Do You Think U2 Plan Their "Leaks"? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Do You Think U2 Plan Their "Leaks"?

Their have been many, many instances where U2 songs have been leaked. Just to mention the recent ones...
10 of the 30 second samples from ATYCLB were "accidentally" left on U2.com for some poor unsuspecting person to hack into. Later, ATYCLB was leaked by someone who lived in Iceland, if I remember correctly, (which sounded a little odd to me, but whatever), and now we have Bono giving a DJ, of all people, the "demo" version of 'Electrical Storm'??? A DJ who just happens to work for BBC Radio 1. Hmmm...I'm thinking what better way to generate a little hype than to get a DJ to play the new single before its release? Oh, but it was just a "gift," of course! Haha. Right. If they do plan them -- or "set them up" -- I must say, I do like U2's style.

Questions, comments, cries of outrage all welcome...

Old 08-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 07:03 PM
YES, especially this time...and we have been givng them all the market research they wanted...

I dont think the ATYCLB snippets on U2.com was done intentionally, they put them on their server and just didnt think anyone (Riversteed from Interference in October 2000)would be smart enough and have enough time to play with the file extensions and make them work!

Old 08-29-2002, 03:15 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

It seems a little fishy to me too.

Didn't something like this happen with "Discotheque" too? I didn't have the internet back then, but I remember hearing something.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:03 PM

The early leaks are totally planned. The only one I don't think was planned was the Outtakes. Those are the only leaks that Bono has ever talked about. The band never said really anything about the other ones. The band has always created a buzz about themselves before releasing anything since POP. The Buzz is cool
Old 08-29-2002, 03:23 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm sure they purposefully set "leaks." Why shouldn't they? I don't care what the record executives say, leaking helps sell albums.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:31 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man

Anyone remember the fishy story behind the early leakage of the Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man snippets? A member of Wire claiming to be from Bulgaria claimed he hacked it from U2's old MSN Pop Web site. Or some such nonsense. I remember being too thrilled about the new U2 to care about the decidedly unlikely explanation. What was that guys name again?? Anyone remember? Victor? Or Martin??

MAP
Old 08-29-2002, 04:27 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Re: Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000
Anyone remember the fishy story behind the early leakage of the Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man snippets? A member of Wire claiming to be from Bulgaria claimed he hacked it from U2's old MSN Pop Web site. Or some such nonsense. I remember being too thrilled about the new U2 to care about the decidedly unlikely explanation. What was that guys name again?? Anyone remember? Victor? Or Martin??

MAP
I remember this well - off the old WIRE. And I think it was Martin from Hungary (or that's how he always called himself ).

However, the story I recall him stating is that he acquired a special "demo" taping of these songs. He said that it was a short video that U2 was presenting to their label to show them the progress on their album. It contained the two 30 second clips of the two songs and some other filler. He made .wav files of those songs and put them on the 'net. Soon, everyone was downloading them and burning them onto CDs! I heard that in the U.K., bootleggers were selling CD's of those two clips (a total of 1 minute in music) for $10!!

I'm not so sure though that this leak was "planned." Supposedly, Island contacted Martin and had him remove the sound files from his website. Of course, at the time, all of us agreed that this was some of the best FREE marketing U2 ever received! So even if this was truly "accidental" it worked well for U2. I'm convinced that this is why U2 had 30 second clips of the new AYTLCB songs a few years later - to generate that hype again.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:40 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by madonna's child
I'm sure they purposefully set "leaks." Why shouldn't they? I don't care what the record executives say, leaking helps sell albums.
I dunno, the only people who care about things like snippets and early demo's are the real fans and you can count on them buying the singles/albums anyway. If there is indeed some intentionally leaking going on, it could be just to amuse themselves about all the hype surrounding these or just to keep the fans busy.

I hope Bono leaked it on purpose, or else he'd be a complete dumbass for giving the demo at someone from the BBC.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:49 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

I dunno, the only people who care about things like snippets and early demo's are the real fans and you can count on them buying the singles/albums anyway. If there is indeed some intentionally leaking going on, it could be just to amuse themselves about all the hype surrounding these or just to keep the fans busy.

I hope Bono leaked it on purpose, or else he'd be a complete dumbass for giving the demo at someone from the BBC.
I see what you are saying, but I think the point of a leak is to generate hype not just among the "hardcore fans," but also the general media. And in this context, this particular leak of 'E-Storm' worked. It's all over the print, radio and television music media as we speak. Just check out youtwo.net for proof.

