does anyone else find this really annoying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junkydog

The Fly
I'm talking about Bono's drumming on the chicago dvd.
It's ok until he attempts to throw in an extra beat midway through his 'solo' - after this he loses rhythm so badly. The last 20 seconds of this song becomes unbearable to listen to.... ARGH its so frustrating!!! I cringe everytime!!!!

Yeah, that irks me a lil.

But he compensates for it with his drumming on Sunday Bloody Sunday when he lets the sticks fly. :wink:

i thought it was hilarious, or at least he looked hilarious doing it:bonodrum:, which makes up for his being off beat

junkydog said:
It's ok until he attempts to throw in an extra beat midway through his 'solo' - after this he loses rhythm so badly. The last 20 seconds of this song becomes unbearable to listen to.... ARGH its so frustrating!!! I cringe everytime!!!!

Never noticed. :shrug: I have noticed, both on the DVD and several time live, that the drum beats often sound off because of the delay due to the size of the arena.

Well to be honest I don't like his drumming at all. If he's gonna drum, let them swap completely and let Larry do the singing. :wink:

By the way, wasn't there a U2 song on which Larry did the vocals? I remember reading something about that. :hmm:

I should mention that I am a drummer myself, and so perhaps am particularly sensitive to these kinds of rhythmic travesties

junkydog said:

Bono is playing the same all the time, during the last 20 seconds you're talking about Larry is 'ending' the song (with Edge's solo), you know, slowing down etc. that's why it sounds weird...

nup, you're wrong - the rhythm changes but the tempo stays the same.. right up until the very end

Bono stuffs up!!:madspit:

junkydog said:
nup, you're wrong - the rhythm changes but the tempo stays the same.. right up until the very end

Bono stuffs up!!:madspit:
Good luck in trying to convince fans that Bono is doing something wrong. ;)

I once tried to explain here that the beginning of Wild Honey is messed up (album version as well as live versions).
In that song, Bono comes in 2 beats after the intro has ended instead of starting to sing at the 3rd beat of the last measure of the intro. Thereby he creates a 2/4 measure to sing the words 'in the', which kinda stops the 'flow' of the music.
But the people here would rather believe he intended it to be that way than believe that he just isn't good at rhythm. :shrug:

Yes, he does add some extra raps of the drum in there. Do I find it annoying? Not really. It makes your ears perk up (I'm a quasi-drummer, too) because it's not perfectly in line with the music that comes before. Do I think it's "wrong?" Nope. Seeing as how that part isn't on the album and was created "as is" for the tour, and the fact that Bono does the same thing at just about the same part of the song every time.......I look at it as just a funky addition to the song.

Despite what we're taught in grade school music class, songs don't really have to be in perfect time, key, etc. What great high and mighty being will decide what is a song and what isn't? I mean, look at David Brubek's "Take Five." Who the hell writes a song in 5/4 time?? Yet it's a classic song. :yes:

I don't think the point was ever meant to be that "hey, Bono can play drums". I think it's more like "hey, Bono looks really funny when he tries to play drums!" Being off time just makes it funnier.

WalkOn21 said:
By the way, wasn't there a U2 song on which Larry did the vocals? I remember reading something about that. :hmm:

Not sure if he's ever done a U2 song (it's late and my brain wants to sleep rather than sift through setlist data), but he's sung lead live before. Besides his "Irish drinking songs" on ZooTV, he sung the Eagles' Tequila Sunrise on 1987-12-12.

LPOE is poor on the DVD , it was my best live track on the tour but on the DVD its crap. I blame the crowd.

That's true , the version for New Orleans is better , the opening night also , I also find bad that there's a lack of distortion in Edge's Variax that night , dont know why . The final solo didnt sound as wild as should be coz of it.

I love Bono banging that drum - he's so hot - drives me crazy! :combust: :faint:

:bonodrum: :bonodrum:

Not annoying in the slightest to me :no:

Axver said:
I don't think the point was ever meant to be that "hey, Bono can play drums". I think it's more like "hey, Bono looks really funny when he tries to play drums!" Being off time just makes it funnier.

Exactly. If anyone's disappointed by Bono's drumming, perhaps it's their expectations that are off...

I don't think the quality of the drumming is the point Bono's going for during that bit.

Re: Re: does anyone else find this really annoying?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Never noticed. :shrug: I have noticed, both on the DVD and several time live, that the drum beats often sound off because of the delay due to the size of the arena.

are you sure this would be an issue? :huh: On the DVD everything would be taken from the sound desk so it would be coming straight from the microphone and in the arena they had massive delay towers close to the middle of the floor for those closer to the back, unless you were close to the front I dunno. Bono's probably just a very bad drummer!

yeah, first i was :huh: , wut the heck is he doing? then :laugh: . i think its rather interesting. plus, this :bonodrum: is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom