Does anybody have NEWS about any NEW U2 DVDs ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyOffTheWall

Babyface
I shouldn't complain because I have my share of dvds including the commercial releases (joshua tree, r&h, boston) and the others -- the superbowl dvd and even a rare dvd transfer from tape of the amnesty international tour. . .

BUT, I don't understand why the powers at be don't release all the previously released VHS tapes as DVDs????? Granted it takes some effort on their part, with remastering and all, but there seems to be a HUGE demand. . . Is there any hope of the older VHS tapes (e.g. zoo tv, popmart mexico) coming out on DVD ??

Those lame VCDs just don't cut it. . . :lol:

We post about it very often in here..

But all we know from Paul McG is that there will possibly be more releases around November.

Other than that, no new news. :(

What is the Amnesty DVD transfer? And yes, it drives me crazy too!??!??!? I mean it does not make any sense? The record companies are complaining that they are losing money and yet across the board they are not releasing their catalogues of video material to DVD (Ifind this witha lot of bands not just U2). There has got to be a reason because it seems that it would be a great source of revenue. Mexico City, Under A Blood Red Sky, U2 Down Under, as well as the video sets in the catalogue will be on my shelf as soon as they are released to DVD, so come on people!!!!

I posted this last Christmastime I think but here's what I heard:

I asked the dude who worked in the Suncoast video if the U2 movies would all be on DVD. (I don't have a player but I was asking for my sister in law, and someday I might have one) and he told me that Rattle and Hum was out (I know it is now) and that ZOOTV would be coming, there were definite plans to put it on DVD soon. He told me that PopMart was not a big seller on video, and not only would not be put on DVD it was probably going to be discontinued on VHS. (He was no Pop fan either) He said he had heard nothing either way on Under a Blood Red Sky or anything else. He runs a video store so I figure he knows.

ultraviolet353 said:
What is the Amnesty DVD transfer?

I found (on ebay) a guy who was selling a DVD that he made from a digital transfer of the Amnesty Int'l tour that U2 did with the Police -- they each have about 8 songs on the DVD. The quality is okay -- it's what the tape quality was -- but it was a really important concert for the whole passing of the baton thing from the Police to U2 -- and one never gets tired of seeing Bono in that ridiculous vest he used to wear! :D

I assumed that they would evetually release both ZooTV and Popmart on DVD because of the trailer for those videos that was on the Elevation DVD. I mean it appeared to me that that was a "coming soon" to DVD advertising effort. It didn't explicitly say so but why advertise VHS vidoes on DVD?

U2Kitten said:
I asked the dude who worked in the Suncoast video

Sounds reliable to me... :eyebrow:

It just makes sense that if there are clips of each of these videos on the Boston DVD, then some if not the full concert has already been transferred to DVD. I think they are waiting for the right time to release the DVDs to the public, and that could be some time from now since before they were promoting ATYCLB, and now the new Best Of. With a huge company like Universal controlling the marketing of the world's biggest band, it would only make sense for them to put as much of their material as possible onto DVD, which will soon overtake VHS tapes in sales.

I think we will eventually see the major videos show up on DVD. It is all a question of how popular U2 stay. If they remain as big as they are now, we could see these DVDs very soon.

elecman said:
I assumed that they would evetually release both ZooTV and Popmart on DVD because of the trailer for those videos that was on the Elevation DVD. I mean it appeared to me that that was a "coming soon" to DVD advertising effort. It didn't explicitly say so but why advertise VHS vidoes on DVD?
i thought the same thing as well.

i think we will eventually see all the U2 VHS stuff making its way onto DVDs, it'll just take a while. especially where older stuff is concerned, i would think maybe it wasn't shot on as good quality of film (??? just a guess...) so maybe it's harder to do that stuff. i know older stuff i've seen that's been released on DVD sometimes isn't too good of quality. they may be taking their time with this stuff to make sure it's worth paying $25+ for it.

but i would definitely think maybe zoo tv might be out like by the end of the year or something...i guess. i certainly don't have insider info so believe me, it's not a tip i have or anything, lol.

FlyOffTheWall said:

I found (on ebay) a guy who was selling a DVD that he made from a digital transfer of the Amnesty Int'l tour that U2 did with the Police -- they each have about 8 songs on the DVD. The quality is okay -- it's what the tape quality was -- but it was a really important concert for the whole passing of the baton thing from the Police to U2 -- and one never gets tired of seeing Bono in that ridiculous vest he used to wear! :D

I found that too, on ebay but instead from the same seller I got a DVD transfer of 2 of their best performances ever: Live Aid 1985 and Superbowl 36 Halftime show 2002. The quality is just damn fuckin good. :yes: Video/Audio is soo crisp on the live aid portion even. :up: glad i didn't have to buy the superbowl dvd, this is better!

jesseu2 said:

I found that too, on ebay but instead from the same seller I got a DVD transfer of 2 of their best performances ever: Live Aid 1985 and Superbowl 36 Halftime show 2002. The quality is just damn fuckin good. :yes: Video/Audio is soo crisp on the live aid portion even. :up: glad i didn't have to buy the superbowl dvd, this is better!

are you guys sure these aren't just vcd's with mpeg files?

Back
Top Bottom