I also don't buy the argument that these leaks are not planned on the basis of record companies closing sites and getting upset. It clearly has nothing to do with the record companies. It's the band that "plans" these leaks, if anything. Somehow, I don't think Bono is too concerned about what the record company thinks about something like that, as long as they don't think it was his intention. (And I'm not saying it is, but it could be, and that's the point of this discussion...)
Old 08-29-2002, 04:52 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Probably, ... since what happened to Discotheque.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

definitely - the band is very tech savvy and they know the power of the internet.

bono would not just "give" a demo of a new song to a friend who 'happens' to be a DJ...
Old 08-29-2002, 07:30 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 08:03 AM
They are scripted ...

From the Achtung Baby Outtakes ..to the ZooTV soundboards (not the broadcasts) -TO PROMOTE ACHTUNG
...to the early versions of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man - TO PROMOTE POP
...to the earpiece recordings of a lot of Popmart shows ...to the Popmart videos from the official cameras (Vegas full show comes to mind) -TO PROMOTE THE POPMART MEXICO VIDEO RELEASE

...to the video snippet of TGBHF ...to the publicity stunt of Bono allegedly losing his laptop then looking like a hero for rewarding the finder a princely sum - TO CREATE BUZZ ABOUT ATYCLB

...to the alleged "weekly updates" of the ATYCLB preview tracks when in fact they were all there in the first week - TO PROMOTE ATYCLB

...to the ALD recordings of Elevation Tour stuff -TO PROMOTE THE BOSTON VIDEO

...and now to this alleged demo version of ES. It's all obviously pre-planned and well-calculated.

U2 aren't only musical geniuses, they are marketing geniuses too.

Cheers,

J
Old 08-29-2002, 07:58 PM   #13
Acrobat

OK, here's something I heard last night on Musique Plus (which is basically our MTV here in Montreal):
The VJ said that Bono apparently attended the wedding of the dj that leaked the demo on the radio and that his wedding gift was to give the guy a copy of the demo so that he would be the first to play it. Don't know if there's any truth to this but it does sound like something Bono might do...
Old 08-29-2002, 10:18 PM   #14
War Child

I'm 1000% convinced that they are involved in the leaks. They are very intelligent and technically savvy, and they'd be completely ignorant (which we know they aren't) if they didn't know what would happen.

You don't think that someone they have working for them isn't on these pages every day monitoring these threads (or even their record company -- but most likely someone working directly for them -- they are independent enough)? Abso-bleeping-lutely. They are a corporation (like it or not) with a marketing department, etc., and they can attract and hire the best in the business to test and analyze every avenue.

You better believe they are involved!

They absolutely understand how resourceful their fans are (we are a reflection of the band we love), and they know that we pounce on every inch they give. And no matter how "from the heart" their music is, don't think for a minute that they aren't calculating. They're smart, they use all their resources, and we are a huge resource. I'm not trying to make us sound or feel overly important in the scheme of things, but we most definitely are.
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 08-29-2002, 11:46 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yes, it's all a conspiracy, propaganda, and dysinformation.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:07 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I've believed since the Discotheque leak that U2 has been somehow involved with the leaks of their new music. Let's face it, when Acthung Baby was being recorded you heard nothing from U2 for about 2 years. Sure this was before the Internet, but still nothing.

The leaks that did come out of those sessions were thoroughly denounced and lawsuits followed.

Zooropa, Passengers you heard nothing until the product was released.

Then during Pop, which was made in the Internet era there were all kinds of information that surfaced. First the Martin snippets leak, and then a site, that will remain un-named, gave us the unfinished version of Discotheque.

Somehow I just can't believe that the BBC would play this 'so-called' demo of 'Electrical Storm' without some sort of OK, from either Principle or Universal. I'm not sure, but I think the BBC is pretty much by the book, right?

I think this was a planned leak, no doubt.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:26 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

must... refrain... from.. making... fun.. of.. the.. subject... line...
Old 08-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #18
Refugee

Noo doubt that BBC would play this song without permission from U2. If they played that U2 would never do an interview or concert or any sponsers. This is one of the biggest compainies in the world they are professional enough not to do this!!!

PLANNED LEAKS!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:11 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:03 AM
i bet they couldnt decide which version to be the official single so they're letting us choose lol
Old 08-30-2002, 01:21 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lady lemonade
OK, here's something I heard last night on Musique Plus (which is basically our MTV here in Montreal):
The VJ said that Bono apparently attended the wedding of the dj that leaked the demo on the radio and that his wedding gift was to give the guy a copy of the demo so that he would be the first to play it. Don't know if there's any truth to this but it does sound like something Bono might do...
Hello,

If you replace guy with girl in the quote above (and he with she), then you are totally correct. The DJ was the bride, not the groom. I only forgot her name... Ah well, nevermind.

C ya!

Marty