Does anybody else smell DELAY???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Lately, there has just been a foul stinch in the air. It's not a fart or a dead animal, it's the smell of U2 delaying their album past march. Daniel Lanois came in, first of all. This probably means he'll give them input (aka "Start completely over"), and take them in a different direction. Also, the fact that Bono and Edge said the songs are shite and that they need to go back to the drawing board makes me think that they aren't as far along as we'd all like to believe.

Though the delay sucks, I would never want U2 to put something out that they were not happy with. Does anybody smell it?

I've sensed a whiff as well.

Let them take their time - I'd wouldn't want them to feel commercial pressure to release the album.

I'm thinking delay too, but if it all makes the album worth the wait, that's okay!

Schmeg said:
I'm thinking delay too, but if it all makes the album worth the wait, that's okay!

I agree. It'll be okay once it finally comes out. Until then, delays suck major ass! I need to have a smoke....ugh.:mad:

The longer they delay, the harder it is for them. They had real momentum after ATYCLB. Momentum which they let slip away by taking 3 1/2 years to write and record 11 songs.

No. They're putting finishing touches - like adding orchestra to 3 songs - and they wanted Lanois' opinion. Yes it's been a while since the last album, but they spent 2001 touring, and probably a major part of 2002 making the Best of.
There's still time till March 2004.

Last edited:
Calm down everyone and don't be so impatient!

If there's a delay, then so be it. I would definitly rather wait longer for an album that the band were completely happy with instead of having a repeat of POP (which the band were pressurised into releasing early). We've waited three years, I don't think another six months, or even a year, will make too much of a difference.

And anyway we have over 22 years of past work to keep us entertained along the way - ten studio albums, live albums, greatest hits and countless "unofficial shows" across the web.

So chill out, it'll come when it comes! :)

Last edited:
Well, whatever young fans they gained w/ ATYCLB have moved on by now. 3-4 years is a lifetime in today's "MTV" market. They're shooting themselves in the foot by taking so long, good record or not.

and wasn't it larry who said they wanted to maike a quick follow up of atyclb because they wanted to take advantage of that momentum, and that a second album after a good album is the one that becomes really big?

yeah i guess they decided to throw that theory out the window

MrBrau1 said:
Well, whatever young fans they gained w/ ATYCLB have moved on by now. 3-4 years is a lifetime in today's "MTV" market. They're shooting themselves in the foot by taking so long, good record or not.

Not all young fans...:wave:.

And besides, who cares if kids who watch MTV like the new album or not (besides, you never know, some of those kids may be reeled back in, or if not them, some new fans will probably pop up somewhere).

It just seems U2 can't win-some people don't like Pop because of the fact that it was put out before the band was fully ready for it to be, as Joshua_Tree_Hugger pointed out, and they wish the band would've worked more on the songs.

Now the band is taking their time on this album (and really, hasn't U2, for the most part, tended to take a few years to make an album anyway? Why is it such a shock for some people here that we've been waiting for three years?), and people are complaining about that.

Waiting sucks, yes. But I want U2 to make sure that this album is fully done the way they want it, and that everything's in order, and that they're fully happy with the results. And if that means waiting for a while...:shrug:. Then so be it. Good things come to those who wait.

Besides, it'll give me more time to save up money for one of their concerts. :).

Angela

This will wind up being the longest U2 has taken to make a record. Lots of other good bands will put out 2-3 in that timeframe.

i like how people think pop would have been so much better if they would have taken their time

i mean, throw in the singles and remixed versions on the best of and thats what it would have been like if they had time to "finish it"

i think some people think it would have been a drastically different album, but in reality the differences would be minimal, just the differences between the songs on the album and the finished versions which are on the singles and best of

the differences between the songs arent enough to make people have a different opinion on whether they like pop or not

sometimes i think u2 are too worried about having everything perfect

Last edited:
Chizip said:

sometimes i think u2 are too worried about having everything perfect

They really are. If the song is good, we'll love it, whether it's Gone from Pop, Gone from Best Of, or Gone from Boston or SATS from Pop, SATS from Best Of or SATS Live Acoustic, or Pleae from Pop, Please Single version, Please Live on Popheart EP. This counld go on, and on, and...

Moonlit_Angel said:
And besides, who cares if kids who watch MTV like the new album or not (besides, you never know, some of those kids may be reeled back in, or if not them, some new fans will probably pop up somewhere).
Exactly. I don't care if they listen or not...most of what they watch and enjoy on MTV is crap anyway, so their opinions mean nothing to me. And they won't be buying the tickets I want to their shows. :evil:

MrBrau1 said:

They really are. If the song is good, we'll love it, whether it's Gone from Pop, Gone from Best Of, or Gone from Boston or SATS from Pop, SATS from Best Of or SATS Live Acoustic, or Pleae from Pop, Please Single version, Please Live on Popheart EP. This counld go on, and on, and...

true enough, I do agree with you.

but in the end, I think it's whether or not they love it that deems whether or not it's finished.

Lanois is just playing the role of "a new ear" for the band. Like mentioned before, this is the same thing the band has used Lillywhite for in the past. I believe he was brought in (for only one week, reportedly) to help make track slections for the album.

As for the quotes about certain songs soundng like 'shite' those were 3 tracks that the band were trying to add a string sevtion too. I'm sure they've got 8 or 9 or even more songs already completed.

They have the rest of November (3+weeks) and the rest of December, and possibly even part of January, and they still could have it out by April. So yes, it might be delayed a few weeks or a month, but when you've been waiting for this long, what is another month?

I woldn't get too worried about a long delay, not yet anyways. Wait until Lanois is interviewed in the next week or so about the time he spent with U2, wait and see what he has to say about it.

I wouldn't consider this a "delay" since I never heard from any super official sources march for sure. I really believe in my heart that the album will be out before end of 2nd quarter 2004. I also echo other peoples sentiments I would rather wait than get something prematurely. Although waiting kind of sucks...

*ansy*

I get the distinct feeling there's a delay.

I don't care so much if I have to wait 3 extra months or whatever, but I do feel it is very advantageous to have a solid period of time between the album release and the start of the tour. This is what worries me.

I'm with MrBrau1 on this one. U2 is killing whatever momentum they had with ATYCLB. People can point to their releasing the Greatest Hits Album, but that album didn't do as well as their first Greatest Hits (I think) and its still "old material." People sometimes don't consider Greatest Hits as real albums. Bands have hurt their careers or the impact they have on the mainstream by taking long breaks between albums.

People might say its not important what the young people think etc. but those are the people U2 want to pull in and have always tried to appeal to b/c to some degree relevance doesn't work if you're not appealing to the young cd listener in some way.

U2 put out great albums within a year or two from each other. Perfectionism is overrated IMO.

My guesstimations

1980 - Boy
1981/1982 - October
1983 - War
1985 - Unforgettable Fire
1987 - Joshua Tree
1989 - Rattle & Hum
1991/1992 - Achtung Baby
1993 - Zooropa

Also we all know they already did the album cover photoshoot and we heard from various members of their sound crew (at that Stones concert and O'Herlihy himself) and the band (both Larry and Edge) they're going on tour in 2004.

The Waits:

Rattle and Hum 10-88
AB 11-91 (3 years, 1 month)
Zooropa 5-93 (1 year, 6 months)
POP 3-97 (3 years, 10 months)
ATYCLB 10-00 (3 years, 7 months)

April 2004 would be (3 years, 6 months)

So really it's not all that unique for them. Zooropa was intended to be an EP, because the band were headed right back out to tour after they were done recording, so it explains that quick release.

This is par for the course, it will be out in 6 or 7 months either way. I HOPE!

Unforgettable Fire was released in 1984, and then what did people hear of U2, with the exception of live Aid, for the 3 years between UF and the Joshua Tree? As far as I know, not much, but I could be wrong considering I wasn't alive then, but look what came out of that 3 year wait between UF, which was really good to JT-, which I think is their most amazing album to date. Maybe we're going to get another amazing album.I think that their best album came after a 3 year wait, so who knows?Maybe the next album will be another HUGE hit like JT, except obviously with a different sound and approach

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom