Do you think U2 will be remembered more as a studio or as a live band? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2002, 01:24 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by david
This question doesn't even need to be asked.

Old 07-03-2002, 02:41 PM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:11 AM
lol... U2girl is bustin' peeples' chops.

Old 07-03-2002, 03:04 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Is it the end of the world if it's a question instead?
No...I was just asking...sorry...
Old 07-03-2002, 07:30 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Studio, because that is what will remain after the tours and the band itself are over for good. I would argue that albums like Joshua, Achtung and ATYCLB will have more of an impact in the long run than the memories of tours like ZooTV and Elevation. And yes, I think this is probably true for almost all bands. Led Zeppelin was reportedly an unbelievable live act--I saw Page and Plant a few years ago, and that was plenty amazing enough--but do people go on more about the '71 tour (or whatever) or Led Zeppelin IV?
Old 07-03-2002, 07:47 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight
Studio, because that is what will remain after the tours and the band itself are over for good. I would argue that albums like Joshua, Achtung and ATYCLB will have more of an impact in the long run than the memories of tours like ZooTV and Elevation. And yes, I think this is probably true for almost all bands. Led Zeppelin was reportedly an unbelievable live act--I saw Page and Plant a few years ago, and that was plenty amazing enough--but do people go on more about the '71 tour (or whatever) or Led Zeppelin IV?

You've got a point. The live shows last two or so hours, the tours end.....I mean, hell, I didn't know what kind of live band Zeppelin was because I never saw them live. But they made some kick butt music and that's still there for us to hear. Ditto with any other band. Still, I think any really good books about any of these bands will have plenty of live pictures of them. They're not exactly going to leave that out.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:00 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

You've got a point. The live shows last two or so hours, the tours end.....I mean, hell, I didn't know what kind of live band Zeppelin was because I never saw them live. But they made some kick butt music and that's still there for us to hear. Ditto with any other band. Still, I think any really good books about any of these bands will have plenty of live pictures of them. They're not exactly going to leave that out.
No, not at all--they should go down as one of the great live bands. But I think people are more likely to say "The Joshua Tree, there's an album for the ages" than "ZooTV, that was a defining moment of the twentieth century." Though some people will certainly say both!
Old 07-03-2002, 11:29 PM   #27
The Fly

As a studio band, of course. With the possible exceptions of James Brown and the Grateful Dead, no pop artist has ever been remembered primarily for their live work.

Hey, it's happened to the best of them -- Bob Dylan, the Velvet Underground, and even Springsteen (all superior live acts to U2). In every case, the recorded work will live longer than the live legend.

Besides, to fully know what a great live band U2 is (was), you'd have to chase down bootlegs, and -- fanatics (and Interferencers)aside -- people are not willing to do this.

As I insisted in an earlier thread (and got a bunch of blank stares over it), U2 is an utterly awesome studio band, truly world-class record makers, so it's fine by me if they're remembered chiefly for their records.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:27 PM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 02:11 AM
both
Old 07-04-2002, 08:29 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I'm going to settle on both. While various people are going to have opinions on just who the heck was best live there are enough people, and have been for twenty-plus years, who've made note and commentated on U2's live shows. I remember even in the early days we used to claim that as good as the records were you hadn't lived until you'd seen them live. Reputations last, even if the shows themselves end. The Elevation shows were so amazing that I cannot imagine them just slipping off into obscurity. Of course they'll be known for their studio work as well, for reasons we've already mentioned.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:48 PM   #30
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:11 AM
I would have to say more studio than live. When I first heard them in '82, I was too young to be able to go to a concert at a club that they performed in. Most of the kids my age - listened to the album and watched MTV.

While live they are awesome, the cd's are what really makes me quiver.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:50 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:11 AM
live
Old 07-05-2002, 05:06 PM   #32
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight
Unless U2 releases some kick ass live albums I think your right. For them to be remembered as a major live act they need a defining live album like Deep Purple had with Made in Japan or some earthshaking filmrecording of a live performance like Jimi Hendrix on Woodstock.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:52 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Muad'zin

Unless U2 releases some kick ass live albums I think your right. For them to be remembered as a major live act they need a defining live album like Deep Purple had with Made in Japan or some earthshaking filmrecording of a live performance like Jimi Hendrix on Woodstock.
You're probably right. Heck, I'd forgotten about Deep Purple's "Made in Japan". Damn! Now that I think about it that was one kick-a** album. But there I went and forgot about it.