Does anyone cry to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macphisto777

The Fly
I still sometimes feel compelled to ball my eyes out when listening to certain U2 songs. The songs have become more than just a musical escape but have become so much more. They are pieces of who I am. Pieces of my life , my love, my soul! Sometimes when I listen to Achtung Baby, parts and memories of my life seem to replay as if for the first time leaving me in puddles. Tears , so many tears, so much regret and so much joy, replayed with every listen. Some people have diaries or journals, I have but one journal and it is U2. I have had several different memories tied to one particular song or another. Depending on the day and my heart, a different memory will be recalled at the given moment. Yesterday I was so unfortunate to be bombarded with every memory that was tied to Achtung and it was more than I could handle. Like a wave or a gust of wind I was on my knees and flooding my face was the worst of my past. Am I alone?

Last edited:
not yet. But it was funny because I went to my first u2 show in 2001 with three of my friends, and even though all are fans, I am the only "fantatic". So you'd expect I would shed a tear, but I was just having the time of my life, plus I was a little :drunk: All of us stood up the entire show, but when the band was playing "The Fly" and the words LOVE ME ran across the screen, a minute later I looked over and saw my friend John sitting down, and he wasnt all out crying, but he shed a tear or two. :wink: It's his favorite song. Funny cause hes a huge, Columbian guy from Brooklyn, wouldn't think he was the type to let loose over a song.

You're not alone!..I am sure you will find many, many people who feel or have felt that way about U2's music...I for one have experienced peace, love saddnes happiness ect w/U2 songs...
U2 is a huge part of my life! I listen to other singers/bands and there are songs other than U2's that can have that effect on me but I seem to turn towrds U2 more than any....

by the way macphisto777 when you put your location, you have Atlanta and soon to be L.A...do you Los Angeles?...If so let me know, you might want to join the LAU2FANS, great bunch of people and also the home of local U2 tribute band Joshua Tree...
:wink:

BonoFox1
I will be moving to Los Angeles at the end of Dec. Lord willing. Very interested in LAU2FANS. I am completely with you there on the fact that other bands have had that " effect " on you but you always go back to U2. Do you live in L. A.?

Last edited:
The Slane DVD gives me chills down the spinefor the whole entire of the show. Especially for Out Of Control, that almost brings me to tears.

The Gloria video clip also makes me cry....tears of laughter:wink:

No, I don't think I have ever cried because of a U2 song. However, it has almost brought me to tears to see Bono crying about his father when he sang "Kite" at the Slane concert, and to see his lonely pleas during songs like "Wake Up Dead Man."

Bono can make me cry in more than one way.

I've cried to U2 songs before... but seemingly postiitve ones aswell as more sentimental ones. I know a lot of people turn to songs by bands like REM when they feel down and out, but I think Bono has managed to document every human emotion somehow, in one song or another. It's very odd, but the song that I've cried to most is 'Beautiful Day'.

Of course I’m a grown man and would never cry…

except to music!

There are several kinds of tears and U2 inspires a wide range of emotions including but not limited to:

Shock at the beauty of certain moments such as the link from All I Want is You to Streets or Please to Streets or Bad to Streets or probably any song to Streets.

Sadness of moments such as Kite.

Joy of moments such as the opening notes of Beautiful Day or Edge’s guitar towards the end of One (live).

But usually it is just a kind of breathless cry at the beauty of the moment accompanied by raised arm hair and shivering spine.

A song hasn't made me cry, but I can be at an emotional 'point' for whatever reason, and the right (U2) song can tip me over the edge tear wise..

I have cried during U2 songs on more than one occasion....it is usually because I have been so greatly moved rather than saddened by any particular song.....when a band puts that much of themselves into a performance (such as slane) you can't not feel it.

Edge's guitar opening of "Streets" almost always produces tears for me ... we cried through most of the concert we went to 10/10/01. It was a sentimental concert for us -- we sang our mother home that night with Bono and the gang.

U2's music brings out a lot of emotions in me. I have a listen and a good cry....it makes me feel better afterwards....Much cheaper than therapy too!:wink:

The songs that often make me cry are Walk On, Bad, Stuck In A Moment, and Running To Stand Still...

I have cried to "Grace" and I still cry to "One tree Hill" and "Peace on Earth". Sometimes i skip "Mothers of the disappeared" on Joshua Tree b/c it makes me wanna cry.
Also, when i was on a bus going through the mountains or something i put Streets on my headphones and nearly cried because the effect of listening to the music and looking out the window was so beautiful.

first time i saw U2 in concert for the first leg of Zoo TV - I shed a tear or three. I don't generally cry hearing their music but can be quite moved.

I think I mainly cry to U2 in my car somehow.

I've cried to Peace on Earth there.
I've cried to Kite, odd tears of relief.
I
've cried to Walk On there, in thecar, too, at a moment of feeling very vulnerable but indeed driving on as it were.
And I've cried to Acrobat, with my headphones on, standing outside a library, having an illicit smoke.
At least that's what I'm recalling today in my crying-to-u2 experience.

cheers despite the teary subject...

I cried after I just found out we just fucking elected geroge bush for four more years. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK, so for the language, I apologize, but WHAT THE HELL ARE PEOPLE THINKING?

oh, it's official then?!
yeah, a good cry might be in order....
i've been resigned to it for a couple hours, so I'm just a little numb actually.
oh well....hillary will rock in 4 years!!!
don't you just love the idea of bill clinton being the first ...the first...what...gentleman?:lol:
I really love the idea:yes:

It's not official, but it is...what an awful day in American history, in world history. Our economy is completely horrible, prices are way up, we're in a country we have no business being in, and top it off....he just lifted the ban on assault weapons.. HURAYYY!!

This fucking seriously reminds me of middle school, when we voted for class president. Remember? One guy wins when he says "I'll put coke in all of the water fountains" or "I'll extend lunch one hour." And then he wins. I need to start a thread to vent my frustration.

Streets during the Elevation tour choked me up every time. Also Walk On and One were very emotional.

RademR said:
I cried after I just found out we just fucking elected geroge bush for four more years. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK, so for the language, I apologize, but WHAT THE HELL ARE PEOPLE THINKING?

This doesn't make me cry but it pisses the hell out of me. I have no idea what people could be thinking but it looks like they're not thinking (ie voting 'morality' vs. actual issues like our trillion dollar deficit or the mess in Iraq)

...Sorry for going off topic...

I didn't cry, I was the same as you...mad as hell. It is UNBELIEVABLE that people voted for this guy...I dont mean to bash the Bush supporters, this is a democracy, but can you seriously watch the debates and listen to Bush talk and actually think he should be the leader of the free world? GIVE ME A BREAK. This is going to be a long 4 years.

There are several U2 songs that really make me emotional and bring me close to tears, songs that have done it before are Running to Stand Still, The First Time, the live acoustic version of One I have on my computer, Bad, and that's all I can think of right now.

Back
Top Bottom