Do you think there will ever be a U2 ANTHOLOGY (CD/DVD) like the Beatles Anthology?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know in 1997, around the time of POP, Bono dismissed the idea, just like he has been promising us for the last 15 years that U2 are recording a:

"- insert adjective here - (wild and hard are most often used) rock album"

More recently Edge talked about the "leftover songs from each album that they have"

So the question is: do you think there will ever be a U2 Anthology?

It may not be for another 15-20 years, but I think that there will be someday.......

Evidence for this is in the Best Of compilations (past and future)-

prior to 1998, U2 never-ever wanted to look back at their careers....

what do you think?

I don't know what you are meaning exactly? Do you wonder if U2 will ever release an album like the Anthology series by The Beatles (which would include mainly different - in progress - versions of released songs) or do you wonder if U2 will ever release an album with previously unreleased songs (as with The Bootleg Series Volume 1-3 by Bob Dylan)?
I don't see the first scenario happen. As you said, they dismissed the idea in an interview around the time Pop was released. Bono said something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) "just before we are hitting it, we are NOT hitting it" (meaning that just before they have a great version of a song, they are playing some rubbish version in their eyes).
The second scenario might very well happen. U2 apparently has some great unreleased songs lying around (even though many are probably not finished), so I wouldn't be surprised if those will be released someday. But I don't think it will happen in the near future. I think the band wants to concentrate on releasing new material and not on some old unreleased stuff (which is much more difficult to track, catalog and value than previously released material).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom