with our own major event, and mine was a U2 concert (I started the project when things were looking very grim, now we have two shows!). My teacher really wanted to see U2 as well, and while at school last Monday kept giving me updates on how her friend was going with getting tickets. My friends asked me what concert, I said U2. They replied that 'they're shit' and the lead singer's name sounds like 'Boner'. My other friend even asked, 'U2, is that the band with the two chicks?'

I was appalled.

Just compile a list of their favourite bands so I can laugh at them.:wink:

Catman said:
I make fun of people for NOT being a U2 fan.

That's the right attitude, laugh at people who don't know who Leonard Cohen is, make them listen to Bach.

Play "The Fly" twenty four seven and ask them if they've worked their way past the beautiful white noise.

People including family have said to me I could never get so emotionally excited over a group or a person..... (a little dig there)

So in return, I just say, I feel sorry for you that you have never felt that way. Because your missing something in your life!!!:wink:

IrishDawg said:
I despise the kids who "love Coldplay" but "hate U2" and give me a hard time about liking U2.

It is the height of absolute hypocrisy for coldplay fans to be hating U2, because it is coldplay that has been "more" than influenced by them. I can not like some bands that have influenced U2, but I still appreciate them for having a musical influence on my favorite band!

I guess there’s “Radiohead” and “The Killers” fans out there saying U2 is unoriginal :rolleyes:

My father asked me just when I though enough was enough after seeing them a mere four times on this tour!!! I mean seriously this many once shelled out $5000 for a Barbara Streisand concert....:huh: :huh: :huh:

Oh and my mother calls him Bozo just to tick me off....thats love!!

I've never been bagged for being a fan, most people I know all like U2 to a certain degree. Though my dad thinks people who line up for ages to get tickets are eejits, but that's my dad and he hates most music :p .

I never had any problem with that. I'm so convinced U2 is the best band ever that people don't argue. (they know I'm right ;D)

Back
Top Bottom